Tips for increasing my speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Strava told me that yesterday my 51yr old self, beat my 45 yr old self up a local hill (6 minute climb) which I was quite pleased with, as the 51 yr old self is carrying half a stone more ballast, and the 45yr self was pretty fit, as was preparing for a coast to coast plus ride.

vickster

Legendary Member
Tailwind... :whistle:

D

Deleted member 1258

Thanks for those links. I hadn't realised that they had changed the standards yet again. It seems like I have an extra 21 seconds to beat my age std. Only got to do 29:30 now! Maybe tomorrow night?

Go for it!

I've been quite obsessed with avg speed myself since I started almost 2 years ago. How can you not? We all just like to go fast!

The obsession with speed has been a bit of a problem. I've been following a program and more often than not I found myself not sticking to it and putting in the extra effort just to reach that wanted avg speed. Typically, in my Z2 rides my hr would creep up to Z3.

I'm now trying a different approach: I have personalised the wahoo screen so now I don't see the speed: I only see HR, distance, metres of climbing. Still find it very hard to not know how fast I'm going and having to wait until I get home.

One sure thing is my coach is happier with me because now I stick to the program :laugh:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Strava told me that yesterday my 51yr old self, beat my 45 yr old self up a local hill (6 minute climb) which I was quite pleased with, as the 51 yr old self is carrying half a stone more ballast, and the 45yr self was pretty fit, as was preparing for a coast to coast plus ride.

I think it’s quite nice when you have hills where your times are comparable to your times 5 ,10 or more years ago. A decline will inevitably happen at some point but it’s nice holding it off for as long as possible

Buck

Guru
Hello.

Just a year or so ago I was markedly and reliably faster on road cycling routes where I live.
My average speed was usually 16.5, 17, and 18 mph over 20, 30, 40+ mile rides.
I have had two operations in the past 18 months with a month or two out of action.

I need to lose a little weight, but not alot, and i'm over 50 but I really wan't to try and get my speed up.
I do about 100 miles a week, all year round, commuting and a longer ride at weekends, with a few lumps.
My bike is light enough, 8.5-9KG.
I have been using a turbo trainer in winter with Zwift and so of the workouts are pretty good.
I have a speedo/gps on the bars.

I get quite a bit of pain in my legs if I push too hard, so I tend to stay under the pain threshold as much as possible.

I need to figure out a plan of action to try and get some more pace.

Ideas and advice welcome.

PS, I currently just about manage 15 mph average most of the time

I share your challenges. Without the detail, my illness and operations left me woefully weak and with long term/permanent right leg pain and nerve damage.

This year was my first year for a while with no illness or operations so I was determined to improve “me”. Both my pace and endurance were way off my previous and with a few years on the age tally it was harder to progress my fitness in the way I wanted.

To correct his, I used a 12 week training programme from Training Peaks that I did on Zwift for 90% of the rides which was very demanding time and effort wise but I do think it has helped me immensely. I’ll PM the details to you

One thing I found was that my cadence had also dropped - my leg just wouldn’t respond to what I wanted it to do. My physio said that as a result of the trauma, it was my leg “forgetting” how to work like it did before as well as the nerve damage and so I did quite a lot of targeted stretching, control and balance work, as well as some skipping (!) and then, on the bike, high cadence work (the workout above helped with that too).

I do think that some of the improvements are simply time and effort based and it may be worth seeing a Physio to look at the specific pain issues perhaps? You can then work through these with mild discomfort but in a controlled and safe way (cold sweats, self doubt and a little fear were all part of my experience of recovery.)

I still struggle with endurance and the leg doesn’t thank me after a good ride but I am bettermin many ways than I was 5 years ago.

Don‘t beat yourself up but do push yourself and be realistic in those incremental gains as they famously say!

Thats a respectable time for a hundred miles, I've never time trialed, I did do the spring reliability trials when I was younger, 7 - 7.5 hours for the 100 in 8hours.
Very respectable but crazily no where near the top club TTers. My club mate just did 1h44 for his first 50 miles and was 2nd. If he ever did a ton he'd be comfortably under 4 hours at a guess 😯

D

Deleted member 1258

Very respectable but crazily no where near the top club TTers. My club mate just did 1h44 for his first 50 miles and was 2nd. If he ever did a ton he'd be comfortably under 4 hours at a guess 😯

Some of the times put up by the young riders these days are scary fast.

Some of the times put up by the young riders these days are scary fast.
I was talking about this with one of retired club riders the other day he was quite astounded by my sub hour 25miles. I pointed out to him the 1962 10 mile record was something like 22mins the current one is 16odd minutes. I bet the 1962 rider was just as strong just there's new technology and busier roads (more traffic draught or what ever they call it). There might be an aspect of new training techniques too. Him beating the hour in the 70s was a much more awesome effort.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Time will get you every time :-) I'd definitely get the injury issues sorted before fretting overmuch on regaining previous fitness. After the Nice Lady in the Car knocked me for six it took a year to get back to my previous (indifferent) standard. Was helped by the physio in some 'spot the obvious' ways, so can recommend it. Does your work have an Occ. Health provision? Could get the physio for free. Good luck!

Top Bottom