Tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 2217338, member: 259"]If Belgium - one of the most disorganised and disjointed countries in Europe - can do it, anyone can.[/quote]

Exactly!

It's not rocket science to say we will sort x, y and z at home and plonk u into a common bin to be sorted by the depot. Then instead of each council sorting their own it's sorted in a regional centre. Donkey's years ago the Germans were recycling over 50% of their waste.

I dont tend to get round to tipping my bin men - but then I did not make a fuss when they knocked down my front wall with the bin lorry!

Mrs OTH always seems to cram a tin in a plastic jar in a box in a bag and as I tend to be the one who takes out the rubbish I stand there in the rain separating it all again.

Here, all the non recycling stuff goes off to an incinerator (sorry it is an energy recovery facility or something) and I feel really bad if anything plastic goes in our non-recycling as the emissions from the plant are rather nasty. So that oddly seems to be my incentive to recycle.

ayceejay

Guru
Oh yes, tips. Many moons ago I worked as a waiter in a posh hotel and we relied on tips to make our take home pay liveable, we were even taxed on an amount the government estimated we got. At the time New Zealand had a no tipping campaign going on, imagine the pleasure I got from receiving a coin that had written on it "we believe everyone should get a decent wage so we don't tip."

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I go to the "local"* recycling centre with my trailer- never had a problem, but some can be difficult.

I have every intention to go to my local recycling centre ( the only one in my district I could find that takes electrical goods) with my bike trailer the week after next. I will report on here :biggrin:

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Oh yes, tips. Many moons ago I worked as a waiter in a posh hotel and we relied on tips to make our take home pay liveable, we were even taxed on an amount the government estimated we got. At the time New Zealand had a no tipping campaign going on, imagine the pleasure I got from receiving a coin that had written on it "we believe everyone should get a decent wage so we don't tip."

The writing must have been tiny!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Do you think it taught us the value of hard work?

Not me, I'm a lazy daffodil. My paper round was pretty cushy though, no early starts, one day a week for similar pay as those with daily rounds.

I bought a bike too. A Peugeot, from a catalogue.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Not me, I'm a lazy ****. My paper round was pretty cushy though, no early starts, one day a week for similar pay as those with daily rounds.

fark me, I'm going to have a argument with myself online! What a farking stupid post. I'm insinuating that if I had been given a harder paper round, like lugging loads of broadsheets around at 6 a.m. for less money, I might've learned the value of hard work. Which is total cock.

U

User482

According to the board at the tip, York recycles about 75%....

Food waste is another tricky one. We'd like to start a food waste collection but it requires extra licences and stuff, and an anerobic digester isn't something we have room for... As it is, the garden waste comes in faster than we can compost it! Why don't people with gardens have compost bins!?

Being an environmental charity, we want to do so much, but it's dependent on getting funding, and until the council give us a proper long term contract for the work we do for them, we can't get the funding so easily....
The board at the tip will be the recycling rate for that site only, I would think. We are up to 80% now I believe. It's all very impressive when you consider the dismal performance in the UK ten years ago.

ayceejay

Guru
It also had a picture of a kiwi on it and an emu with its young hiding in a tree on the other side was the history of NZ. Oh, and my eyes were better then than they are now.

Top Bottom