Tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
This year my colleagues and I will be divvying up about £80 between us and sharing a couple of boxes of biscuits, a tub of Celebrations and a dozen or so mince pies, left out for us by grateful householders.

Talking about it though, we agreed that we'd rather get no tips at all, if only all householders made the effort to sort their recycling a bit, and not put out boxes filled with random crap, all year round. Tips make us happy for a week or so, and then are spent. But the job goes on for 52 weeks! There's nothing quite so demoralising as picking through a mass of torn up bits of cardboard and paper in the rain trying to separate them.

Of course, the people who tip us tend to to be the people who make the most effort throughout the year anyway, and we're grateful for both!

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Oh, not...

asparagus-tips.jpg

or...

crystal-tipps-and-alistair.jpg

or...

swan_slimline_tips.jpg

...then?

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well, I'd happily have the asparagus!

But people don't tend to throw that out in edible condition. I did get some free carrots and half a swede the other day...

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Arch, I find this recycling pavlava quite confusing at times. Unless you are in the know, sometimes is really hard to differentiate.
Glass jars: recycle with lid or without? What to do with the lid, then?
Mushroom container from supermarket: is it plastic, cardboard, or what?
At work: put empty glass bottles in glass bin, ok, but why it says on it "no drinking glasses"?
Big cardboard boxes, again from work: should one take the strong parcel tape off, or not?
And so on!
What to do with stuff like: spent brake pads, empty lube spray cans ... a worn freewheel?
Any useful links for environmental friendly disposal of stuff from the expert, please?
BTW, I am doing a decluttering for the new year, found a few "wee" items. My local wee recycling depot has a big sign "no pedestrians" ... wait until I come on the bike with the trailer! :laugh:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The more recycling the better, and I don't find it too much bother to sort it. My sister lives in Cardiff and they just seemed to chuck all their recycling in one bag for the council to sort at a depot, whereas we have the different containers for putting it all in. The hardest thing is remembering which week we are on, as to what to put out.

we have separate bins here (coventry had one bin for recycling, one for rubbish) and they all live up the back alley,
the bin lorry goes through the 'cut so never have to remember to put the bin out, it's great!

although, one is for normal waste, one is cardboard and paper, another for glass and metal, and one more for garden waste and food (had a door to door survey when that was introduced and asked, when told it was of no use, why we didn't use it. Food waste goes straight into a bin liner which we then can't put it in the garden / food waste bin as it's no bags, our garden is paved, so no garden waste to go in either)

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Arch, I find this recycling pavlava quite confusing at times. Unless you are in the know, sometimes is really hard to differentiate.
At work: put empty glass bottles in glass bin, ok, but why it says on it "no drinking glasses"?
Big cardboard boxes, again from work: should one take the strong parcel tape off, or not?
And so on!
What to do with stuff like: spent brake pads, empty lube spray cans ... a worn freewheel?
Any useful links for environmental friendly disposal of stuff from the expert, please?
BTW, I am doing a decluttering for the new year, found a few "wee" items. My local wee recycling depot has a big sign "no pedestrians" ... wait until I come on the bike with the trailer! :laugh:

Ah, questions, questions...

Sadly, I can't be definitive for you, because all councils' policies differ (which is annoying, it would make so much more sense if there was one central policy). However, I'll try my best based on our rules... (and to add to the complication, 'we' aren't the council, so our policy differs from City of York). Best really to check with your council.

We take them with lids on if people put them out like that. The lids will be removed when the glass is smashed up in the recycling process. Jam Jar lids are steel, so could be put in with tins if you want to get them recycled. Plastic ones we just leave on jars, unless they are coffee lids, see below*

Not sure, containers vary, I'd have to see it. There are quite a lot of compressed card containers for fruit and veg these days, we treat them as cardboard. But plastic trays, or polystyrene, we don't take, see below**

Drinking glasses have been treated in a different way to bottle glass - they make a different sound when broken. Too much of that sort of glass contaminates the bottle glass and affects the quality of the recycled material. Pyrex is the same.

We'll take boxes with parcel tape still attached, unless it's been really heavily covered, in which case we'll try and take it off. The real pain is boxes with plastic windows in (like some cakes come in), as that plastic contaminates the cardboard. The even put windows in boxes of Tampax, for goodness sake. If you don't know what a tampon looks like, you really shouldn't be buying them...

Brake pads, landfill. Empty spray cans - we'd take them in the household recycling, but some councils won't take aerosols I think. If not, they would be scrap metal, along with the freewheel.

Ideally, your council should be able to advise you, but I know that getting through to councils can be a thankless task - we work for them and we struggle to get info (or our money!) sometimes. Your local tip should have a fairly good variety of skips to allow rubbish to be separated into metals, wood, possibly some plastics etc.

You might find some help here:
http://www.recyclenow.com/

BTW, I am doing a decluttering for the new year, found a few "wee" items. My local wee recycling depot has a big sign "no pedestrians" ... wait until I come on the bike with the trailer!

This is a bugbear. At the York tip, I gather, they'll take stuff from cyclists at the gate - I've never done it myself. As ever, peds and cyclists are excluded mostly because the drivers aren't likely to be paying attention properly.

*We have a special waste stream for coffee jar lids. Terracycle are an organisation that arrange the recycling of certain materials that wouldn't otherwise get recycled, sponsored by the manufacturers. We collect Actimel bottles and coffee packaging and get paid for them - it's open to any group who want to collect for a charity.

