Titanic sinks...96th anniversary...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mortiroloboy

of that fateful 'night to remember', does anyone on here have any family connections with the sinking of the unsinkable ship?

Arch

Married to Night Train
not really. Would have been my dad's birthday today, if that helps... Which it doesn't... I'll shut up...

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
No idea, never been into Genealogy much.

Now there was a scary experience. Drowning is one way I would *not* like to go. Ice cold water is bad enough (having been a scuba diver I know what cold water feels like and that's from inside a drysuit!) but to know that you're trapped and going to drown...

...oooh, sends shivers up my spine just thinking about it.

Kirstie said:
The being trapped in cold water part really gives me the willies. Not nice at all. But apparently drowning is one of the better ways to die. Apparently it feels as if you're nicely drunk, and then you pass out (for good).

Getting the willies is not good...

one is bad enough sometimes.:biggrin::evil:

domtyler

Über Member
True, but looking back, it was a totally new, untested, concept ship. Taking its maiden voyage around the world through the most dangerous seas. Stuffed full of passengers with no rescue plan should things go wrong...

dbg

it was a totally new, untested, concept ship
Was it? news to me, she was a near enough direct copy of her sister ship the Olympic which was launched the year before and had a very long career

domtyler

Über Member
dbg said:
Was it? news to me, she was a near enough direct copy of her sister ship the Olympic which was launched the year before and had a very long career

The Olympic was received well, but on 20th September 1911 she was involved in a collision with cruiser HMS Hawke. After limping back to Belfast she was repaired using components from her sister (Titanic) then under construction.

After the Titanic disaster, Olympic underwent various safety improvements including lifeboats for all aboard, and in October 1912 she returned to Belfast again for installation of an inner watertight skin.
http://www.starway.org/Titanic/Sister_Ships.html

Seems the very long career was mainly thanks to the safety enhancements hurried in after the Titanic disaster.

Top Bottom