Titanium or Carbon for new road bike ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toontra

Veteran
Having just bought a ti bike (with carbon forks!) I have to chip in and say it's very comfortable - more-so than the few carbon frames I've tried.

As for looks, it's a trade-off for me. Personally one of the attractions of ti is that it doesn't corrode. That being the case, why would I want a paint job that I would only worry about getting scratched/chipped? I don't mind the raw ti look anyway - I think it's quite anonymous, but in a good way!

Blue

Legendary Member
I have 2 bikes from the same manufacturer. The bikes have similar semi-compact frame geometry but one is Alu with carbon forks and seatpost and the other is full carbon. Whilst there is some improvement in comfort in the full carbon it isn't massive. The difference is seen when climbing hills or pushing hard on the flat - the full carbon goes like sh;t off a shovel compared to the other bike.

I have to say that I have been considering a 'comfort' bike for longer summer rides and, if I ever have the cash, I will be going for Ti with carbon forks in a bike with a different geometry.

pieinthesky

Any frame material can be used to make a comfortable bike or an uncomfortable bike. It is all down to how the frame is designed rather than the material from which it is made.

It also depends on the fork, wheels, tyres, tyre pressures, saddle, seatpost, handlebars, bar tape, saddle, rider weight etc etc etc.

That is why this subject comes up, again and again, there is no definate answer to which material gives the best ride.

Ignore the comments (except this one of course :smile:) Try out a few bikes you fancy and descide for yourself.

OP
OP
Van Nick

Van Nick

Thanks to everyone who has so far contributed to what has become a fascinating thread. I value everyone's "real world" comments far more than any magazine review.

Based on your comments, I'm leaning towards Ti and possibly an Enigma Eclipse.

Anyone know if any of the pro (TdF) riders currently ride Ti bikes ?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I would have a real good look at a bike you want, built for what you want it for.

It could be made out of bamboo for what its worth, as long as it was built for what you want to use it for.

Blue

Legendary Member
Steve Austin said:
It could be made out of bamboo for what its worth, as long as it was built for what you want to use it for.

That reads to me like you are suggesting that as long as a manufacturer says a bike is for 'ABC' then that is the end of the debate, provided you like the look of the bike.

I couldn't agree with that.

Two bikes built to the same geometry and built for the same purpose, but built with different materials will not be the same. Different materials have different properties.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Not quite what i was getting at Blue. The thread seems to have turned into one of which material is 'better' for me?

A cheap old ti fame has no comparison with a modern full carbon frame. and i reckon a Ghisallo will have little in common with a carbon scr.
If you want a race frame, buy one that is built for racing, irrespective of material.

The ti sportive from Lynskey On-one will not be built for racing but it will be a lovely bike for riding.

Folk get very caught up Frame material when it is only a very small part of a bike. IMO Geometry has a greater effect than any material. Tyre pressure has more of an effect than Frame Material ime

I don't think any pro teams now use Ti - they all ride carbon - I expect for the stiffness. They're less cocnerned with comfort.

Zulle used to ride a Vortex (rebadged with Peugeot sticker) in the days before carbon was widespread. And Litespeed sponsored the Lotto team for a couple of seasons back in 2002 ish I think.

Just thought the UK Sunday cycles team ride Ti...............and Merlin have just finished sponsoring a team in the UK.

Apart from that I can't think of any more.

Steve Austin said:
The ti sportive from Lynskey On-one will not be built for racing but it will be a lovely bike for riding.

What's the crack with Lynskey/On-One? Why go through On-One when you can get a custom Lynskey Ti from Lynskey's UK Distributor (Bikelab) for £300 less?

MichaelM

Guru
Disgruntled Goat said:
What's the crack with Lynskey/On-One? Why go through On-One when you can get a custom Lynskey Ti from Lynskey's UK Distributor (Bikelab) for £300 less?

Really? How do you know that when the Planet-X price hasn't been confirmed? (And the Ti 456 goes for £1000).

MichaelM said:
Really? How do you know that when the Planet-X price hasn't been confirmed? (And the Ti 456 goes for £1000).

I was referring to this news story:

http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/?p=721#more-721

We’re going to be offering both Lynskey and on-one custom models. Pricing starts at £1999 for a double/triple butted model, made to measure, just for you.

Compared to Bikelab's Prices:
http://www.bikelab.co.uk/index.html?action=sitenews&subAct=detail&arg1=35

Level One Custom: £1600

Now as for the On-one sportive - I have only just come across it after reading your post. It looks like an On-One branded Lynskey. I will follow the developments with interest.

MichaelM

Guru
I get the impression from the Bikelab site (correct me if I'm wrong) that the prices are for the frame.

On One 456 for £1000.

Maybe we're comparing apples with oranges here, but the Lynsky site suggests a £1000 price for the Sportive frame (not confirmed yet). i think that's for an off the peg standard size frame.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
The Sportive will not be 1999....

To quote the Planet X site
"...Confirmed prices aren't available just yet, but they're Planet-X so let's just say prices are set to blow the Ti market wide open..."

clcik me

Top Bottom