Titanic sinks...96th anniversary...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There was a TV programme on a few nights ago that was building up evidence that it was not the Titanic that sunk but was the Olympic which had had its back broken in the collision with HMS Hawke.

After about an hour of building up this story of them being switched get the insurance for the unrepairable Olympic, they concluded that it was not switched and the confusion was just that most of the pictures of Titanic we see are in fact pics of the Olympic as Titanic was really only famous after it sunk and was not around long before it sank.

So a bit of a waste of an hour (much like you feel the waste of the last minute)

Bigtallfatbloke

When I was in Hamburg a few years ago I visited a huge Titanic exhibition (much much bigger and better than the subsequent one in London). It was fascinating to see all the artifacts, they had shoes, tickets, clotthes, dolls, cutlery, bedlined, bottles of wine with wine still in them, hats, diaries, yo name it they had it there. However the one exhibit that struck a chord most wasn't even from the titanic. It was a wall of ice covered in handprints on it;s lower level...a plaque invited you to try and find a hand hold and pull yourself up....it is impossible.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Family connection with the Titanic?

My mum thinks that the original film with Kenneth Moore is loads better than the Hollywood crap with that little bloke with the squashed tomato face. I'm inclined to agree with her.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i'd agree. the final scene where a member of the crew holds a little boy who can't find his mum gets me every time.

james cameron's epic does hold closer to the events as known post titanic's discovery in 1985 (apart from the two ficitonal characters).

as the world's finest news source so elegantly put it -
"World's largest metaphor sinks"

from the same news source comes this great story...

New Titanic Film Told From Iceberg's Point Of View

July 17, 2007

LOS ANGELES—Director James Cameron told Variety yesterday of his intentions to write and direct the Academy Award–winning Titanic's companion film, Iceberg, which will be told completely from the infamous chunk of frozen water's point of view.

"Nobody ever talks about the iceberg's side of the tragic saga—how it formed millions of years ago, eventually became a glacier, then calved off the Arctic ice shelf and floated away into the Atlantic Ocean toward its rendezvous with death," said Cameron, adding that the three hour hour film will begin with the evaporation of liquid water, transition to snow falling and freezing, and include the most expensive gradual ice cap formation sequence ever filmed. "It's a nature vs. man struggle on an epic scale. The world needs to hear this story."

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
96th Anniversary - Bah. Just wait for all the hype in 4 years time.......:biggrin:

rprodgers

On an associated thread the attached web site gives details of passenger lists .

http://www.ellisisland.org/

From this website I was able to discover the year my Grt Grt aunt sailed for America. It was 1909 and on the Mauretania and not the Titanic!

I understand that even though Titanic did not arrive at America, there are details of survivors who did reach America .

Paul

Conspiracy theory.......continued.

The number on the propeller in Ballards exploration of the wreck is in fact the build number of the Olympic!

Which proves that it was in fact the Olympic andnot the Titanic that was sunk.....

..or they swapped propellers at some time - which is boring!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Wasn't there one theory that the rivets holding the hull together were sub-standard? Good old British quality in other words.

Top Bottom