Tiny rides of 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Windle

Über Member
Another quick blast last night in shorts & short sleeves, although it was borderline temperature wise. Same route that I did on Saturday but on the Checkpoint for a decidedly bumpier experience, it's surprising how much difference bigger MTB tyres and basic elastomer front fork inserts make a' la Singletrack 810. There were quite a few people about and many lambs on the fell. I didn't take the camera as it was last minute rushed ride. What I also didn't do was put my baggy shorts on the right way round, I thought they didn't feel right and I wondered why the kids in the play park were pointing at me and laughing as I rode past on the way home :blush:. Had to tweak the front mech limiter screw after I'd got home as the chain was just touching when in the lowest sprocket.

TrishE

Über Member
IMG_20240509_144119145_HDR.jpg

I've not been on a ride since last time I posted on the thread. Since been diagnosed with early osteoarthritis in hips and knees I've got to keep moving and the doctor said walking, cycling, and swimming are good. First ride just a tiny one to the park next to where I live so not far at all but I got in a couple of hills which were ok thanks to the pedal assist and I feel much better for it so I need to continue and build up to a few more miles. Worst bit is struggling to manoeuvre the bike out of my flat and back in afterwards, thinking a Brompton sitting folded by the front door might be better. I've had folding bikes and never wanted a Brompton but been thinking about getting one for a while. I could walk up the hills get the walking in too!

IMG_20240509_144040735_HDR.jpg

Windle

Über Member
Another short ride to test the 'fettle' (read bodge) I'd done to the Bear Valley for pump carry-age. Down the lane to the gate at the railway path & back, including the little extra half mile cheat down the road towards Peathrow & back up on the way home (every mile counts in tiny rides) :laugh:.
This is the first time this gate's been closed for ages, there're lambs in the field around here now and the farmer mustn't want them buggering off up the railway path in a line making choo choo noises.

GOPR0951.JPG
Cable ties and sticky pad pump attachment. I could do with a new tool bottle cover, that one is the waterproof inside from a long gone seat pack and the bottle itself is a cut down 'Giro d' Italia' branded drinking bottle from the late 80's. I wish I had a pound for every mile that's covered over the years. It's a pity I can't get the very non grippy pedals off the Bear Valley, they're stuck fast. I could always change the cranks if I wanted to put spuds on it I suppose.
GOPR0949.JPG

Gunk

Guru
Lovely ride into Oxford today for a cup of coffee, I went in via the cycle lane along the A420 Botley road and came back along the river and Willow Walk. I‘m ashamed to say due to the distraction of my Brompton build and work commitments I haven’t ridden my Van Nic for over 12 months. I just instantly fell in love again, the best bike I have ever owned by far, it’s just so smooth and comfortable and the touring geometry suits a lazy old chap like me. The lovely mechanical Ultegra 6600 SL 10 speed groupset with Dura ace Brifters is a joy to use. Now I’ve stopped working, this will be hopefully the start of many similar rides this year.

IMG_3233.jpeg

IMG_3234.jpeg

IMG_3236.jpeg

Last edited:

a.twiddler

Veteran
17/5/24
Shopping trip on the Spirit Recumbent to the town centre.

A dry, intermittently sunny day. Since my last half century I’ve been side tracked by gardening tasks and suddenly find it’s been over two weeks since I’ve been out on a bike. My one ride per week average is slipping. At the beginning of the month I was ahead, now I’m in danger of being overtaken by time. So a shopping trip it is.

My tools and bits and pieces were still on the Spirit, tyres and oil were OK, so I just grabbed my Garmin and went. Once out through the back gate it was surprising how easy everything felt. On the road and rolling, no adjustments needed. Soon I was approaching the uphill traffic lights on Swanlow Lane, willing the lights to change before I came to a halt, then when the green came I kept on smoothly across the line. Up the tiny Swanlow Lane hump then gradually downhill to the A54 roundabout. Busy traffic formed a queue but there was no problem keeping with it as it stopped and flowed, stopped and flowed. Finally round the roundabout and gathering speed downhill. The traffic thinned out and I was able to go right across two lanes into the filter lane. Traffic was held up at the lights before turning right.

The town centre redevelopment is progressing. I was able to ride through a parking area that had been formerly blocked off, and carefully ride downhill to lock up outside my usual supermarket.

It didn’t take long to sort my shopping out, then as the bike was pointing downhill I continued in that direction. Down the hill, slowly following an unaware pedestrian until they turned off. It’s bad enough having to think for other road users but it seems that I have to double think for other people more and more nowadays as they seem to be away with the fairies. “We do the thinking so you don’t have to” is all very well but sooner or later I too will probably lose my marbles. Still. Might as well enjoy them while I’ve got ‘em.

