Tips on looking after a road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
My one tendency towards OCD when it comes to bike cleaning, is using a silicone lubricant spray and a cloth to clean the rubber hoods on my brifters. I can't stand the tacky feeling of the rubber that they all tend to suffer from after a few years of use. Silicone lubricant spray seems to cure it for a while.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
My one tendency towards OCD when it comes to bike cleaning, is using a silicone lubricant spray and a cloth to clean the rubber hoods on my brifters. I can't stand the tacky feeling of the rubber that they all tend to suffer from after a few years of use. Silicone lubricant spray seems to cure it for a while.
1591361785285.png

:okay:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's a bit like the perennial "what chain lube" question. "Something" is waaaaay better than "nothing". The difference between the different kinds of "something" is slight. The difference between "something" and "nothing" is vast.

Same applies to looking after a bike. Just don't completely neglect it. Clean it a bit. Clean it a lot if you really like the end result. Just don't leave it soaking and muddy in a damp garage.

carpenter

Über Member

I have used le Chameau boot spray to good effect (I have a pair of their wellies, so I have some of the spray under the sink before anyone thinks that I bought it just for my bike):

https://www.philipmorrisdirect.co.uk/le-chameau-boot-maintenance-spray/

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

I know that it’s relatively easy to clean muck off the frame, but what is the best way to get rid of any muck on any screws on the bike?

boydj

Legendary Member
Ok.
Even in the dry a bike gets dirty/dusty, road film. It’s OK to leave it wet, it’s OK, to wipe it down, whatever you prefer is cool. They don’t dissolve into a pool of tears.
The grease point was about fitting pedals, grease the threads well. Actually I only ever use vaseline as grease and it’s always worked just fine. Otherwise pedals need bugger all maintainance.
I wouldn’t use WD40 as a chain lube. For me finish line green stays put better than most, doesn’t get washed-away by rain. A WD40 soaked rag will help remove excess oil and dirt from the outside of the chain if you like after a ride. Lube again when necessary.

Bikes are simple and robust, most of the time a wipe with a WD40 or oily rag in the old days will keep it in pretty good shape.

Like most hobbies there’s a lot of rubbish proffered and people willing to sell you snake oil....

You've never used Speedplay pedals...................

Top Bottom