1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips on braking link

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Tynan, 24 Feb 2008.

1. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

Been a googling about for bit and bobs and found this a useful read, nothing earth shattering but thorough and well written I though

and get the very final tip, yikes

http://www.bicyclesource.com/tips_for_braking_on_roads

apologies for those been there seen that done it

2. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

:biggrin:

3. mr Mag00

mr Mag00 rising member

i hardly ever use my front brake on the road:sad: is that wrong?

4. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

depends how fast you need to stop I suggest, the back is good for locking the back wheel in my experience, not a great deal else in a need to stop really nowish moment

I rather liked that site for all sorts of things, seemed to be pitched to my level of not a complete idiot

Going to be tackling the Seven Sisters Hill tomorrow on their advice, I get up it in good form but always have nothing left at the top, it is a bugger of a hill though, starts slow, gets fairly steep and then steepens at the end and a gentle uphill for a long while after that

5. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

I like the "melt" into the tarmac with the twist your bars thing - hmmm more like slam you into it !

6. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

deedy

the writer is disarmingly blase about wrecks isn't he?

it worked for me

7. yenrod

yenrod Guest

On a bike your eyes are the 1st brake: the actual brake is in your hands...

8. I'd agree with some of it, but pulling-on the brakes every 30sec or so when riding in the rain to keep the brakes dry ? Maybe something done on steel rims in the 70s...

AASHTA
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html

9. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

absolutely yenrod but sometimes it just happens surely and pushing it a bit in traffic means increased risk

and a car waiting to pull out can do so at any moment, eye contact/road position/highviz/lights notwithstanding

he doesn't say pull on the brakes, he's says clear the rims of water, I do that, if nothing else you can judge what sort of stopping power you can expect, as the author says, no-one has the same stopping power in the wet as the dry surely?

10. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

ooo, and some tips on audaxing

http://www.anothercyclingforum.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=7972c58ce670a76c2c1b143b5daf9483&topic=17443.0

11. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Dull :thumbsup:

12. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

I thought it was amusing, so sorry to have traumatised you

13. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Hmm, I only ever use my front, never the back or at least only rarely.