Tiny rides of 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Any ride that starts from my house goes up my street for .3 miles, then on a two-lane highway for .7 miles, so I don't have the option of puttering around residential streets without a care. But, once that highway stretch is past, I can turn left into a typical semi-rural New Mexican neighborhood. Lower San Pedro, Middle San Pedro, and Upper San Pedro form a triangle of one-and-a-half-lane roads, with no centerlines, fairly scenic at times, and recently, re-paved and smooth as can be. They did a really good job, putting down a thick layer of new asphalt over the crumbling old stuff, and turning it into a joy to ride, almost as if they had re-paved it just for me! One loop around and then back home is my default ride, only 6.2 miles, but a day-changer every time. :smile:

View attachment 674551

That's a nice tree. Do you know what it is?

tom73

Guru
That's a nice tree. Do you know what it is?

Hard to real see leaf detail but from what I can see over all it looks like oak.

OP
OP
Hebe

Hebe

getting better all the time
Almost all of my tiny rides are on a Brompton - post office, grocery shopping etc. anything from 2 to 7 miles round trip. Had various Bromptons for a few years now and love them - a real multi purpose bike. I do use It on longer rides too - taking it on the train and exploring somewhere new.
I shall have to start saving and working out what I can sell ^_^ You're getting a lot of value from yours!
I find that the thing that puts me off using the bike for short utility rides is bike security -
Yes. My rides into town really took a beating after I found someone trying to nick my locked bike. I use the basket bike now, that seems much less desirable, even when I forget to lock it :whistle: My tiny rides where security isn't an issue can be on any of my bikes, and the joy of a quick 20minute fun ride is that I don't even have to get off the bike if I don't want to.
One loop around and then back home is my default ride, only 6.2 miles, but a day-changer every time. :smile:
That must be such a joy, especially watching the tree change over the seasons.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
This is a thread to celebrate the tiny rides that are still a triumph in their own way. I’m setting it up to support my resolution on @Ming the Merciless ’s Cycling hopes and dreams 2023 thread. So my January mini goal is simply to get a bike out of the garage and down the road, once a week. I might just loop around the housing estate after putting air in the tyres, or I might stretch to 5 or 7k. Or I might do the 15minute pootle to the leisure centre or into town. If it’s really nice weather I’ll do a longer ride but that won’t be on this thread ^_^ Please join me here with any small but perfectly formed and satisfying rides of your own - perhaps first ride after recovering from illness/surgery, test ride after fixing something, just making it off the sofa on a rainy day. Not a challenge, no minimum distance or frequency.

Today I realised that we’re a week into January and other than a spin on my sister’s exercise bike I haven’t been on a bike at all this year. I went out for 20-30 minutes on the Marin, my speed is still down a bit after covid but the (slight) uphills were not as hard work as they were 10 days or so ago.

Maybe a good idea to have a format for reporting our Tiny Rides - otherwise the thread will wander (it is) and will eventually die.

Just a thought. :smile:

All uphill

Still rolling along
Tired today after a demanding weekend so I cycled 2 miles to collect a parcel and was rewarded with a cormorant, a dramatic Weir and a sense of invigoration.
20230116_125845.jpg

OP
OP
Hebe

Hebe

getting better all the time
Maybe a good idea to have a format for reporting our Tiny Rides - otherwise the thread will wander (it is) and will eventually die.

Just a thought. :smile:

That’s a good point, thank you. It’s not really a challenge so I suppose as much detail as people want to share? By definition these aren’t necessarily far or fast rides. So an idea of distance, any purpose to the ride and how it went? The 52 cafes thread has a similar vibe.

anzac74

This is a thread to celebrate the tiny rides that are still a triumph in their own way. I’m setting it up to support my resolution on @Ming the Merciless ’s Cycling hopes and dreams 2023 thread. So my January mini goal is simply to get a bike out of the garage and down the road, once a week. I might just loop around the housing estate after putting air in the tyres, or I might stretch to 5 or 7k. Or I might do the 15minute pootle to the leisure centre or into town. If it’s really nice weather I’ll do a longer ride but that won’t be on this thread ^_^ Please join me here with any small but perfectly formed and satisfying rides of your own - perhaps first ride after recovering from illness/surgery, test ride after fixing something, just making it off the sofa on a rainy day. Not a challenge, no minimum distance or frequency.

Today I realised that we’re a week into January and other than a spin on my sister’s exercise bike I haven’t been on a bike at all this year. I went out for 20-30 minutes on the Marin, my speed is still down a bit after covid but the (slight) uphills were not as hard work as they were 10 days or so ago.

Same resolution here. Get back on the bike at least once a week and try to do 30 mins minimum. I've been riunning to a long time and was missing the bicycle. Did my first 60 min ride yesterday and felt like going up Kilimanjaro.. and I live in Essex, which is pretty flat!! but overall was good to be back in the saddle.

I can't incorporate the bike into commuting as I work from home almost 100% but the parcel collection trips sound like a good idea ;-)
Really encouraging post, thanks for sharing!!

a.twiddler

Veteran
16/1/23 Tiny Ride 2 -The Rematch.
Sunny today, but with a cold, blustery and unpredictable wind. Supposed to be cold, wet and windy later this week so today was the day for a rematch with the hill that gave me such a battering last time. In other parts of the world this wouldn’t even qualify as a geographical feature, let alone a hill. Not even a hillock, pillock, as I had to remind myself.

