Tinnitus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I seem to have a persistent whistling in one ear. Not sure what started it - but 2 events spring to mind.

1.Coming home after a particularly windy ride
2.I noticed my ear was sore for few days - so much so it was painful to sleep with the left ear on the pillow

Family have been nagging me for a while to get a hearing test - which I have now done, and indeed it confirmed high frequency hearing loss. I have been put on a waiting list for hearing aids. Also had an MRI of my left ear which showed no abnormalities.

My one concern is that the hearing consultant didn't stick a camera up my nose, - as I sometimes feel pressure pushing outwards from the inner ear.

Anyway, has anyone coped with this ? - how does it affect your cycling ? - Ive looked on the web but information seems very contradictory - wear ear plugs/don't wear ear plugs - exercise helps/makes it worse

Any thoughts ?

si_c

Guru
I have had tinnitus since I was 18, a consequence of listening to loud music almost all day through headphones and clubbing, not much I can do about it, you stop noticing it so much after a while.

It does drive me mad sometimes though at night when it's super quiet. I've found personally that having low level background noise helps me drone it out. Ironically most of the time that is in the form of headphones. Just not as loud as I once did.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I have had tinnitus since I was 18, a consequence of listening to loud music almost all day through headphones and clubbing, not much I can do about it, you stop noticing it so much after a while.

It does drive me mad sometimes though at night when it's super quiet. I've found personally that having low level background noise helps me drone it out. Ironically most of the time that is in the form of headphones. Just not as loud as I once did.

Do you wear any ear protection while cycling ?

si_c

Guru
Do you wear any ear protection while cycling ?

Not unless you count headphones. I've been wearing a buff and bobble hat this week though when commuting as it's been bitterly cold, but that's pretty much my only concession. But that's just me, I haven't found that cold weather or wind aggravates the tinnitus, so I don't need to compensate. If you find different then you should definitely consider making adjustments.

It's probably worth a bit of experimentation on your part, find out if different things help or not. And listen to what your clinicians say obviously.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
You have my sympathy. I had tinnitus after firing an elephant gun (.577) about 10-15 years ago. I was in my mid twenties. I was left with ringing in my left ear for 3 weeks. Minimal pain but sleeping was difficult.

The good news is it has healed and the only time I notice is when I swim deeper than about 6 foot. GWS.

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Targets set up against a dam wall. Inside a dried out (failed) reservoir. From the kickback I was skidding 2 foot backwards in the sand. At the time, each cartridge cost £3-£4.00

8DE90B9D-B595-4ADF-9B4D-3F0337DE9C92.jpeg

Drago

Legendary Member
I suffer with BPPV, which periodically attacks me nastily. Fortunately, I'm now well aware of the symptoms so every couple of years when I start to notice them I go straight to the Doc, get the tablets, and I'm able to head it off.

Its left me with minor tinnitus, but no hearing loss. Indeed, my last hearing test had me pronounced as "bloody good" considering my age and years spent firing rifles without hearing protection. Luckily its not bad and I've suffered to psychological issues with it.

Jody

Stubborn git

Snap, although I can't ever get any escape unless like you I drown it out with headphones. I can cope with it, as its not intrusively loud but can hear is over normal office work, car, TV etc. Already had it 20 years so it isn't going away :sad: Also have slight high end hearing loss due to the same.

Last two months I have had it really loud in my left ear which I think is something to do with the drainage ducts running to the back of my throat. I can make it start and stop depending on what I am doing with my head jaw so going to see how it goes before I speak to anyone.

Its not a nice thing at all

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Luckily its not bad and I've suffered to psychological issues with it.

:whistle:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I have mild tinnitus. Started about 4 years ago. Sounds like a wind rushing noise. Only notice it in a dead quite room such as when I wake up in the middle of the night. Bothered me for some time at first and then I got used to it and rarely think about it - except when someone posts on an internet forum etc. :laugh:

Lovely Wife has a persistent high pitched whine in her ears and she can hear it when there is no background noise- doesn't bother her as she's had it about 25 years now.

Lovely Wife's colleague at work has identical problem - started about 10 years ago. Both mid-50's. It is more prevalent in older people - not that they are particularly old.

My best mate has it a bit worse and he has an assortment of noises that he hears in low noise environments. He did suffer some depression with it a long while ago but he copes fine now. He plays lots of music at home and in the car etc to make sure there is at least some background noise whenever possible.

Best advice is to try not to fixate on it.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Any loud noise that leaves you with ringing in your ears has damaged your hearing. I have bought some special musician's earplugs to wear to loud gigs now, they cost a bit but it's worth it.

So cycling in the wind could give you tinnitus then ? . I remember coming back from one very windy ride when I got home I noticed the ringing in my ears - it went away pretty quickly though

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
[QUOTE 5168651, member: 9609"]I can sometimes have tinitus (in both ears) for an hour or so after a long bike ride. But I only seem to get this in the winter time when wearing hat and helmet, summer riding without hat or helmet never brings it on. Not sure why covering my ears sets it off, unless it is a coldness related thing ?[/QUOTE]

I have heard some people say it is the straps that create the wind noise - could explain you scenario above

pclay

Veteran
I suffer with BPPV, which periodically attacks me nastily. Fortunately, I'm now well aware of the symptoms so every couple of years when I start to notice them I go straight to the Doc, get the tablets, and I'm able to head it off.

Its left me with minor tinnitus, but no hearing loss. Indeed, my last hearing test had me pronounced as "bloody good" considering my age and years spent firing rifles without hearing protection. Luckily its not bad and I've suffered to psychological issues with it.

@Drago, I have sent you a PM.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The cold probably affected your ear and it may only last a few days. Many people start to suffer ringing and rushing sounds in their ears as they age; mine started two years ago when I was banging an axe head with a big hammer, making a ringing sound that actually hurt my ears. I regret not wearing earplugs now as the ringing is on exactly the same very high whistling frequency. Nowadays I split wood the sensible way with a maul, which doesn't ring loudly.

Top Bottom