To make a fridge colder do you turn it up or down? (Daft pub closing type type questions.)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
We appear to be an intelligent bunch, so I reckon we can find definitive answers to the daft sort of questions that seem to surface at pub closing time. So let's get started:

When you want the fridge to be colder do you turn it up or down?

Option 1 - UP
If you turn the dial inside the fridge to a higher number then you are making the fridge work harder to reduce the temperature, therefore you are turning the motor / coolant system up.

Option 2 - DOWN
If you turn the dial inside the fridge to a higher number your aim is to reduce the temperature inside the fridge, so you are turning it down.

2762761296_96487d47bc_z.jpg
Phill was NOT here by Andrew Culture, on Flickr

Reactions: Maz

Arch

Married to Night Train
Oh, you're a brave man. This is the sort of question that starts wars....

I think, off hand, I would say "Turn the fridge up". But I'm not sure I wouldn't say down.

Does that help?

green1

Über Member
Up as your making the fridge/freezer increase the temp differential (much like if it were a gear ratio). ;)

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
To get to the correct answer you have to agree to one set of criteria.......

Choose: the temperature of the inside of the fridge or the work done by the motor or the temperature difference between the inside of the fridge and ambient

Once you have agreed on the criteria the answer will be sorted

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
The easiest answer is to not adjust your fridge temperature. :thumbsup:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
If the opportunity to hitch-hike around Ireland with a fridge ever presented itself, I would have to turn it down.

On the piano the higher notes are on the right not higher.

However, if you practice scales for too long the neighbours will ask you to turn it down.

If you move up the neck on a double bass or cello your hand descends.

On a bike I use a lower gear to get higher.

I have to confess I always qualify my statement when it comes to the fridge.

"Can you turn the temperature down?" acts as the qualifier, but I have the advantage (?) of being married to a man and know I have to qualify what I am saying in order to obtain the result I am after (OK - this does make the assumption that a physicist knows that changing the dial from 4 to 5 will make the fridge colder but I have draw the line somewhere in the ice...)

When it is the other way around, I am left to guess what the actual problem is by observation of the fridge... dripping with water & not very cold/ice on the back & everything frozen and take whatever I deem to be the correct solution...
Of course I will never be in that situation because he is not that observant and will never had actually mentioned it in the first place....:biggrin:

Top Bottom