Time Trial PB's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I entered the ToC Chrono (TT) in 2018 and today I got to ride it. I couldn't get motivated about it, a lot has happened in that time, and the crazy wind never helped either. I somehow got back to a 39s course PB against my previous 2017 pb (unsurprisingly it was also over 12mins faster than 2018).
Screenshot_20220611-195812_Strava.jpg

FB_IMG_1654958884545.jpg

Another course PB for me tonight, a 26s course PB on the Helpston Bluebell TT (24.01). If a car/caravan hadn't pulled out of Joe 's corner and got stuck turning right I might have got below 24mins, then again I might have blew up 😂

FB_IMG_1655330397220.jpg

FB_IMG_1655330387334.jpg

Sharky

Guru
Not quite a PB, in fact it was almost 6 mins slower than my PB. But the latter was done 53 yrs ago. No tonight got inside evens with a 29:46. Have been trying to get under 30 mins for almost 3 years, ever since lockdowns interupted TT's and training. So quite pleased on this very hot Tuesday night.

Not quite a PB, in fact it was almost 6 mins slower than my PB. But the latter was done 53 yrs ago. No tonight got inside evens with a 29:46. Have been trying to get under 30 mins for almost 3 years, ever since lockdowns interupted TT's and training. So quite pleased on this very hot Tuesday night.

Well done!

Hot air is well-known as producing fast times [hence hot velodromes for hour records], so I can see why folks wanted to race :P
We cancelled last night's training ride, but that's a bit different. I would say with a 10-mile TT it's a bit of a knife-edge - it's short enough to be lower risk, riders will go fast, but if it's tooooo hot for any rider the consequences could be quite bad.
I don't know your exact local conditions, but I would have cancelled a race round here last night. Better safe than sorry, yada yada ...

Last edited:
After doing my first 10 back in 2019 I finally got round to doing another :rolleyes: I did the Tricycle Association NW region 10 just outside Garstang on my new to me Longstaff and managed 31:56 even though I got Left hooked by an errant Range Rover on the outward leg, Knocked nearly a minute off my previous PB so I'm happy :smile:

I some how came away with a 2.5mins pb on the Leo 30 TT today.

I spent too much time tinkering with the brake balance in warm up and never really noticed the time. I wasn’t too worried though as it was only a mile to the start! WRONG after I realised it was a bit further than that (2miles) I had to up the pace. Thankfully I made it with 20s to spare and the really good pusher off’er, who held my bike very secure, enabled me to collect my self before the start. I decided against restarting the strava though
joy.png

First Lap Good (well for me at least).
Second Lap terrible, however:
At the end of the 1st Lap my visor had started to steam up.
So I rode on the base bar, peering through a slot.
I stood up at one point and 'Oh Sh1t!" No Arm feeling at all ! I’d forgotten about load management when I was too busy peering through the visor. I don’t know if its a post op/chemo thing (it certainly damaged my blood circulation) or a general population thing but it seems on harder long efforts my blood seems to gets diverted away from from my finger, then hands, then arms :ohmy:
Eventually I couldn’t see at all and with a roundabout coming up and no feeling in my arms to turn, I stopped and flipped the visor up (you can see in the ride stats graph me coasting down to 0 about 5minutes from the end of the ride)
Got going again and the visor ripped off 1/2 a mile down the road (If I’d known I was going to loose it I’d whipped it off a lap earlier).
I stood up to inject some of the spare energy I had in my legs and it was an instant “Oh Sh1t” again as my left arm seemed to collapse
astonished.png

Net result legs 60-70% spent lungs 80% and arms 150% spent :-/
At least the dropout bodge stopped the axle completely rotating out of true and I only got minor brake rub and no frame rub! and I came away with some all time power records, basically everything over 1h 15 to the end of the ride (1:17:22); if things hadn’t went wrong I wouldn’t have got them
joy.png

5741a07a84f8ceb3978efa07e4c565a5c2318d7a_2_690x242.png

890b02a94c61f321aa6ec15c52616f604fa54f8b_2_690x214.jpg

Nicely the HQ was busier than normal likely due to the presence of this guy. My mate who finished 2nd was actually faster than him but Dowsett was on a road bike
joy.png

4333d9109350657b622a1d06f1f66381b87daafd_2_375x500.jpg

<mutters to anyone who cares - i.e. nobody - about CTT safety, the number of deaths from riding into parked cars, and helmet rules ... hrumph ... >

No chance of me doing that in a bolt upright position even with a clear visor and stopping when I felt visibility was too bad with the steaming visor. Lesson learnt don't wipe a KASK visor with a dry glasses microfiber cloth 😂

Sharky

Guru
<mutters to anyone who cares - i.e. nobody - about CTT safety, the number of deaths from riding into parked cars, and helmet rules ... hrumph ... >

Have been too close to such an incident. Back in 1967/68, on the J14 course, started about 15 mins behind the rider in question. When I passed him, he was lying in a pool of blood, surrounded by people.

Will always remember and the face of his father at the finish.

No chance of me doing that in a bolt upright position even with a clear visor and stopping when I felt visibility was too bad with the steaming visor. Lesson learnt don't wipe a KASK visor with a dry glasses microfiber cloth 😂

Fair enough, well-done for doing the sensible thing. (although I wonder why you're bothering with an Aero-go-faster helmet if you're giving away minutes due to your position ... )
My more general point is that CTT can't be arsed to legislate for things that DO cause accidents (and death), but insisted that a minority kow-tow to a dress-code just because the majority felt they should conform.

Fair enough, well-done for doing the sensible thing. (although I wonder why you're bothering with an Aero-go-faster helmet if you're giving away minutes due to your position ... )
My more general point is that CTT can't be arsed to legislate for things that DO cause accidents (and death), but insisted that a minority kow-tow to a dress-code just because the majority felt they should conform.

I sometimes wonder why I bother too :laugh: I'm no good at TT's relative to my power and I'd probably do better in a road race but its easy (probably too easy) to sit up and gauge things on a solo tt than it would be in a group and I kind prefer that.

I'm not 100% sure of the legislation, I think they can DQ for things but I don't think too much of its enforced, perhaps they feel if the regulate too much it'll scare folk away and kill the sport, and its more common sense, unfortunately something folk are short off.

Top Bottom