**Plastic is a minefield. We at St Nicks only take 'bottles' - pop, milk, shampoo, washing up liquid etc. We don't take plastic food trays, tupperware, yoghurt and marg tubs, film wrapping etc. This is because bottles tend to be a 'pure' plastic (type 1 or 2), whereas the others are polymers of different plastics, and are harder or impossible to recycle. We'd just have to put them in our landfill bin. However where the council operate, they take all plastics mingled, and they get sorted at a plant - the recyclable stuff is extracted and the rest landfilled. This gives people the impression that the council recycle all plastic, when they don't - in fact if a batch is very contaminated, the whole lot just goes into landfill anyway. We feel our way is more honest. We sort all our materials at the kerbside by hand, which means we get a higher quality (and therefore more valuable) product to sell to our merchants.

Lots of plastics say "recyclable where facilities exist" which is a handy get out, because facilities simply may not be exist locally or within economic distance. Tetra-paks for example, are a composite of card, foil and plastic. They can be recycled - but there's currently no plant in the UK that does it. They have to be shipped to Germany or Sweden.

It is tricky, thanks to all the variations around the country, but some people seem to go out of their way to find it harder than it is! We deliver leaflets reminding our households what we take a couple of times a year (eg, with the letter detailing the changes to collections at Christmas) and we often find the leaflet thrown out the next week, in a box full of unrecyclable rubbish. :rolleyes:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Thanks for the info, Arch: I always wondered about tetra-packs: in Germany I got pulled up by family when I just binned them, knowing that here you are not supposed to put them in the blue bin :rolleyes:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
@Arch should you wash things before recycling? I know some people spend an age washing out used tins/containers, but others just sling them straight in the recycling bag. I don't think our council website mentions it, but surely it requires most people to conform or its a fruitless task?

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I am staggered people still tip bin men etc ,, must be 10-15 years ago since i heard of anyone doing it, then again i never understood why people tip others just for doing there job.
The wife works in a supermarket on late evenings , has to put up with drunks , abusive idiots etc and never gets a penny in tips , yet go to a restaraunt where again they are on minimum wage and its still expected, why. (saying that i always tip in rastaraunts, Duh)

God i am a mizzo ... or just missunderstood ... no its the mizzo i think

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
We have tipped in the past, then they changed contractors and I didn't get to know the new bin men as well (plus now that there are multiple lorries it's a bit more expensive.)

I'm good and remove the plastic film on cardboard box windows - they are normally pretty easy to pull off. I'm always amazed how much cardboard I generate in two weeks - it fills the sack every time even with folding the boxes etc.

With plastics - South Glos take far fewer items than Bristol. In Bristol they take almost all of it except the black/dark plastic - that would come back again in the box. Soon learnt not to put it out.

byegad

Legendary Member
So far this thread shows the difficulties of recycling rather well.

But fails to mention the differences between Authorities. We take at least one holiday a year in a cottage 'Somewhere in England'. The rules at each cottage of what goes in to which bag, box or bin are frequently strange and wonderful. Some will let you mix glass and plastics, others want them separate, at home we can mix plastics, cardboard and paper, in the cottage we took last year they had to be in different boxes.

Surely we can save effort and recycle more if the collection and recycling/disposal of waste was a national effort, to a national standard?

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
@Arch should you wash things before recycling? I know some people spend an age washing out used tins/containers, but others just sling them straight in the recycling bag. I don't think our council website mentions it, but surely it requires most people to conform or its a fruitless task?

Well, we'd prefer that people at least rinse things out yes. That is partly because we hand sort (yes, we have gloves!) and obviously anything left in containers tends to get a bit rank. I guess if nobody rinsed anything it would eventually start to affect the quality of the recycled material. It doesn't have to b sparkling, just a swill under the tap or in the dregs of the washing up water.There's no real need to take labels off either - most recycling processes are hot enough to vaporise paper!

What still amazes me, after three years, is the amount of stuff some people leave in tins and bottles etc. A whole spoonful of baked beans, a mouthful or more of beer in beer cans, a whole 'portion' of washing up liquid, a good dollop of ketchup. Some people are seemingly rich enough that they can not bother to even finish things if it requires the slightest effort. The amount of beer (well, Carling) some people drink and leave a mouthful in each can, they could save a whole can a week. All this forms a lovely slop in the bottom of those recycling boxes, which tend to be the ones left out in the garden in all weathers. I've certainly got over my distaste for slugs.

Soon after I started, I began collecting the bottles of washing up liquid that had a decent amount left in, and decanting them (by taking the cap off and upending the bottle over a container overnight). I haven't had to buy washing up liquid, or laundry liquid, for three years now.

On the tip subject - I don't tip my binmen or postman, despite being a tipee myself. I only tip in restaurants and my hairdresser, and to be honest, that's more out of a feeling I ought to. No one ought to have to rely on tips to make up to a living wage. As we decided, I feel it's better to simply be nice and helpful to people year round than tip them once a year.

(My council binmen are better paid than me anyway. But I like my job, despite some of the shittier moments).

It is amazing how much recycling some houses generate. We have two or three houses we know as top consumerists, where they seem to buy new stuff (toys, clothes, perfume etc) on a daily basis all year round. But many more are overflowing every week. The number of Amazon boxes! It seems there are still plenty of people who have more money than they know what to do with.

Oh, and a final note to students. Pizza is not recyclable. If you can't eat it, and you're so wealthy you can throw it away instead of having it for breakfast, don't leave it in the pizza box and put the whole lot out. We will hear it rattling and empty it out into your recycling box...

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
In my household I seem to be the only one who finishes the toothpaste tube. The kids were moaning about the flavour of the new tube, and I pointed out I hadn't tried it as I was about 3 tubes behind them. By the time I move onto the new tube it will be almost finished (and just left for me to declare it truly empty).

Top Bottom