Titanium bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
One thing to consider vickster, no matter who you get the frame from, is whether you want to go quick release or through axle.
The "emerging" standard seems to be 142x12mm (that's through axle) although I assume that 135mm QR will be around for ages.
A lot of hubs are convertible but, of course, your frame won't be.

12mm through axle is also becoming popular for the front.

As an early adopter, I'm stuck with QRs. I wish I had through axles, particularly on the front.

Edits in bold to either make it clearer, add context or correct errors ..............

Last edited:
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks. I guess I'll take advice from whoever sells me the frame :smile: simplicity is the main criteria

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Front through axles are either 15mm or 12mm- the former (MTB standard) has been quite common, but 12mm looks to be the road standard. My Litespeed has 15mm but as of the 2016 model they switched to 12mm, for example. Rears are 12mm x 142, at least for the road market.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You've all lost me to be honest!
If you are getting a fully made up bike, wheels and all then it matters not. If you are getting just a frame and will be using your current wheels then yes you will need to make sure you have the correct dropouts for your wheels.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
If you are getting a fully made up bike, wheels and all then it matters not. If you are getting just a frame and will be using your current wheels then yes you will need to make sure you have the correct dropouts for your wheels.
Not sure yet, but they'll be new wheels I'm sure

Rustybucket

Veteran
I'm off to Enigma tomorrow to have a look at their range and hopefully try a bike or two out. Good comms with them so far by email :smile:

How did it go?

How did it go?
I came along for a sussex adventure. It was a very pleasant afternoon. I am starting to think I know how this will work out ;)

When she went for a test ride, she kicked it up a notch and rode much faster than she had all day. Probably a placebo effect, but you could tell she was loving it.

(Aside: a had a badly frayed gear cable. The the bike builder who walked past my beat up and dirty alu bike could not resist trimming it and adding a cap to it. Lovely folks.)

Rustybucket

Veteran
I came along for a sussex adventure. It was a very pleasant afternoon. I am starting to think I know how this will work out ;)

When she went for a test ride, she kicked it up a notch and rode much faster than she had all day. Probably a placebo effect, but you could tell she was loving it.

(Aside: a had a badly frayed gear cable. The the bike builder who walked past my beat up and dirty alu bike could not resist trimming it and adding a cap to it. Lovely folks.)

Which bike shop did you visit?

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Which bike shop did you visit?
Enigma workshop in Hailsham. Not the easiest place to get to by public transport, but we had a lovely ride from Lewes, along some extremely quiet lanes :smile: and then got a bit lost riding back to the much closer Polegate :blush:

It's probably the only place where you can see the whole range of bikes, different finishes etc

As @jefmcg says, I had a decent test ride of one bike after the sales manager had spent a good while setting it up for me. It was a non disc bike but the same geometry as the one I'm considering (Etape disc). Lovely to ride, no jarring to speak of over the rubbish surfaces of the industrial estate, very different feel to other materials, springy!! I'm no racer but easy to get it moving well.

Will likely go for it, need to decide on spec, especially the groupset. I was erring towards mechanical discs, but was being convinced to go hydraulic. I'm struggling with the size and ugliness of the hoods and whether they'll be comfortable for me to brake during a whole day of riding. I got a little try of a disc braked bike...until the rear wheel punctured with a pop and a hiss...wasn't me, honest guvnor!

The choice of spec and finish is endless so I need some pondering time. I'll need to go back at some point to discuss further and decide.

Very helpful chaps, and some very beautiful machines

Last edited:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
The choice of spec and finish is endless so I need some pondering time. I'll need to go back at some point to discuss further and decide.

Very helpful chaps, and some very beautiful machines

Have you made your decision yet @vickster ? I've just been looking at their site again & the Etape Disc has gone up again :sad: Now from £3799 for a complete bike, I reckon by the time I'm looking to buy next year it will be over 4 grand & probably too rich for me :cry: Although it now comes with Ultegra hydraulic, wonder if I can downgrade to 105 :blush:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you made your decision yet @vickster ? I've just been looking at their site again & the Etape Disc has gone up again :sad: Now from £3799 for a complete bike, I reckon by the time I'm looking to buy next year it will be over 4 grand & probably too rich for me :cry: Although it now comes with Ultegra hydraulic, wonder if I can downgrade to 105 :blush:
That's the price for the Ultegra hydraulic option with £700 wheels though as you say. I'd have a cheaper spec (SRAM, mechanical brakes, cheaper handbuilt wheels)

No decision made yet

Top Bottom