Titanium frame. Moving bike parts across

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have that frame. It's probably one of the best purchases I have ever made. It's such a lovely frame and a gorgeous ride. 2 and a half years and over 8200 miles later it still feels like a brand new bike every time I take it out for a ride.

You shouldn't have any problems swapping the parts over. This bike currently runs Ultegra groupset.

full?d=1423133556.jpg

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Only thing I can think of to add is that it'll be worth getting some anti-galling paste for things like bottom brackets and headsets, otherwise they can seize if left alone for a while. I've been through a couple of bottom brackets on my Litespeed and, even with a coating of paste, I've seen some corrosion (Titanium Oxide I think, like the stuff they use in white paint).

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/finish-line-anti-seize-grease/rp-prod29157

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
For the bottom bracket, it was fitted by Van Nick using PTFE tape. When i changed the BB I used the same and have had no problems.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I really like the Van Nicholas Aquilo model & wondered, some Van Nich bikes are shown with an Easton fork & some with their in house VNT fork, is the Easton fork an option ?

@ianrauk can you shed any light ?

When I bought my VN you had a choice of forks.

Edit: Just checked on the VN site and there are still different options for forks.

OP
OP
afl2

afl2

Über Member
I have that frame. It's probably one of the best purchases I have ever made. It's such a lovely frame and a gorgeous ride. 2 and a half years and over 8200 miles later it still feels like a brand new bike every time I take it out for a ride.

You shouldn't have any problems swapping the parts over. This bike currently runs Ultegra groupset.

full?d=1423133556.jpg
THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK LOOKS LOVELY

OP
OP
afl2

afl2

Über Member
Only thing I can think of to add is that it'll be worth getting some anti-galling paste for things like bottom brackets and headsets, otherwise they can seize if left alone for a while. I've been through a couple of bottom brackets on my Litespeed and, even with a coating of paste, I've seen some corrosion (Titanium Oxide I think, like the stuff they use in white paint).

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/finish-line-anti-seize-grease/rp-prod29157
Thanks for the advice. Something I would never have thought of.

OP
OP
afl2

afl2

Über Member

Edit: Just checked on the VN site and there are still different options for forks.
The website says free forks and headset so they would be in house.
Still looks a good deal at the moment.

Venod

Eh up
That's a good deal grab it, I bought a VN Chinook frame from Fat Birds last year, I asked what fork it came with and I think they said Colombus which had an alloy steerer tube, I opted to pay the extra for a full Carbon VN fork, I used some anti seize paste on the btm bracket, only problems I can see moving parts are if the tube set is a different dia will the FD & seat post fit,

DSC_0008.JPG

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member

full?d=1423133556.jpg

Ian, I've looked at your bike dozens of times and I still love it :smile:

Mine is the Europe and just as lovely to ride although I haven't covered the mileage you have.

I'm building her new wheels shortly and I had decided on the grey H Plus son Archetype rims to go with the silver Dura Ace 7900 hubs I bought for them but after looking at your bike I'm having second thoughts again :laugh: maybe I should go with silver but the Archetype in silver aren't like your rims so I'm hesitant. My wife persuaded me not to remove the Van Nicholas logo but I think I'm going to do it, your bike looks much better without the logo. Does the acetone leave any signs of a logo ever being there?

SteCenturion

I am your Father

Thanks.

Next year i will have a choice to make VN Aquilo f&f & build up slowly or another carbon job probably the Scott Addict 15.

I think the Aquilo with Chris King hardware would be fantastic.

Top Bottom