Round to the right, along a pavement cycle path, then right again at the next junction. Across the road at some pedestrian lights then along the road until a supermarket car park entrance on the left. A path leads to residential streets beyond so I waited for a clutch of shoppers to go by before pushing through. Then followed a zig zag through the streets, gradually climbing until a last drag to the junction with Swanlow Lane where I turned left. Soon came the crossroads with Townfields Road, straight across the lights, down a dip and up to my turn off. A little freewheeling through the lanes, and to my back gate.

3.38 miles. Max 22.6. Average 7.2 mph. According to Garmin.

Ascent 110 ft. According to Bikehike.

Windle

Über Member
A belated report of a couple of tiny rides from last week. Due to an horrendous dose of gout in me port quarter flipper there was no way I was going to get a cycling shoe on so I donned loose fitting trainers and had to use the only two bikes I've got with flat pedals.
T'was a shame as Saturday was absolutely glorious but I took the bins down the fell for a bit of birdwatching, saw bugger all mind :laugh:.
It's funny how you need to get your eye in for birdwatching, or maybe it was just lack of patience.
Friday's trundle down the still spongy lane and round the football ground at Cockfield before heading back past home and down Scotland Lane, so far along the railway path & return, on the Trek 810, about five miles though.

GOPR0962.JPG

GOPR0963.JPG
A lovely sunny Saturday run along the railway path on the Bear Valley for a bit of birdwatching in-action on the fell but another five miles in.
GOPR0964.JPG

GOPR0965.JPG
I don't think I made my foot much worse :okay:.

Windle

Über Member
Another warm sunny evening loop clockwise round Scotland Lane, Cockfield Fell & back past the football ground. Only 4.4 miles but 312 feet of climbing. Instead of going down the farm track to the railway I diverted across the fell / field and over the railway bridge which I normally ride under, then round and back onto the railway path before going along the stony farm track and up the road, over the stile and down Cockfield Fell past the cemetery before returning via the quiet footy ground and up the (once again) almost dry lane.
The stile to the bridge, looking back across the path over the scrubby fell / field which was full of sheep and cows.

GOPR0980.JPG

Looking down to the railway path from the over bridge.
GOPR0981.JPG

The stile at the south west corner of the fell.
GOPR0982.JPG

A cracking little ride with the exception of one incident where the front wheel flicked a sticky jumbuck jobbie up which stuck to my right shin for a few seconds, before it decided it didn't like the view and bailed leaving a browny green skidmark behind :ohmy:.

Windle

Über Member
Oh god not him again......... another mini ride this afternoon, counter clockwise round most of my usual loop with the exception of heading right up to the top south west corner of the fell rather than go along the railway line path. Quite a pull that way with about 200 feet of climbing in not very far. A beautiful sunny day though. I should have gone off and done a big ride but enjoyed a leisurely bimble round the locale just a much. Giant XTC4 the steed of choice.
A very bright 'bike in hedge' shot just behind the football pavilion at Cockfield.

GOPR0984.JPG

Follow the grey, er something or other road, a gate onto the fell from the houses at the north side of Cockfield.
GOPR0985.JPG

One of our picnic spots further along, just up from where trains used to run up to about sixty years ago!
GOPR0986.JPG

GOPR0986.JPG

I've been meaning to take a picture of these poppies for a few days, pity they're on the way out now.
GOPR0987.JPG

A highlight was getting stung by a bee on the way down the road from fell to railway path, spiky little beggar.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Tiny Ride Today
3/6/24
World Bike day. Linear Goes Shopping.

Drizzling earlier on, but stopped later though remained cloudy. Needed some eggs and other items so since it’s World Bike Day (!!!) I took the Linear recumbent.

Out through the back gate and steadily in the direction of Swanlow Lane, through the uphill lights and on along Swanlow Lane. Over the mini summit and downhill to join the traffic queue at the A54 roundabout. Held up at the lights then round to the third exit and downhill in high gear, I decided to go straight on at the next lights instead of turning right but the lights changed and the traffic all came to a halt. Fortunately it was a brief stop and the traffic behind soon went past before the next lights where I went right to the filter lane before turning right when the light went green. Right at two mini roundabouts, into a supermarket car park then locked up at a wooden barrier.
World Bike Day 2024-Linear Goes Shopping.jpg

It didn’t take long to get my shopping done. I loaded up, unlocked and set off downhill, then left on to the road. Straight through the next mini roundabout, right at the next one into Dingle Lane, over the speed humps, right over the pavement at the end, then through some estate roads to come out on Gladstone St, right up the hill through Townfields Rd, left at the traffic lights then down the dip to my uphill turn off. I just relaxed as I rolled through the lanes and arrived at my back gate in time for lunch.

