Tips on Brompton rack use

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
U

u_i

Über Member
If you want to carry more serious stuff you need like a backpack with a frame that you mount to the back of the seat and the back of the rack. Shown here.

Thanks! Looks like securing a big backpack/rucksack there will be the next project. A success would solve some problems for me.

As to larger items in general on the rack I succeeded in carrying some in the past, but the smaller ones that could slip out presented some challenge. In any case this looks like progress.

chriscross1966

Über Member
On other bikes I have a cargo net stashed around the rack as well. However, on B other considerations come in: 1. There is no good place for the net on B, particularly if you want no interference with fold. 2. The cords and hooks are already there and you do not want to pile excessive amounts of stuff on a folder, rather aiming for efficient multiuse. As to front luggage or rucksack, there is no point hauling it along if there is no expectation that you will be taking any load.

My anticipation was of a strategy of producing a net on the fly using the double cords and hooks, with the start along the post of @alicat above. Given that the current B rack has already 3 hooks on each side, and my rack from a few years ago has just 2, the manufacturer must anticipate that customers use them. Some issue is that you may have hard time making it work when in a hurry and not training ahead. For illustration, with the envelope example I came up with what is below. I am only pondering whether I might be missing some more general strategy.

View attachment 471054
Ah... I always have a bag with me... spare tube, couple of tools, the puncture kit etc...

OP
OP
U

u_i

Über Member
UPDATE: I got clips on Ebay that nicely complement the hooks, take no weight and do not interfere with rolling of the folded bike

Clips.jpg

ClipUse.jpg

Top Bottom