Tips on looking after a road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carpenter

Über Member
Absolutely; and reconnaissance Spitfires were given a good polish for a bit more speed :okay:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
No one with any sense of pride likes riding a dirty bike. Keeping a clean bike helps you detect any problems before they become a bigger problem. That, and a clean bike is a quicker bike :okay:

In full agreement with this. I'm no mechanic but the close inspection while washing and polishing helps me spot things which require a trip to the LBS.

A clean chain, cassette and chain rings is smoother and efficient to ride. Wipe the chain after every ride and it's pretty much job done.

I feel good on a clean bike and for me a rider who feels good will ride better.

Gunk

Guru
In full agreement with this. I'm no mechanic but the close inspection while washing and polishing helps me spot things which require a trip to the LBS.

A clean chain, cassette and chain rings is smoother and efficient to ride. Wipe the chain after every ride and it's pretty much job done.

All my bikes and motorbike are kept pretty clean, as @PaulSB says; you spot things when you keep your stuff clean. If you are cleaning a front wheel and as you spin it the pads are rubbing against the disc, then that’s a little problem and you fix it there and then, if you don’t bother cleaning it then on your next ride that little problem can become a bigger problem.

screenman

Legendary Member
Don’t use a jet wash, unless it’s a really filthy mountain bike.

Been using them on all my bikes for a very long time, I have no problems keeping them clean and reliable.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
I was taught to ride a motorcycle by "John" a serving motorcycle cop, a very advanced driver for many years, he always said a good clean is a way to spot issues before they arrive, he always washed his motorcycle at the end of his shift, he did this to spot problems before he was back on the road again, I suppose some of his ethos has stuck with me.

Top Bottom