To lycra or not to lycra

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Makes sense @mikeymustard. Your previous sartorial style wasn't very practical for cycling.

a6e3d5bb9b2385df314d8f94ec9fdb02.jpg

sheddy

Legendary Member
more ideas here http://www.tweedrun.com

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Don't you realise padded shorts are just a gateway clothing?
For many years I resisted the urge to dress like a 1980s extra from "Fame", but this year I've started cycling much further than previously. It started with a pair of padded shorts (worn under "real" shorts), then a jersey or two, then bibshorts (btw don't bother with ordinary padded shorts if your middle is more "sagging" than Sagan - geddit? - bibs can't bunch up round my Pooh-like paunch), and now I have accepted the MAMIL!
Even if I'm just pootling around I might put the bibs on under a tshirt (cos cargo shorts are extremely uncomfortable), but then I have nowhere to put phone/money etc. so need to add a pair of shorts with pockets.
Riding out for a coffee with my partner and no.1 son yesterday, I was struck by how comfy this particular tshirt was - a Gildan work shirt with wicking properties - but wished it had pockets. I then realised that since these shirts are available on the bay for only a fiver - and in my size - I could easily add some pockets using my "material engineering" skills (which sounds much more manly than sewing) for a tenner!
Here's me as "Santa in Lycra" :smile: my favourite Fat Lad at the Back jacksey
View attachment 369410
Im about five feet eight and thin as a yard of pump water so clothes tend to hang off me rather than ride up etc. but lm spending far too much time wondering what cycling clothes to wear and l have to face the fact that it was only a pain in the bum that set me off on this byway. As a mate of mine, ex Lieutenant colonel, Royal marines said to me , "it won't hurt when the pain stops" ....can't fault the logic , guess its back to the cut-off jeans^_^

Lee_M

Guru
lycra on the 'proper' road bike, baggies on the MTB, whatever I like on the single speed.

'orses for courses. I can't begin to imagine the chafing I'd get on a 50 mile ride in ordinary clothing

Makes sense @mikeymustard. Your previous sartorial style wasn't very practical for cycling.
Have you been stalking my Facebook page again @Drago ?
Looks like I'm about to burst into a chorus of 'Oh what a beautiful morning' (which weirdly I have been singing ever since we caught the proms version of Oklahoma a coupla weeks ago). When I asked the hairdresser for 'aging rock star' I was hoping more for robert plant than howard keel!
'orses for courses. I can't begin to imagine the chafing I'd get on a 50 mile ride in ordinary clothing
quite!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I guess the fact that l had a bottle of Grolsch in my bottle cage looked like l wasn't serious^_^
Try swapping it for a bottle of Leffe and see whether it gives you added authenticity.

I'd avoid wool, personally, for fear of them getting wet and heavy in a rainstorm and then drying very slowly. The Decathlon MTB undies look pretty good to me as you can wear what you like over them.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Don't you realise padded shorts are just a gateway clothing?
For many years I resisted the urge to dress like a 1980s extra from "Fame", but this year I've started cycling much further than previously.
It was when I restarted cycling further that the lycra irritation reached epic proportions, so that doesn't necessarily follow.

A very English, not to say urban look and nothing wrong with that except that the French already call me a crazy englishman with his very crazy dog (English pointer) that bit l agree with. I had better not add to their already misguided view of the pooch and l:whistle:
Get a Brompton. David Millar claims the French find them hilarious but it might just be his clothing ;)

I can't begin to imagine the chafing I'd get on a 50 mile ride in ordinary clothing
Well, not all ordinary is equal, of course. I don't much like sitting on seams even when at my desk, so I've been wearing seamless/flatter-seam stuff for as long as I've known about it and I've quite happily done 100 mile rides in it and 6 days of back-to-back 50ish.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Try swapping it for a bottle of Leffe and see whether it gives you added authenticity.
Does that fit as well? https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/beer.222784/

Lee_M

Guru
It was when I restarted cycling further that the lycra irritation reached epic proportions, so that doesn't necessarily follow.

Get a Brompton. David Millar claims the French find them hilarious but it might just be his clothing ;)

Well, not all ordinary is equal, of course. I don't much like sitting on seams even when at my desk, so I've been wearing seamless/flatter-seam stuff for as long as I've known about it and I've quite happily done 100 mile rides in it and 6 days of back-to-back 50ish.

I'd be dripping in sweat inside a mile

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Have a look at Tudor Sports for classic cycling kit - jerseys, plusses, tights. Timeless kit. If you really want real wool shorts they are available too, but a bit harder to find, and lycra or a lycra mix is so much more practical. Plenty of supplier of vintage style jerseys too, Prendas for example. I've got an early 90's steel Peugeot, and I wear the same kit - modern 'lycra' and club jerseys that I wear on my other bikes - except for shoes. I have a pair of pierced leather cycling shoes I wear with the clips and straps on the Peugeot (and usually white socks with them too) :okay:
I just noticed your shoes reference, do you have any info on where to get pierced leather cycling shoes for a reasonable price ? All the ones lve come across cost more than what l usually pay for a bike:rolleyes:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I just noticed your shoes reference, do you have any info on where to get pierced leather cycling shoes for a reasonable price ? All the ones lve come across cost more than what l usually pay for a bike:rolleyes:
Not really - they all seem to be £100 plus new. However I'm tempted by the Vittoria ones. Mine date from around the time I bought the bike, around 1992, and are Diadora. Interestingly they have a ridged area of sole - designed to engage with the edge of the pedal cage I assume. The shoes I used in the 60s all had smooth soles, and cleats were nailed on. Laced 'retro' design shoes are coming back into fashion, so there may be some more affordable ones soon. I've noticed some big brand (unpierced) ones for sale that are very 60s/70s looking.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Not really - they all seem to be £100 plus new. However I'm tempted by the Vittoria ones. Mine date from around the time I bought the bike, around 1992, and are Diadora. Interestingly they have a ridged area of sole - designed to engage with the edge of the pedal cage I assume. The shoes I used in the 60s all had smooth soles, and cleats were nailed on. Laced 'retro' design shoes are coming back into fashion, so there may be some more affordable ones soon. I've noticed some big brand (unpierced) ones for sale that are very 60s/70s looking.
Yes they look ok and not such a crazy price, thanks for the link .

wonderdog

Yay Mikey! A couple of Chrissmusses back my beloved gave me a copy of "The Manly Art of Knitting", the cover featuring an American cowchaser in the saddle, a ball of wool on the saddle horn and needles at the high port. Being fairly left-handed, I'm still trying to figure it out.
The Trek brand appears to have taken over in Canberra and the majority of riders wooden have a clue about my old Viscount or Carlton.

Top Bottom