Titanium or Carbon for new road bike ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

P.H

Über Member
Van Nick said:
Titanium sounds great, but somehow they just look a little bit boring.

There's no reason they can't be painted the same as steel frames. I've seen an Italian frame that was painted but had bare Titanium on the parts likley to get the most wear, much like the way bits used to be chromed.

OP
OP
Van Nick

Van Nick

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far. At the moment, an Enigma Eclipse is looking attractive.

Van Nick said:
Titanium sounds great, but somehow they just look a little bit boring.

Not always!

2260767572_42a82c2109_b.jpg

walker

Disgruntled Goat said:
I must admit, it is the first time I have heard anyone claim that carbon is more comfortable than titanium.

its why bikes are fitted with carbon forks as the forks take away the shock that is passed to your hands

That doesn't really prove that carbon is more plush than ti. It proves that they make forks out of carbon. Carbon's claim to fame is it's lightness, not it's comfort.

I believe that very few forks are made of ti due to manipulation issues, but don't quote me on that.

wafflycat said:
Carbon folks do make a noticeable difference to hand/arm comfort on a long ride. My ideal audax/tourer would be titanium with carbon forks.

A noticable difference in comfort over what, wafflesome one?

Aluminium? Fo'sure
Steel? Not so sure

walker

Disgruntled Goat said:
That doesn't really prove that carbon is more plush than ti. It proves that they make forks out of carbon. Carbon's claim to fame is it's lightness, not it's comfort.

I believe that very few forks are made of ti due to manipulation issues, but don't quote me on that.

I never said carbon was more plush, I'm claiming its more comfortable.

you are hard done by to find a set of titanium forks but will find hundreds of carbon forks. Carbon is not much lighter than Ti, if at all. Titanium is alot stiffer than Carbon is although Certain processes in Carbon are making it stiffer all the time but whether it will be make to challenge the stifness of Carbon is yet to be seen.

Any way before this argument escalates - Nick, try as many bikes as you can and make your own decision - don't listen to us or the magazines.

Personally I was disappointed with the carbon bikes I tried and haven't bought into this 'laterally stiff yet vertically compliant' claim. But that's just me.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Hi

Carbon fibre will conduct the shocks more along the line of the fibre - forks I believe are made with a composite weave orientated so that the direction of the weave is at 45 degrees to the vertical - thus the shocks are conducted between the fibres and not long them to the user. Hope this makes sense!

Personally I want a Ti bike one day.......

Top Bottom