Tinnitus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have heard some people say it is the straps that create the wind noise - could explain you scenario above
They definitely make things worse. There are 40-50 mph descents round here which can cause an awful lot of wind noise. I read about the straps issue and saw one piece of advice which helped a lot - put twists in the straps. It stiffens them up and does something to the airflow so there is less turbulence over the ears. I'd say it reduced the problem for me by at least 50%.

I still have a few ear problems on windy descents though. I have thought about carrying foam earplugs for them but have never got round to it.

I have had tinnitus for about 25 years now. I put it down to riding motorbikes without using ear plugs, and working in a machine shop without using ear defenders. I have been using both for 20 years now, but the damage had already been done.
I now hear a high pitched whistle all the time, which is about talking volume. When I lived in Cornwall, it used to drive me insane at night, as it was so quiet!
Now it rarely bothers me. I guess I have grown used to it, and I only actually notice it when I think about it. I went to see the doc about it, she gave me some pills that had no effect and she told me there was very little that could be done.
I think it got worse after an accident (in volume, not pitch), but it is difficult to prove one way or the other.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Most older folk suffer tinnitus. It can't be treated.

Motorcycling is bad for your ears, after a long trip with the wind buffetting your eardrums you arrive a bit deaf and a bit punch-drunk, as well as frozen to the bone. I used to wear foam plugs on long trips.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I have some. Too much time on the rifle range with a Lee Enfield 0.303 when I was a teenager. A lifetime of using power tools probably didn't help either. Personally, it hasn't caused any problems so far, but it's annoying sometimes. I find noisy pubs a bit wearing, but I suspect that that's due more my hearing system's software than its hardware.

D

Deleted member 1258

Christ, how do you lot function? Is there anything you dinnae suffer from?

I think one thing can be said for certain, we're all human on here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
I have moderate degenerative hearing loss in both ears- suppose to wear hearing aids but I don't. The tinnitus has eased up and is triggered quite randomly. I don't find it interrupts with my cycling, only if it's very noisy!

byegad

Legendary Member
I developed tinnitus following a severe ear infection some 30-odd yrs ago. I lived with it for 25yrs with few issues, but some 7 yrs ago it got a whole lot louder, so much so that I could hardly make out speech, particularly from females, in good conditions. So I had a hearing test and found I'd lost most of my hearing over 4000Hz. This is also the frequency of my hissing tinnitus.

A pair of digital hearing aids set to gradually boost from 4000Hz upwards has returned me to my 25yr level of hiss. When I get up in the morning, before I put the aids in, if Lady Byegad speaks to me I have no idea what she says, although I do know she has spoken.

Reactions: GM
I also have tinnitus caused by playing lots of loud music on stage....it's at the same frequency as the crash cymbals that used to sit next to me on stage (as a guitarist, not the drummer!!). Generally, I sleep with some noise in the background and try and avoid very quiet places as a result!

GM

Legendary Member
I'm basically the same as @byegad but mine started about 30 odd years ago working on loud building sites. I've found since I've started wearing hearing aids for nearly a year that it has helped. It used to get so bad at times with about four or five different types of loud hissing and ticking sounds I just wanted to scream. Since wearing hearing aids I can now hear the ping when the microwave has finished.

byegad

Legendary Member
I also have tinnitus caused by playing lots of loud music on stage....it's at the same frequency as the crash cymbals that used to sit next to me on stage (as a guitarist, not the drummer!!). Generally, I sleep with some noise in the background and try and avoid very quiet places as a result!

I can recommend a white noise generator as a sleeping aid, although I often use a radio too.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I've had tinnitus for about three years now, a constant hissing noise. I wouldn't be surprised I didn't get it from my old job, with the screeching some of the trains use to make , also some of the screeching the customers often made;)

Top Bottom