Tips for my 10mil result. Is it Good/bad ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lucstra

I am a 17yr Male 66KG 175cm. I workout time to time but do little cardio.
Hi, I’ve recently had a spark in interest in cycling from watching videos of professionals road racing and past tour de France’s.
I want feedback on how good/bad my 10mil test result is and wondering if It is possible for me to eventually go in and do well in amateur cycle races. I live in the U.K.

Attachments

• 5E0E3089-26E1-4335-8318-97F5F84D9855.jpeg
    5E0E3089-26E1-4335-8318-97F5F84D9855.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 24

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
It doesn’t matter what you can do in the gym, as it’s not on the road. No wind resistance, potholes, poor road surfaces, weather etc.

But, with TTs you are only racing yourself, so it doesn’t really matter how fast you go for starters. So just find a local club and have a go!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
:welcome:

30 min static's OK as a start. You'll probably extend that to 35 min or so on the road with headwind / hills / traffic / etc.

This was my son's almost 2 years ago - 16 min 48, after which he xx( on his brother:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6whjZ_0s3A

This year he did 14 min 50 on the rollers at the age of 14.

As a guideline from indoors to road, his best road time this year was about 21 minutes.

The best way to get used to road racing is to get out there, join a club/local ride and get used to riding at speed. If time-trialling that's solo but still needs miles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lucstra

30 min static's OK as a start. You'll probably extend that to 35 min or so on the road.

This was my son's almost 2 years ago - 16 min 48, after which he xx( on his brother:

As a guideline from indoors to road, his best road time this year was about 21 minutes.

The best way to get used to road racing is to get out there, join a club/local ride and get used to riding at speed. If time-trialling that's solo but still needs miles.

Wow 😯

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
That's a pretty low power average for 30 mins. I wouldn't worry it just shows your aerobic fitness is low. A reflection of your lack of cardio. Put in some regular focused training and you'll see those figures climb rapidly.

Stompier

If - as you say - you are coming from a low level of aerobic fitness, then an aerobic test like this is going to tell you very little in terms of useful data (other than how relatively unfit you are!). A more useful test in your position would be something like a 6sec max power test, which might give you more of a clue as to your potential going forward. Peak power tends to vary a lot less with fitness compared to average power or FTP.

Sharky

Guru
Until you can calibrate the gym machine against actual riding on the road, you won't be able to predict you performance in the real world. The gym machine could be easier or harder than on the road.
But keep a record of the gym results and work to improve them through the winter. Once you can get a benchmark from a real time trial, you will know the significance of the in door measurements.

If you have ambitions for massed start road racing, there are lots of other factors to be considered. e.g. variation in speeds.
I think I read in Mark Cavendish's book, that his training figures were not special, but come to a race his results were special.

Stompier

Until you can calibrate the gym machine against actual riding on the road, you won't be able to predict you performance in the real world. The gym machine could be easier or harder than on the road.

The OP's pic shows a Wattbike screen, so the data is going to be relatively reliable as far as it goes. In terms of 'calibrating' the wattbike for road riding - that's not really the purpose of an indoor trainer and it's not really possible to calibrate any indoor bike in a way that would ever give you an accurate representation of 'natural' outdoor riding. Zwift is about as close as you can get to that currently, and even that's got its limitations in terms of realism.

OP
OP
L

Lucstra

He's say "thanks", but he's at a weekend training camp for the team he now rides for.

You won't know where you're at until you get training properly; some go nowhere but there's others who really develop and do well.

Where are you based?
Newcastle U.K.

:welcome:

30 min static's OK as a start. You'll probably extend that to 35 min or so on the road with headwind / hills / traffic / etc.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6whjZ_0s3A

:bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo:
Going back a few years to when I last did a '10' on the rollers it was just under 20minutes and my best on the road was around 27 minutes. I could probably better it now as I do more regular focused training and my out doors time on a sporting course is sub 25 minutes, and on a flatter non dc course sub 24minutes. I'm hoping now I've got thing sorted out physically, I can go faster again next year; not as fast as your boy though:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Last edited:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I am a 17yr Male 66KG 175cm. I workout time to time but do little cardio.
Hi, I’ve recently had a spark in interest in cycling from watching videos of professionals road racing and past tour de France’s.
I want feedback on how good/bad my 10mil test result is and wondering if It is possible for me to eventually go in and do well in amateur cycle races. I live in the U.K.

Sure it's possible.
You'll need a couple of seasons of consistent riding before you really get to find out what you can do. Time-trialling with a local club is a good way to get started- there is a pretty low barrier to entry (bicycle, a little enthusiasm and a couple of quid for entry- although you will be expected to join a club after trying out a local event a couple of times). It is a good way to get into riding, training and for finding out how to get into other aspects of cycle sport. Club time trials usually start around mid-late April. At this point have a look and see what opportunities you have to ride, do a bit more mileage and perhaps find out about clubs near you and what they offer.

Top Bottom