to Bkool or not to Bkool thats the question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

h1udd

Hello good folks of VR cycling.

My first post and it should be in the introductions I know, but sleepless nights and total confusion are making ask this question before I do anything

I am about to upgrade my turbo trainer for something more fun ..... I need (yes need) a smart trainer for Bkool and Zwift

So narrowed it down to either the Bkool Pro OR Kickr Snap

does anyone have any opinion on which one is better .... Ultimately I will be using the trainer 5am every other morning for an hour, so would like something that is quick to get going ... i.e. I dont want to be spending 30 mins trying to get ANT to talk or diagnosing connection issues.

Everytime I decide on a unit, I read about issues with it, i.e. Power being out on the Snap and having to do multiple spin downs etc etc. But then I read that the bkool doesnt feel as good because it doesnt have a fly wheel and that the power meter isn't as good as the snap.

As they are both £500 is one particularly better than the other for reliability, feel and ease of use. .... is a fly wheel that much better ?

many thanks

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
The Bkool Pro doesn't have a power meter, it only estimates power from resistance and speed. But it is easy to find below £400 quid, particularly if you are a regular Wiggle shopper and have earned a decent discount.

The KICKR Snap is probably the better the trainer for anything other than bkool.

If you are going to be a big bkool user, particularly if you are going to join any multi-user sessions, you are almost certainly going to be better off with the bkool pro, as other trainer users inevitably end up at a disadvantage (or a ridiculous advantage if the trainer's max resistance is low, not a problem on the KICKR Snap).

I have an original KICKR and previously had a bkool pro. The KICKR is much better (and much more expensive) in every regard, apart from the fact that it is harder to compete in bkool sessions, as it has much higher resistance and is often disadvantaged by the simulation algorithms used by bkool. As most bkool users have bkool trainers, you have to work harder to compete!

Cheers,

Geoff

OP
OP
H

h1udd

Thanks for the quick reply ... Looking like I might be favouring the snap then ... The social and multiplayer I would probably stick to Zwift as I like the idea of just dropping in and cycling with the odd play .... But couldn't pass up all the courses and climbs on bkool.

Again .. Thanks for the advice

Mr. P

Regular
For what it's worth, I have the Bkool Pro and use it for both Bkool & Zwift with no issues....other than the occasional freezing on Zwift. But that's the software rather than the trainer. The resistance when climbing is more realistic on Bkool, but you can alter the difficulty manually on the settings for Zwift.

Venod

Eh up
Can't help you with choice of trainer as I have a Tacx Neo, I havn't competed in any of the sessions on hear yet so don't know how its resistance compares, but the uphill courses I have done (and also done for real) feel harder with the trainer and my times are slower over the same segments on Strava, whether this is due to being in an indoor environment I don't know, but it gives a good workout with added interest, I have tried Zwift but I am more impressed with the courses on Bkool.

I will eventually take part in a CycleChat Bkool session, but it might be winter before I do so, can't face the garage when I can get out on the road.

Whatever you get I am sure you will be impressed with smart opetation of the trainer.

OP
OP
H

h1udd

Thanks for the input guys ... In the end I tried a couple and preferred the feel of a turbo with a fly wheel ... Just felt more like a bike on the road than a resistance on the back wheel .. So went with the kickr snap, it works a treat and no issues with Zwift .... However I would like a few more fast sprints and short courses to lap on, do I'll be trying bkool imminently

gaz0303

Regular
I just pulled the trigger on a bkool pro purchase. For $730aud + 12 months subscription, I couldn't go past the value. Haven't been able to test ride due to local shops being pretty poor but reading the race talk on this site helped. Hopefully Ill be in a group and league by end of week.

Paully

Thanks for the input guys ... In the end I tried a couple and preferred the feel of a turbo with a fly wheel ... Just felt more like a bike on the road than a resistance on the back wheel .. So went with the kickr snap, it works a treat and no issues with Zwift .... However I would like a few more fast sprints and short courses to lap on, do I'll be trying bkool imminently
Hi. I'm interested in how your Kickr Snap is working out with Bkool. I'm trying to make the same decision. Thanks.

AlanW

Guru
Slightly off topic I know, but as a avid Zwift user, I just cannot warm to Bkool at all? Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but downloaded the trial version and at the risk of upsetting hardened Bkool users, I thought it was rubbish, sorry.

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
Slightly off topic I know, but as a avid Zwift user, I just cannot warm to Bkool at all? Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but downloaded the trial version and at the risk of upsetting hardened Bkool users, I thought it was rubbish, sorry.

What did you try in bkool? If you don't have a premium account you can't ride in 3D, join in with others or ride with a video. Without these things, it is very limited indeed!

If you ride a route you know, or have wanted to ride, like Alpe D'Huez or Mont Ventoux, with the video, or tried riding against others in a 3D environment, especially if you know the others from this forum (or in real life) it is absolutely fantastic! The ability to upload your own routes, and then ride them in 3D (when/if bkool have converted them) or upload a video, so you can train indoors on familiar terrain is really nice.

The ability to setup leagues and train together with friends, local or like minded riders over a wide selection of courses is the real unique selling proposition.

I tried Zwift, but it was just a single circuit at the time, a load of riders I didn't know and far too "computer game" for me... back to bkool with thousands of routes in 3D and video, riding against/with other riders I've got to know on this forum, or riding classic alpine climbs, etc. really made the experience very positive. More like an outdoor ride indoor than a game. Worth putting up with the bkool bugs, in my opinion...

Last edited:

AlanW

Guru
It is the very basic free 30 day trial that I have, which as you say it very limited in route choices. It did include a velodrome session, which was truly awful if I'm honest. I presume then that I have to pay for the premium account then and there is no way to try this package without paying in advance first?

But I want to like it and I can certainly understand the advantages, and after all enough people use it and rave about it. Perhaps I need to spend more time trying to get my head around it, but IMHO its not as user friendly as Zwift. Failing that, I'll see if I can find a five year old to help me set it up........:scratch:

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
If you've only tried the non-premium features, then it will be completely underwhelming. No 3D, no Video, no multi-user rides, not really any point in offering that as a trial, it's unlikely to convert anyone.

They do seem to offer premium trials from time to time, but I'm not sure how you get one.

If you go here http://www.bkool.com/en-GB/try-free-simulator you get 5 sessions during 30 days (I presume that's full premium access) or you can sign up for 30 days without limitations and cancel you subscription "with no additional cost".

Join the Cyclechat Chain Gang if you want to try it at it's best, and give some of the guys on here a bit of competition. A range of abilities from just starting to get fit to OMG...

Edit: If you need some help getting to griips with it, the cyclechat Bkool FAQ is still pretty much up to date...

Bkool FAQ

AlanW

Guru
Right, thanks for the link, I will endeavour to explore Bkool in greater detail later on this evening/tomorrow. I've already joined the Cyclechat Chain Gang as a member when I was looking at getting a Bkool trainer earlier on in the year. But certain things didn't quite go according to plan I didn't go ahead with the purchase. However, I am running a Tacx Neo, and what a piece of kit that is!!

Top Bottom