Despite the short distance it always feels further due to all roads home being uphill.

Distance 3.43 miles. Max Speed 26 mph. Average 7.5 mph. According to Garmin.
Ascent 114 ft. According to Bikehike.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
As it's World Bike Day I'll mention today's tiny ride. It's a ride I do regularly to the garden that I help look after. At the moment I'm using the Brompton for the journey as I don't have much to carry in either direction but last summer when I was harvesting veg I used the Elephant a lot as the front basket is perfect for carrying things home. But it's much easier to manoeuvre the Brompton through the gate and stand it in the corner.

It's a very private garden. The lady who owns it also has a flower garden next door so I sometimes see her but the chap on the other side does nothing with his and it's a jungle of brambles and nettles. I spent three hours weeding this evening and never saw a soul. I'd forgotten what a sun trap it is and despite a strong wind it was almost uncomfortably hot. I had to retreat into the shade a couple of times.

The total journey is between 3 and 3.5 miles depending on the route I take. If I want I can use cycle paths all the way including a meander through the park.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I took the 1986 Halfords folder to the Library today, for the first meeting of a new bookclub.

The ride there and back was a joy, and because the bike is deeply undesirable I had no fears of it being stolen. Different from my three other bikes that I do not let out of my sight.

The two miles ridden did my mind and body good, I'm sure. I didn't have to think about parking and I didn't emit too many exhaust fumes.

Perfect!

a.twiddler

Veteran
Tiny Ride Today
12/6/24 am
Town centre Shopping on the Spirit Recumbent

A bit of sun and cloud today, decidedly chilly. Needed a few things from the town centre so as it wasn’t raining I went by pedal power. Out through the back gate, soon heading for the uphill traffic lights. Passed by a lycra’d, helmeted cyclist standing on the pedals to beat the lights. He needn’t have bothered as I sailed through without stopping even though he was disappearing in the distance as I reached the other side of the junction. I continued at my usual pace, steadily rolling to the mini summit and gaining speed towards the A54 roundabout down the other side. Here I was lucky with a gap in the traffic and a green light and carried on round to the downhill dual carriageway towards the town centre. The inside lane was coned off for roadworks but there was no problem with traffic flow. I decided to go straight on at the town centre lights then went right after the next knot of traffic had passed ready to turn into the filter lane at the next lights. I waited with the traffic then turned right when the lights changed. Right at the next two mini roundabouts then into a supermarket car park.

There was a crowd of mountain bikers with bikepacking gear in the car park as I rolled in, looking as if they were about to go. Probably stopped for some supplies. They seemed entertained by the Spirit, but nobody spoke to me as I locked up. Perhaps it was just as well that I came at that time, as there’d have been nowhere to lock it up earlier. By the time I was ready to go in, they’d gone.
Spirit against rail.jpg

I grabbed my shopping and loaded up. I was about due to collect a prescription so I thought I’d collect it while I was in town. I wheeled the bike into the precinct and locked it to a pillar before going to the chemist. There was an alarmingly long queue but it soon dispersed. Prescription not ready. I picked up some other bits and pieces while I was in the precinct then unlocked and freewheeled slowly back towards the supermarket. Nobody seems to expect a bike during school hours. After school there are kids on bikes everywhere. So I gave everyone plenty of room.

The path to the road was clear, so I carried on the slow bicycle race, turned right to the pavement cycle path, then for a change crossed the road to the Lifestyle Centre where there was a path which led to the road beyond. It was quite busy with old folks with their wheeled shopping bags, mums with pushchairs and the ever present unaware smartphone zombies. I waited for a gap, took a shortcut across the grass, then followed the path to the road. Through an estate then out on Gladstone st, right uphill on to Townfields Rd., left at the lights then the swoop downhill ready for the uphill turnoff. A scooterist lurked in my mirror, looking as if he was going to overtake me at the last minute, but a right turning car ahead discouraged him. I turned off, then after the uphill freewheeled to my back gate. The uphill from the town centre felt hard today. I put it down to not having had a decent long ride since mid May.

3.4 miles. Max Speed 22.9 mph. Average 7.2 mph. According to Garmin.

Ascent 115 ft. According to Bikehike.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Tiny Ride Today
12/6/24 pm
Linear Recumbent to Town Centre to Pick up Prescription.

