Tips on looking after a road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roley poley

Über Member
I'd rather give the OCD toothbrush cleaning routine a miss and go and drink a beer instead.....
the only times I do use a toothbrush is to clean threads of things in a bit of white spirit when they are off for a service coz that's the only way I can get in there..that and the grout in the shower..behind the loo...and the garden path on a Sunday :whistle: :cheers:

figbat

Slippery scientist
A cyclist in our village cleans his tyre sidewalls every week (along with the rest of the bike) - I can't remember ever cleaning my tyre sidewalls.
Does hosing mud off of them count?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I'm guilty of that too. The whole tyre, tread and all. :blush:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

carlosfandangus

Über Member
I must admit to cleaning regularly, car shampoo or that special cleaner I bought from the local Spar, its green and you can do dishes with it too,
If I have been for a ride down the seafront after a windy high tide I always hose off, sea water is not the best for bikes, I used to have an alloy bike with a white matt finish, I got so pissed off trying to keep it clean, I ended up stripping it down, went over it with T cut and then waxed it, I will never buy a matt white bike again

A cyclist in our village cleans his tyre sidewalls every week (along with the rest of the bike) - I can't remember ever cleaning my tyre sidewalls.
I wash mine with a brush.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The only time my tyres get washed is if I ride through a puddle. I can understand wanting to hose off sea water or road salt in winter, but other than that, I reckon bike cleaning is for people with too much time on their hands! :laugh:

Top Bottom