To all the cyclists who cycle through St.Ives (Cambs) out there...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok this isn't for everyone but I see there are a fair few cyclists on here who do cycle in and around St.Ives.
There local council want cyclists in the area to comment on the current situation and any ideas for future improvements.

I thought it sounded like a positive step to be asked, rather than ending up with unusable cycle routes and whining afterwards.
I hope the more local cyclists that add their opinion the more user friendly the future improvements will be.

http://www.stivestownplan.org.uk/

Calling all Cyclist - Your help is needed.

St Ives already has a good cycle network, but the Town Plan team want to make it better, and we need your help.
We need to know your views on the existing cycle routes, cycle racks, safety and where improvements can be made.
If you cycle in St Ives please complete the survey and make your views known.
http://www.stivestownplan.org.uk/cycle-survey-summer-2012

That's not a survey, it's a series of demographic details!

I was dragged brought up in St Ives and have fond memories of cycling around there, especially Houghton Mill, the Ramsey Road to the back of RAF Wyton, the Hemingfords and Huntingdon.

MInd you the town was afraction of the size it is now.

Crankarm

Guru
St Ives (Cambs) is a sh1t hole. "Good Cycle Network" !. My ar$e. LoL. I need a new key board I just spat my bran flakes and milk all over my computer reading this.

You take your life in your hands cycling around the place. The roads are awful, riddled with holes, craters that they rival cities destroyed by heavy artillery Beiruit, Sarajevo, Homs and the drivers are aggressive homicidal maniacs. I hate driving through it let alone cycling around it. It's only claim to fame for cycling facilites is that it is the start of the Gudied Busway to Cambridge, the rest is pretty poor. Zero out of ten.

400bhp

Guru
"St Ives already has a good cycle network, but the Town Plan team want to make it better, and we need your help."

That's enough to strike fear into the heart of any cyclist. I hope to God they don't get Sustrans involved....

Why?

MisterStan

Label Required
St Ives (Cambs) is a sh1t hole. "Good Cycle Network" !. My ar$e. LoL. I need a new key board I just spat my bran flakes and milk all over my computer reading this.

You take your life in your hands cycling around the place. The roads are awful, riddled with holes, craters that they rival cities destroyed by heavy artillery Beiruit, Sarajevo, Homs and the drivers are aggressive homicidal maniacs. I hate driving through it let alone cycling around it. It's only claim to fame for cycling facilites is that it is the start of the Gudied Busway to Cambridge, the rest is pretty poor. Zero out of ten.
Those of us who live there don't think it's a sh1t hole thanks. Furthermore i don't think there are any more homicidal maniacs in St Ives than anywhere else. You are right about the state of most of the roads though.

Crankarm

Guru
Those of us who live there don't think it's a sh1t hole thanks. Furthermore i don't think there are any more homicidal maniacs in St Ives than anywhere else. You are right about the state of most of the roads though.

Oh it is. It really is. What has it got? A tiny old town and a really old bridge that is nothing special although all the inhabitants think it is. The rest is one big characterless housing estate full of chavs.

MisterStan

Label Required
Oh it is. It really is. What has it got? A tiny old town and a really old bridge that is nothing special although all the inhabitants think it is. The rest is one big characterless housing estate full of chavs.
Well you are entitled to your opinion I suppose, i'll just ignore it like i do most of your posts.

OP
OP
semislickstick

Right oh Cranky. Anyway, instead of saying it here where it won't change anything, can you add your cycling experience to the survey to try and improve that for the rest of us cycling chavs. Innit.:B):girldance::crazy::music: Thank you. ;)

OP
OP
semislickstick
" I hope to God they don't get Sustrans involved....

I seem to remember a bit of hoo-har with the County council and Sustrans, I think both wanted to take credit for the improvements on a route ( NCN 51) between Godmanchester and Hemingford, it was a muddy track over a cow field, it's now tarmacked and used a lot more.
Without Sustrtans the Guided Bus Way cycle track would have remained loose pack gravel/limestone, they apparently paid for the 'upgrade' to lovely smooth tarmac, which makes a hell of a difference to the journey time and effort needed. I tried both.

snorri

Legendary Member
:rofl:

Whilst I have nothing against the Sustrans Rangers, who are grand chaps and chapesses doing an excellent job, the reality is that most Sustrans routes are awful.
I can only speak from experience in my own locality where the LA, and Transport Scotland ignore their own guidelines, work to abysmally low standards on the NCN, and are deaf to complaints from all facility users including Sustrans.
I am neither a Sustrans chap or chapess.

Wow a thread about where I live !

I have lived in some places in England, I would not call st Ives a shoot hole, boring yes, shoot nope, but we all are entitled to our opinion and we choose where we want to live.:smile:
Anyway moving on...
Thanks to Sustrans, they paid up for the final stretch of the GBW to be tarmacked as well, so I can't thank them enough for that, having 80% of my journey everyday on beautiful traffic free, smooth tarmac is a god send and for that they need to be applauded.

Anyway, thanks for posting bout the survey, both me and the wife cycle in St Ives so it will be great to put our opinions across. There are some issues that need to be resolved for cyclists and its nice that they event want opinions. Most places usually do what they want, and never ask !

Top Bottom