I’d been adjusting the steering and underseat bars on the Linear recumbent when my phone pinged to tell me that a prescription I’d been waiting for was ready. I decided to make collecting that from the town centre chemist my test ride. My Garmin and bits and pieces were still out from this morning’s ride on the Spirit. I chucked my pump and tools into the rack bag on the Linear and wheeled it out through the back gate.

The ritual of swing the stand down, step over the frame, take a seat and swing the stand up was automatic. Check the mirror for adjustment, swing the right hand pedal to 12 O’clock, check that we’re in a middling gear, a good look round to check the coast is clear and away. Cue triumphal music for a successful launch, tweak the non indexed gear controls to fine tune the adjustments, enjoying the subtle crick crick of the Suntour Barcon. I changed up a gear or two then downhill to Swanlow Lane cautiously observing the traffic before inserting myself into the flow. Speed ebbed away on the uphill, changed down accordingly, in the left lane, needed to be in the right one, traffic died away so across to turn right before the green light went red. Over a slight hump then downhill on the short route to town, turning left after a few yards to enjoy the continuous downhill.

What is it about sitting in this garden chair atop a girder while the world rushes by faster and faster? An emerging car at a mini roundabout prompted a precautionary squeeze of the rear brake lever.

The potential hazard drove away, leaving the road clear, brake released, speed rose again.

The slope eased, and ahead was a red light. A cycle lane led to an advance stop line. I drifted to the left past a waiting car and almost stopped in front of it but the light changed so I kept going. The car turned right behind me. There is a junction on the right where I wanted to go so I held back until there was a gap in the oncoming traffic then turned without having to stop and put a foot down.

I entered a service area. Ahead I saw a girl from one of the shops pushing a trolley full of stuff for the skip. The area to the left is fenced and panelled off as work continues on the town centre refurbishment. This leaves a narrow access to an alleyway connected to the town centre precinct. I got in ahead of the girl but ahead was an old lady with a walking frame. I slowed right down so that by the time I caught her up she was is at the entrance to the alley. Behind me was the girl with the trolley. I stopped and waited for the old lady to reach the other end of the alley before I rode through. She went right, I went left. I put the stand down, got off, put the stand up, and pushed the bike into the precinct. Behind me, the girl with the trolley went straight across into another alley leading to where the refuse skips are.

I locked the Linear to a pillar. A man coming out of the chemists said “Oh! Nice bike!” as though he wasn’t quite sure what he was looking at. The pillars are decorated with locally made knitted flowers. I went in, collected my prescription and took a photo of bike and floral pillar on the way out.
Linear against floral pillar.jpg

As I was unlocking the bike and wheeling it away from the pillar a woman with several small children said, “Look at that cool bike! That man’s going to ride it!” That man was actually going to wheel it to the entrance before getting on, but since the doors were wide open, I got on and rode it. I said as I went away, “I’m going to have to start selling tickets!” I can just see it now, “a.twiddler, trick cyclist and children’s entertainer”. The kids seemed suitably awestruck, but I’ve got a horrible feeling I’m featuring on somebody’s You Tube by now, for free.

I carried on downhill to the nearby supermarket but as there were crowds of people near the entrance I diverted through the car park to access the path nearer the road. Right at the bottom, I wanted to follow the route of my last ride past the Lifestyle Centre but the traffic was tailed back from the lights, making it difficult to cross. I had to follow the pavement cyclepath round the corner, do a u turn where the pavement widened then come back to get on the road and turn right when there was a gap in the traffic.

Once across, it was easy going to follow the path to the corner of the Lifestyle Centre then to the road behind it. I tried to follow the route home that I took last time on the Spirit, just to get a direct comparison. It seemed no quicker climbing through the estate roads, on to Gladstone St. and Townfields Rd. but felt more relaxed somehow. Was it because I’d loosened up the muscles on my outing this morning? The Linear bottom bracket feels lower than the one on the Spirit. Or was it something else?

I turned left at the lights at the top of Townfields Road then decided to stretch out the return trip a little in the direction of Church Minshull. I clicked into the highest ratio in the hub gear, zizzed into highest ratio on the rear derailleur, and clunked on to the big ring on the front. Then I gave it the beans down the dip and up the other side, back on to the small ring, then into middle ratio in the hub gear, and down one or two on the rear derailleur. I soon came to a lane on the right where I turned off and wended my way to my back gate. The steering gear adjustments seemed to have done the trick.

3.48 miles. Max 19.2 mph. Average 6.7 mph. According to Garmin.

Ascent 111 ft. According to Bikehike.

Top Bottom