Tiny trunk bag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

donnysp

Hi,

I have a Topeak rear pannier rack. I use an Ortleib Office Bag on the side. I have a handful of items I’d like to keep on the bike — I don’t need to take them into the office in the bag.

Since I have a rack that is only used for one pannier I figured a small trunk bag would be ideal. The problem is that they are all huge. I only need about 2 litres of space.

I’m thinking about maybe trying to make something. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

If you cant find a tough plastic box of the correct size, copy the Carradice style and make one from corrugated plastic correx sheet. Your local estate agent has loads.
The Carradice barbag is made using a rivetted and bolted contruction. You can use plastic nuts and bolts or metal rivets clad the box on fabric if you like.
For semi permanent mounting, zip ties are hard to beat.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Topeak do a small one (or they did, I've got one)

The MTX EX seems the smallest now at 8 litres but some retailers might have the diddy one in stock.

EDIT - Found mine, it's the RX, it's quite titchy but fits the same rails with the click.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I have a light altura one (although not super small), velcros onto rack

If you can find still (possibly discontinued, I got off Altura site a few months back in the clearance)
https://www.evanscycles.com/altura-transit-lite-rack-bag-EV223920

I have the topeak one with the fold out panniers too...weighs loads in comparison

3 Topeak ones here, Baby bag, Mummy bag (with drop down panniers) and the big expanding Daddy bag, although the stitching has gone on one of the drop down panniers after only 17yrs might have put too much in it though.

vickster

Legendary Member
The slide on ones will always be fairly heavy due to the plastic slidy on bit and the chunky yellow clip. The racks themselves are weighty too (I use the aforementioned Altura bag with an Ultralight rack)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The slide on ones will always be fairly heavy due to the plastic slidy on bit and the chunky yellow clip. The racks themselves are weighty too (I use the aforementioned Altura bag with an Ultralight rack)
I weighed my little one, 503 gms without the strap.

The Ridge rack bag from Halfords - it's somewhat smaller than the Topeak.

How do I know this? The small Topeak one doesn't fit on my shrunk-in-a-boil-wash hybrid, but the Ridge one does.

It's about 1/3 smaller, ample for a tool roll, jacket, banana and maps. And for £25, you can't go far wrong.

OP
OP
D

donnysp

Some fantastic ideas here. Thanks everyone!

A zip tied plastic box could well meet my requirements. I don’t need something removable, and I’d prefer it be waterproof. Would probably look rather unusual :smile:

(Sorry for not replying sooner. I chose the “watch thread” thingy but didn’t get anything.)

Top Bottom