When I went to patch the punctured tube after my last tiny ride I found that all the solvent in my various puncture repair kits had dried up. Looks like the only rubber solvent you can rely on is one that hasn’t been opened. I had intended to fit Schrader valve tubes in any case so this gave me the impetus to track down some of the odd sized ones needed for this trike. Meanwhile I bought several puncture repair kits just for the solvent. I now have enough patches to last a lifetime. No doubt somewhere some enterprising bike shop must be selling rubber solvent on its own. The other original tubes had never been patched and seemed in good condition so I kept them as spares, Woods valves notwithstanding. The punctured one, I patched. I’d read somewhere that if you open the solvent tube at the crimped end and refold and re crimp it after use, It’s less likely to evaporate over time, so I tried that.

So today, suitably pumped up, I set off from the back gate with a mixture of hope and apprehension. The same route as last time, in the high gear range. If not exactly sprightly, the trike certainly rolled easily. Into Swanlow lane, stopped at the uphill traffic lights then slowly up through the gears. Still aware of the gradual incline most of the way then the gradual downhill rowards the A54 roundabout in top, no need to stop, through the green light and right onto the downhill stretch to the town centre lights. This is a dual carriageway which is a lot more fun going downhill. The uphill side has a short painted cycle lane then most cyclists tend to hop on to the wide pavement for the rest of the uphill.

Rolling downhill into a cold headwind, keeping a wary eye on the following traffic in my mirror then going right to the filter lane at the lights. The lights were still green so I went through them at about 20mph and felt the G forces making me lean uncomfortably to the outside of the turn, compressing the rear suspension and the tyre. After a lifetime on two wheels this felt uncomfortably counter intuitive and takes some getting used to.

Rolling easily downhill, left on to the shared path and cycleway then going left again and once more to my usual supermarket. I passed a beanie hatted beardy guy sitting on a wall, texting furiously until I passed by when he looked up, startled. Maybe I became the subject of his next text. (“Ull nvr gss wot I jst saw!”) I locked up to a pedestrian barrier then went in to do some shopping.

Out again, shopping went in the back box then under way into the car park, left at a mini roundabout, left at the next one then through a corner of the shopping precinct to a service area. A short stretch of tarmac then I locked up at a bike stand outside the library.

On checking out, my library card was rejected by the machine so I went to talk to a real live librarian. It seems that this happens periodically so that the system can verify that your details are up to date. Just as well, as the system thinks that I was born in 1900 which would make me 123 years old. No wonder it takes me a while to get up in the morning. Apparently, if they lose your date of birth, they just put in a random date. Birth date rectified, I immediately felt 53 years younger, and positively skipped on the way out with my books.

Books in box, unlocked the trike, put the chain on the small ring ready for the climb home.

Through the service road, across the corner of the precinct, turned right to Dingle Lane, straight across a small roundabout and after half a mile or so hopped across the pavement towards Gladstone St and Townfields Road. The low sun was annoyingly in my eyes until I turned right into Gladstone St. I was climbing before I reached Gladstone St. but here the slope eased and I was rolling along in second.

The Rematch. (Cue dramatic music. Dun Dun Durr. Sound of drums etc.)
A clear blue sky. Torn cotton wool clouds drifting from right to left. Their slow progress matches mine. I windmill slowly upwards. As I recline into the seat. I get into an accepting frame of mind. I see the distant horizon. A recumbent problem. You can see the top, approaching dauntingly slowly. On an upright you just stare at the road. The road in front of the front wheel. You just keep pedalling. The houses shelter me from the sun and wind. The slope steepens. Bottom gear now. Easy breathing, not struggling. Feet rotating pedals, mind wandering. A low flying airliner turns gracefully for Manchester airport. Far above, another leaves a shining trail. The road rolls slowly beneath. Vehicles pass. Some up. Some down. The recumbent effect. What is it? Dunno. Better give it plenty of room then. None of them trouble me. Still breathing comfortably, not overheating. Pushing those pedals. Ha! Do your worst, hill, if that is what you are. The hill says nothing. The vanishing point creeps nearer. The hill taunts me by getting steeper. My knees complain. My mind responds. Just bear it. it’s just temporary. This too shall pass. My knees are not overjoyed but keep on doing what knees do. The vanishing point is closer still. It’s like the end of the rainbow. You never quite reach it. It endlessly retreats. The slope eases and my knees have a party. Take that, hill! I change up on the level then begin to roll downhill. I stop at a red traffic light.

When the light turned green I turned left and swept downhill. Flushed with success, I pedalled furiously to gain some speed for the approaching uphill, instead of turning off for home. I wanted to take a longer route through the lanes to get home. Last time I passed this way there were road works here and I was reminded of this when I spotted the red glow of a temporary traffic light far ahead. It was like the baleful eye of a one eyed purple dragon, with the familiar barriers of the Total Fibre contractors stretching away behind. I decided to turn off before I reached that spot and took a shorter route.

I also wanted to take a photo of a nearby fingerpost because I must have passed it a zillion times over the years but being so close to home, had taken it for granted. At one time these were being removed when new road developments were built, to be replaced by modern signs, but it now looks as if they are more likely to be retained, if they’re in an appropriate location, as part of local heritage. So here it is.
P1020712.JPG

There was an awful lot of traffic about as soon as I tried to take a photo but I managed to avoid getting run over.

The grassy island was softer and muddier than it looked but despite the thin tyres I was able to pedal off it without having to get off and push. It was then a small step home via local lanes. I’ve tried to cram some variety into my tiny ride today without turning it into an epic tale.

Distance 3.96 miles, Max Speed 21.5 mph, Average 6.2mph according to Garmin.

According to Bikehike
Total Ascent:​
153​
ft​
Total Descent:
153​
ft​
Start Elevation:
189​
ft​
End Elevation:

189 ft​