Tiny rides of 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
When I was in town yesterday I spotted a vintage writing bureau in a charity shop. At the time I did nothing about it but having a think later I decided that I wanted it and could find room for it. So after the ice melted today I rode into town to pay for it and arrange to collect it tomorrow.

I cycled home a slightly longer route partly to avoid the horrible road surface on the way back into the estate making a total distance of about 3.8 miles

OP
OP
Hebe

Hebe

getting better all the time
I fitted a mini rack to the electric brompton and went for a quick ride to check all was well. There’s a very steep hill a few hundred metres away so I tootled up it trying the various assistance levels , 0 / 1 / 2 / 3
All good? I like the idea of taking a tiny ride to test a tiny rack on a tiny bike :wub:
Looking back I’d followed my own wheeltracks through the snow on the drive exactly so it looked as if I’d only gone one way. I unpacked my stuff, put the trike away then flopped with a cold drink.
I enjoyed your tiny ride story, it felt like I was there.
it. So after the ice melted today I rode into town to pay for it and arrange to collect it tomorrow.
Brilliant! Will you need to do further tiny rides for stationery and a desk lamp too?

I have been inside with a cold. It looks like the ice is finally going so I shall get my tiny ride in today or tomorrow. It might be really tiny, but at least it will be outside.

Tenkaykev

Guru
The Electric Brompton tiny ride was interesting ( for me ) I timed the time it took to cycle up the hill while trying to keep the same cadence and went unpowered/ 1/2/3 assistance.
Having the front hub wheel and the battery bag on the front makes the handling a lot less twitchy. I can see that it would be possible to get a lot more range with judicious use of unpowered/ powered during a longer journey. 🤔

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
The Electric Brompton tiny ride was interesting ( for me ) I timed the time it took to cycle up the hill while trying to keep the same cadence and went unpowered/ 1/2/3 assistance.
Having the front hub wheel and the battery bag on the front makes the handling a lot less twitchy. I can see that it would be possible to get a lot more range with judicious use of unpowered/ powered during a longer journey. 🤔

I wonder how much the battery range could be improved by swapping tyres to something with less rolling resistance. I swapped from Marathons to Conti Urbans on a manual Brompton a while ago and immediately noticed less drag. The Conti Urbans are E-bike rated too and I have a pair sitting in the garage, so I might try it when the weather improves.

Justinitus

Still in the low minuses here so just a short trip out on the Brompton to Lidl for me, via B&Q and the post box. I have the new basket bag for the electric Brompton and it’s excellent for transporting stuff that isn’t too bulky or heavy (7kg max capacity). So just some basic provisions - cereals, biscuits, yoghurts, cheese, coffee, kitchen towels and some lovely fresh croissants. Plus a tin of paint. Wifey wanted a couple of honeydew melons, so I threw those in the little Decathlon folding backpack I keep in the basket for such events. Total of 3 miles as I went home via the canal path. Now warming up with a cuppa and a croissant!

OP
OP
Hebe

Hebe

Still in the low minuses here so just a short trip out on the Brompton to Lidl for me, via B&Q and the post box. I have the new basket bag for the electric Brompton and it’s excellent for transporting stuff that isn’t too bulky or heavy (7kg max capacity). So just some basic provisions - cereals, biscuits, yoghurts, cheese, coffee, kitchen towels and some lovely fresh croissants. Plus a tin of paint. Wifey wanted a couple of honeydew melons, so I threw those in the little Decathlon folding backpack I keep in the basket for such events. Total of 3 miles as I went home via the canal path. Now warming up with a cuppa and a croissant!
I think we are based in the same Wiltshire market town, I recognise your route! Though I normally do a tiny walk to Lidl (for almond croissants, chicken and cheeses today). Do you wheel your Brommie inside Lidl or use the Sheffield stands outside - I think I’ve seen a Brommie locked up there once but I don’t think it was electric 🤔 That’s a good set of stuff to carry - I do like the design of the Brompton bags. And I really like that they have bags that fit onto the bike, and bags that the bike can ft into.
As Justinitis observed, it’s still very cold here and I still have this cold. So still walking rather than riding because it’s easier to blow my nose this way. Hopefully getting a tiny ride tomorrow though, if I take a Sudafed or two first.

@annedonnelly that sounds perfect! Do you have a fountain pen too?

Justinitus

I think we are based in the same Wiltshire market town, I recognise your route! Though I normally do a tiny walk to Lidl (for almond croissants, chicken and cheeses today). Do you wheel your Brommie inside Lidl or use the Sheffield stands outside - I think I’ve seen a Brommie locked up there once but I don’t think it was electric 🤔 That’s a good set of stuff to carry - I do like the design of the Brompton bags. And I really like that they have bags that fit onto the bike, and bags that the bike can ft into.
As Justinitis observed, it’s still very cold here and I still have this cold. So still walking rather than riding because it’s easier to blow my nose this way. Hopefully getting a tiny ride tomorrow though, if I take a Sudafed or two first.

@annedonnelly that sounds perfect! Do you have a fountain pen too?

I usually lock up near the trolley park near the store entrance as there’s more people about there. Devizes per chance?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hebe

Hebe

It is a small world you might have seen me on a recumbent trike around London Rd
Yes! And on the Coate Rd sometimes? We could do a tiny meet in a tiny caff :cuppa:

I have done a tiny ride this morning. Embarrassingly small at 0.5km but it met the criteria of the bike leaving the garage with my bum on the saddle. Strava thinks my top speed was 30.1mph, I think not. I took the steel Marin with the chunky tyres, and took it easy, just down the road, around the old barracks and back.

So far in January I’ve managed one tiny ride every week, if I count the exercise bike one when I was away at New Year. This is roughly double my frequency record for January last year when I did one 20miler and one errand run, and then apparently nothing until spring. I’m now on the sofa trying to warm up again. Never knew you could get so cold in such a short distance.

Justinitus

@Always Cross - yes, pretty sure I’ve seen you about on the recumbent as there’s not many of those around here!
@Hebe - small world indeed :laugh: Are you Liz by any chance?
If you see me around don’t hesitate to say hello - I’m either on my light green electric Brompton, a soon-to-arrive grey Brompton or my green Cube electric mountain bike. Orange glasses and black helmet usually. Can often be found supping coffee from Black Dog Coffee down at the wharf.

Busy week this week with wifey’s birthday and the decorators coming, so just a tiny chance of a tiny ride at some point.

OP
OP
Hebe

Hebe

@Always Cross - yes, pretty sure I’ve seen you about on the recumbent as there’s not many of those around here!
@Hebe - small world indeed :laugh: Are you Liz by any chance?
If you see me around don’t hesitate to say hello - I’m either on my light green electric Brompton, a soon-to-arrive grey Brompton or my green Cube electric mountain bike. Orange glasses and black helmet usually. Can often be found supping coffee from Black Dog Coffee down at the wharf.

Busy week this week with wifey’s birthday and the decorators coming, so just a tiny chance of a tiny ride at some point.

I will look out for you, and also for @Always Cross ! For tiny rides I’m normally on a blue dawes Mixte or a copper step through Marin. Not Liz, but I do know her - Kate. Hope the birthday and decorating goes well! The Black Dog is one of my favourites, one of the few that open early in the mornings.
At least the weather this week looks slightly warmer, especially as the week goes on. I’m looking forward to a slightly less tiny ride with less frost and ice.

Top Bottom