Tips for setting up and adjusting my Simplex tour de france changer aka derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ridelover9941

Hey guys :smile: I'm still in a pickle of setting up my 1940's Simplex Tour de France changer aka derailleur (this derailleur was called changer back in the old old days) and cycleops recommended me to ask someone on here who has messed with this type of derailleur before to get some tips and guidance. I'll post pictures of the derailleur a little later. Also, do you think it'll work on my vintage Fuji S12-S LTD road bike? If not then what kind of bike do I need to look for (or possibly build or make)? Thanks a bunch!

alicat

Legendary Member
Perhaps move your post to the mechanical repairs section or the vintage section and you will get more coverage.

alicat

Legendary Member
I think there might but I've never tried. You could just cut and paste and leave a post at the end of this thread saying what you have done.

OP
OP
R

ridelover9941

Let me know if you need pictures. I'll upload them this evening anyway.

My Fuji road bike is either from the 70's or 80's. I'm just not sure. I got it from a friend back in 2013. As to answer the question of why I want to put the tour de france derailleur on my Fuji is JUST to TEST IT OUT.

OP
OP
R

ridelover9941

Attachments

• MY TOUR DE FRANCE DERAILLEUR PICTURE 3.jpg
    MY TOUR DE FRANCE DERAILLEUR PICTURE 3.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 68

mikeymustard

Veteran
That's quite something! I don't think I've ever come across anyone who's asked what bike they should get to fit a component they have!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Looks simple enough. Not the best pictures in the world but appears to have a cable stop and a cable clamp bolt on the toggle chain. Also appears to have variable tension for the derailleur cage. The most important factors I can forsee are the range of movement (i.e how many sprockets it is able to move across) and how the hi-lo limits are set or adjusted. Would hopefully be fairly obvious once the item was in your hand?

If you want to try it out on a current bike then you may be limited to movement across only 3 or 4 sprockets of a 6spd freewheel. Oh, and I am certain you will only get it to work with friction shifters, very little chance of getting it to cooperate with an indexed system.

Top Bottom