Tiny rides of 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I kind of do a tiny ride every week. Every Wednesday I go for a 1.5-2 hour MTB ride with a group from my village. We end up in the local pub until closing time (or after!). I then ride approximately 500m home. I never record the home leg on Wahoo or Strava but over a year it adds up. It’s often the worse part of the night too - we could’ve been riding in mud, sub-zero, horizontal rain or whatever but that half km home after a pleasant couple of pints, some chips and a log fire is always a chore.

is always a chore
you need to swap to a pub that is uphill from you house!

figbat

Slippery scientist
you need to swap to a pub that is uphill from you house!

This would be nice - it is currently a small but annoying climb to get home.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I did two tiny rides today. I had a dentist appointment this morning so rode into the town centre for that. It's months since I rode into town. It's only about a mile and a half! But that makes it an option to walk. I like my appointments to be early so I have the rest of the day free but that does mean I have to cope with the craziness of the school run to the school at the end of the street! At least the weather wasn't bad so not all of the kids were being chauffeur driven!

There was a meeting in the town centre this afternoon and I thought it would be too windy to ride but it didn't seem too bad so I took the bike again. Quick visit to Iceland (the shop!) on the way back.

Can't remember the last time I was out twice in one day!

OP
OP
Hebe

Hebe

getting better all the time
I did two tiny rides today. I had a dentist appointment this morning so rode into the town centre for that. It's months since I rode into town. It's only about a mile and a half! But that makes it an option to walk. I like my appointments to be early so I have the rest of the day free but that does mean I have to cope with the craziness of the school run to the school at the end of the street! At least the weather wasn't bad so not all of the kids were being chauffeur driven!

There was a meeting in the town centre this afternoon and I thought it would be too windy to ride but it didn't seem too bad so I took the bike again. Quick visit to Iceland (the shop!) on the way back.

Can't remember the last time I was out twice in one day!

Yes - my ride into town is a similar distance. Entirely walkable too. There’s just something about how much quicker it is to ride it than walk. I can’t remember the last time I rode twice in a day either.

OP
OP
Hebe

Hebe

Just discovered this thread. This will be 2023 for me, what with surgery and all (next week if it isn't canceled again. Eek).
Cornwall @Hebe ! No finer place to grow up. Both my kids did, and the younger has never left!

Good luck for next week. I hope everything aligns and that nothing is cancelled again. It will be lovely to start rebuilding fitness with some tiny rides once you’re mobile again.

edit to add - I miss Cornwall very much. Though growing up halfway up a ridiculously steep hill was probably the reason that neither I nor my siblings ever learned to ride a bike until we moved to flatter places. I am now really tempted by the idea of getting a Brompton to take with me whenever I visit family though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hebe

Hebe

This would be nice - it is currently a small but annoying climb to get home.

So would it be a better tiny ride if it was downhill?

The weather has been grim here all week. It has stopped raining today so I’m planning on a tiny ride this afternoon. It might be a teeny tiny ride, but I’m counting anything where the bike leaves the garage with my bum on the saddle.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Tiny rides are a great concept. A great way of changing habits so that cycling becomes a default, more people should do it.

I was listening to a comedy programme recently and this person said that all journeys of less than a mile should be done by walking, cycling or on a space hopper. That would get my vote!

OP
OP
Hebe

Hebe

Tiny rides are a great concept. A great way of changing habits so that cycling becomes a default, more people should do it.

I was listening to a comedy programme recently and this person said that all journeys of less than a mile should be done by walking, cycling or on a space hopper. That would get my vote!

Imagine the enthusiasm for a school run on space hoppers! :hyper:
I have tiny-rided today. It might have been short, but the wind was brutal. I got to ride through some very big puddles too. Possibly closer to floodles. 27 minute mixture of elation, glee, and desperately looking forward to being back home with a coffee and a handful of dolly mixtures.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Imagine the enthusiasm for a school run on space hoppers! :hyper:
I have tiny-rided today. It might have been short, but the wind was brutal. I got to ride through some very big puddles too. Possibly closer to floodles. 27 minute mixture of elation, glee, and desperately looking forward to being back home with a coffee and a handful of dolly mixtures.

Indeed, I also think it would be impossible to be in a bad mood if on a space hopper. It would also cheer up anyone who saw you, win, win!!

OP
OP
Hebe

Hebe

Cool thread!

Works for me - been off bike for just over a year due to kidney problem - now fixed, at least as far as it can be.

Just need the incessant rain to stop now.

Thank you. I hope your kidney problem continues fixed. It has stopped raining here, just for today, but the wind is nasty. I always wondered if I was using windy weather forecasts as a bit of an excuse, but I don’t think I’d have enjoyed 20k on exposed roads today. Quite proud of myself for nearly 7k though.

One of the great things about the concept of tiny rides is that it encourages people ot start to use their bike for little things like a trip to the supermarket
I try to in decent weather but there is always the temptation to just jump in the car rather than get the bike out of the shed, unlock it, get a backpack then ride there and back - plus locking it up when I get there

This thread does encourage people to do it anyway

I do find that being able to tell someone helps to provide the little bit extra to make me do it !!

Top Bottom