Tips on looking after a road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Proctor and Gamble ingredient list for "Fairy liquid" - bold my highlight:

Aqua
• Sodium laureth sulphate
• Alcohol denat
• Lauramine oxide
• C9-11 pareth-8
• Sodium chloride
• 1,3-Cyclohexanedimethanamine
• PPG (polypropylene glycols)
• Dimethyl aminoethyl methecrylate/hydroxyproply acrylate copolymer cirate
• Parfum
• Geraniol
• Limonene
• Colourant

I used to carry out research using emulsions (polymerisation of PVC mainly). The salt is added to adjust the viscosity of the detergent.
All of which is old news.
It’s low level which gets further diluted in the bucket, it’s hosed-off.
It’s a non-issue.
If it was, my aluminium and my steel pans would have dissolved years ago....

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
A wipe of the drive train is the standard thing each ride. The rest as and when.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Hose it down on arrival home in the case of a foul weather ride/covered with mud before it cakes on (esp. underside of down tube). I don't own a pressure washer but if I did I would use it carefully, without being a wazzock and targeting bearing seals.

(Almost) always
Clean the chain with an old rag and a bit of white spirit. Maybe a toothbrush too if it's been on a horrible/muddy ride. Re lube/wipe down with rag.
Exceptions being after lovely sunny day rides, maybe.

Often
Clean the derailleurs and chainwheels. Get gunk out of jockey wheels. Dots of oil on pivot points. Dot of oil on cables where they pass beneath bottom bracket.
Pop out rear wheel and floss between the sprockets with a rag/white spirit.

As required
Clean the tyres, wheel rims, inside mudguards and frame as required with rag/scrubbing brush and lots of water. I use hot/warm water with washing up liquid. Nothing bad has ever happened as a result.

Occasionally
Deep clean. Clean the rims with isopropyl alcohol and spruce the paintwork* up with turtle wax.

Check that the brake cables are tightened up as blocks wear down.

* It's a steel frame. If you spruce up a carbon frame it will probably dissolve or something.

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Re: ingredient lists, being midway says very little about it’s absolute percentage....
C= salt

Ingredients:
A=73%
B=23%
C=3%
D=0.8%
E=0.2%

Reactions: C R

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
FWIW mine gets washed with plain water to start with / soften the crap (and only this if I can get away with it), if it's particularly dirty I use Muc-off Nano spray. The latter is a little pricey (around £10/L IIRC or about half this if you buy 5L) however it does the job nicely and so far (admittedly as a pretty fair weather cyclist) I'm about 70% through my first litre after nearly 2yrs. I'd personally not use washing up liquid as it's a pretty aggressive degreaser and not kind to paint or paint surface treatments.

Speaking of which my frame gets a dose of Carnauba wax periodically after washing which leaves the surface nice and shiny, protects it and makes dirt easier to remove in future.

I use a set of muc-off brushes for cleaning the bike as they do a pretty good job of getting into all the hard-to-reach areas while being soft enough not to damage the paint. Once scrubbed the bike's rinsed and dried off with an old towel.

My drivetrain gets little attention as I wax my chain so it stays pretty spotless throughout :becool:

I'd add another endorsement for mudguards as so far the SKS Longboards on my CdF have done a great job of keeping the crap off the frame, fork and me; restricting mud buildup to a few specific areas where the chainstays / seatstays / frame wipe of excess from the sides of the wheels at they pass through.

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
There's nowhere near enough salt in washing up liquid to cause issues when used on anything. It's an old wives tale.
It's like saying you can use grease to wash the bike because there's soap in it. :rolleyes:
There's also virtually no danger of using a hose pipe on a bike. It might have been an issue decade's ago, but modern seals on bike hubs etc can easily withstand that sort of water pressure. Even a pressure washer is little danger to a bike unless used by an idiot.

My own regime is to wash the entire bike with lots of washing up liquid to make it more soapy and warm water. Cold water works too but takes longer to loosen up the dirt apparently (I've never really timed it) and freezes your hands in the winter.
For the chain, chainset, cassette and dérailleurs, washing up liquid on it own makes a good enough degreaser.
A common household scrubbing brush used to agitate the oil.
Do the drive train before everything else or you'll find dirty oil spots splattered everywhere.
Rinse the bike with a hose and dry either with a towel/tshirt/frilly French knickers etc or let it drip dry. I like to bounce mine on its wheels a couple times to shake most of the water off.
Along with the chain its helpful but not entirely necessary to drop a drop of oil on the derailleur pivots points, leave a while then wipe the excess oil off. Same with the chain. Don't soak it in oil but put it on sparingly and wipe any excess off. Oil attracts dirt.
A bit of polish makes it all nice and shiny but does little else. It's worth it imo.

roley poley

Über Member
I use mudguards with flaps. A bit of wd40, old Sox on the hand or t-shirt for wipes and keep turning them round /inside out to present a clean wipe surface to the job or you rub the muck back in as you scratch the paint work . I used baby wipes because we had LOADS at one point.. don't flush em bin em..White spirit for degrease when servicing parts off the bike.Salt in washing up liquid going on your bike...give it a good rinse ..I bet sweaty bloke me drips more salt on the bike from his chin on hills :blush:

Garry A

Calibrating.....
Gt-85 on a rag and wipe all over frame. Lube and wipe the chain. Wipe rims with a soapy wet cloth. Lube in pivot points. When it's needed.
If I'm really bored, once in a while I'll disassemble the drive train, degrease it then lube.
Dry weather rider.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
As all the comments above ( most methods are used) depends on time, how dirty etc, I (mainly )always use cold water, I used to have a couple of BMW motorbikes and the handbook said "in winter weather do not use hot water to wash your bike, it reactivates any road salt" I don't stick to this as It takes more than half a bucket full for the hot water to come through the tap in the garage^_^

All uphill

Still rolling along
Long, close fitting mudguards make a huge difference.

Quick brush over with clean, cold water from garden hose, wipe with Tesco micro-fibre cloths.

That's it.

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

I’m not sure what the weather is like where all of you live, but where I live it has been raining on and off for the last few days. My bike is getting fixed next week and I want to go out when the weather is nice (who does not?), but there is a chance I may get caught out in rain.

Once I get home, is it sufficient enough to use a towel, cloth, or whatever, and give the bike a quick clean/dry?

How do I avoid the pedals becoming seized? Do I spray WD40 or something similar on the pedals every now and then?

Similarly, do I use WD40 on the chain after every other ride?

I want to avoid getting any rust on any of the parts on the bike and keep it in good condition.

Top Bottom