To everyone that's ever had a close pass .... enjoy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Is it just the camera angle or did the driver put his headlights on prior to the overtake, if so it was clearly a conscious effort to warn the oncoming driver to move over?

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Crossing the white line and into oncoming traffic is what they pulled him for, the pass was perhaps unwelcome (but not surprising, nor that close)

Yrs, the driver is probably thinking "if only I'd passed closer to the cyclist, I wouldn't have had to cross the solid white, and wouldn't have got a ticket".

Origamist

Legendary Member
I commented on the road.cc article also. But did the policeman really say "though he was a goner" to the cyclist? To me it's pretty obvious the reason for pulling him was the solid white line and oncoming traffic overtake.
Guess we just have to trust that :rolleyes:

The overtake forced the oncoming Audi driver to take evasive action - you can see he moves closer to the nearside of the lane. If he hadn't changed course, there would have been far greater likelihood of a collision. At the time, the police officer could have reasonably thought the cyclist was in serious peril.

Watching the clip again, the driver is clearly at the lower end of the driving spectrum. Overtaking on a unbroken white central line, in the face of oncoming traffic, flashing his beams in an "I'm coming through, move over' kind of way, passing the cyclist closer than was necessary, with no rearward observation ("hiya, it's the police behind you") and overtaking at speed on the approach to an area where your likely to encounter tractors turning.

D

Deleted member 26715

A close pass is a matter of opinion so is arguable. Crossing the white line is a matter of fact and unarguable.
You are allowed to cross the white line, but not in this instance

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
A close pass is a matter of opinion so is arguable. Crossing the white line is a matter of fact and unarguable.

The crossing of the white line is only unarguable if the speed of the cyclist has been established as 10mph or less.

The cyclist states, “the driver was receiving an on the spot ticket for careless driving”, after speaking to the officer who issued it. Since an FPN for crossing a solid white line is a separate offence and has its own penalty code, I suspect it was for the close pass and/or causing the oncoming driver to take avoiding action while putting the cyclist in jeopardy.

Either way, the driver got what he deserved.

Mr Celine

Discordian
The crossing of the white line is only unarguable if the speed of the cyclist has been established as 10mph or less.

The cyclist states, “the driver was receiving an on the spot ticket for careless driving”, after speaking to the officer who issued it. Since an FPN for crossing a solid white line is a separate offence and has its own penalty code, I suspect it was for the close pass and/or causing the oncoming driver to take avoiding action while putting the cyclist in jeopardy.

Either way, the driver got what he deserved.
Crossing the white line is unarguable if the speed is 10mph or more. But you're probably right about the careless driving as the polis would probably have to watch the video first to get clear evidence that the cyclist was exceeding 10mph.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Crossing the white line is unarguable if the speed is 10mph or more. But you're probably right about the careless driving as the polis would probably have to watch the video first to get clear evidence that the cyclist was exceeding 10mph.
IME the evidence would be the speed of the police car, which would determine the approximate speed of the cyclist.
Leaving to one side the close pass, I understand that where an offence such as this, which has speed as one of its components, only a calibrated speed recording device can be used. Either the police car would have a separate device, or their car's speedometer would be calibrated. This is based upon feedback from Cheshire Police.
There is a road on my commute where, on the sections of unbroken white line, if there is/are a car/s behind me, 90% of the time the driver will overtake. Cheshire Police will only prosecute on video evidence where there has also been a close pass.

Wookee

You wouldn't need the calibrated speedo as such, it was a close pass on the cyclist and causing the oncoming vehicle to alter it's path as well as the solid white line is a without due care all day long. In England they would have been offered a course if a first offence. Even with a calibrated speedo they would still have to have the speed verified by a trained officer with a speed gun. WDC makes the most sense.

Top Bottom