Tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Surely we can save effort and recycle more if the collection and recycling/disposal of waste was a national effort, to a national standard?

Yes, as I said, I think, we'd love it if there was a good national standard, and people used it! (And I'm sure I also mentioned the difference between councils in my reply to Pat, have you read the thread at all?:whistle: )

Although, actually, it's not that hard to follow the local procedure, assuming you have the info, and can read. I suppose I have the advantage of enjoying sorting things, and a little extra knowledge, but how hard is it to understand "plastic bottles only, no trays, pots or film" ? Some people seem to try to make it hard for themselves by putting all the recyclables together and having to sort through them in a rush as we turn into the street. Just put it in the right box or bag as you go, it takes no more time than putting it in the bin.

And I suspect any national standard would be the lowest common denominator, rather than raising the amount of recyclables in some areas.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Bought our post lady a bottle of Rose for Christmas as a thank you.

Our postie is a grumpy bugger. I often see him when we're working the same area, and he's never got a smile in response to mine.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
When I was a paperboy I used to get over £100 in tips each year, and on a salary of £6 a week that was a big deal!

I think one year my tips paid off the loan my dad* gave me to buy my Raleigh Mustang**

*tight as a knat's chuff

**yup, I actually posted something about cycling, which is unusual for me!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Arch, I find this recycling pavlava quite confusing at times. Unless you are in the know, sometimes is really hard to differentiate.
Glass jars: recycle with lid or without? What to do with the lid, then?
Mushroom container from supermarket: is it plastic, cardboard, or what?
At work: put empty glass bottles in glass bin, ok, but why it says on it "no drinking glasses"?
Big cardboard boxes, again from work: should one take the strong parcel tape off, or not?
And so on!
What to do with stuff like: spent brake pads, empty lube spray cans ... a worn freewheel?
Any useful links for environmental friendly disposal of stuff from the expert, please?
BTW, I am doing a decluttering for the new year, found a few "wee" items. My local wee recycling depot has a big sign "no pedestrians" ... wait until I come on the bike with the trailer! :laugh:

Varies a lot depending on where you live but your local authority should be able to help (we get updated information annually with our recycling calendars and there's additional information on the web or available from the council offices). It's pretty easy where I am, they take pretty much all plastics, except polystyrene, tetrapaks- but it was trickier a few years back where the type of plastics taken was more restricted.

I go to the "local"* recycling centre with my trailer- never had a problem, but some can be difficult.

*they closed the one near me, it's about four miles to the closest alternative- having said that it's a pretty pleasant ride!.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
When I was a paperboy I used to get over £100 in tips each year, and on a salary of £6 a week that was a big deal

I had a magic paper round, it was for a Saturday only sports paper. The disadvantage was it involved a lot of cycling because customers were pretty spread out, the advantage was it was Saturday evening after the football results were available and the punters were relaxed and generous. If I had some left over I'd sell them in the pub down the road, few minutes work at most to clear them.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I had a magic paper round, it was for a Saturday only sports paper. The disadvantage was it involved a lot of cycling because customers were pretty spread out, the advantage was it was Saturday evening after the football results were available and the punters were relaxed and generous. If I had some left over I'd sell them in the pub down the road, few minutes work at most to clear them.

Some left over? I got docked a quid of my wages if I made a mistake!

My route was rural but about 75% retired folk, who were very generous.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Some left over? I got docked a quid of my wages if I made a mistake!

My route was rural but about 75% retired folk, who were very generous.

There were always a number of spares in the count, sometimes a punter would see the logo on the bag and stop you and buy one.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod

There were always a number of spares in the count, sometimes a punter would see the logo on the bag and stop you and buy one.

Amazing!

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Oh, and a final note to students. Pizza is not recyclable. If you can't eat it, and you're so wealthy you can throw it away instead of having it for breakfast, don't leave it in the pizza box and put the whole lot out. We will hear it rattling and empty it out into your recycling box...

They just need a...

How do I use my kitchen caddy?

Using the corn starch bags provided, you can put the following in your caddy:

• fruit and vegetable peeling;
  • plate scrapings;
  • tea bags and coffee grounds;
  • cooked food, meat, fish or bones;
  • uncooked food;
  • dairy produce;
  • small amounts of fat and oil;
  • animal waste and bedding from pets that are vegetarian for example hamsters, mice, rabbits and guinea pigs. No cat, dog or horse waste.

When full, tie up the bag and place in your brown bin.

How to use your kitchen caddy (pdf 1mb opens in new window)

U

User482

We have tipped in the past, then they changed contractors and I didn't get to know the new bin men as well (plus now that there are multiple lorries it's a bit more expensive.)

I'm good and remove the plastic film on cardboard box windows - they are normally pretty easy to pull off. I'm always amazed how much cardboard I generate in two weeks - it fills the sack every time even with folding the boxes etc.

With plastics - South Glos take far fewer items than Bristol. In Bristol they take almost all of it except the black/dark plastic - that would come back again in the box. Soon learnt not to put it out.
Bristol now has recycling over 50% and waste to landfill is less than 25%.

U

User482

When I was a paperboy I used to get over £100 in tips each year, and on a salary of £6 a week that was a big deal!

I think one year my tips paid off the loan my dad* gave me to buy my Raleigh Mustang**

*tight as a knat's chuff

**yup, I actually posted something about cycling, which is unusual for me!
I was the same! I used my paper round money and tips to pay for my 1992 GT tequesta. My first decent bike...

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Bristol now has recycling over 50% and waste to landfill is less than 25%.

According to the board at the tip, York recycles about 75%....

Food waste is another tricky one. We'd like to start a food waste collection but it requires extra licences and stuff, and an anerobic digester isn't something we have room for... As it is, the garden waste comes in faster than we can compost it! Why don't people with gardens have compost bins!?

Being an environmental charity, we want to do so much, but it's dependent on getting funding, and until the council give us a proper long term contract for the work we do for them, we can't get the funding so easily....

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
According to the board at the tip, York recycles about 75%....

Food waste is another tricky one. We'd like to start a food waste collection but it requires extra licences and stuff, and an anerobic digester isn't something we have room for... As it is, the garden waste comes in faster than we can compost it! Why don't people with gardens have compost bins!?

Being an environmental charity, we want to do so much, but it's dependent on getting funding, and until the council give us a proper long term contract for the work we do for them, we can't get the funding so easily....
We have a compost bin, but some of the woody stuff can be better dealt with by the council or at the local large community compost heap - the scale of it means that it will get to far higher temperatures than I can at home so better for certain weeds. I've seen it steaming away - I must ask them if they know how hot it gets (I know a couple of people that volunteer there - ought to get off my own backside and offer to help too:whistle:).

Top Bottom