To much anaesthetic at the dentist today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi again.
Today I had a visit to the dentist for a couple of fillings in my tombstones for teeth.
Two needles went in to numb what resembles a row of bombed out houses that I call my teeth, and immediately noticed how quickly the numbing took hold. In all the years of visiting the dentist I've never experienced local anaesthetic as potent is this. He did all his work and I could not feel thing. He could of pulled my jaw off and I wouldn't of felt a thing. For me that was great as I don't particularly enjoy the delights of the drill and discomfort of it all. After he had finished, I could still feel the anaesthetic taking a stronger grip on me.
No word of a lie, it got that intense it came to the stage I couldn't talk. The left hand side of my jaw was completely numb as well as my lips and cheek bone. I could barely talk ,and looked like Elvis with my top lip curling up involuntarily in the corner. Most nights I usually get home without talking to a soul , but sods law everybody tonight wanted to stop and have a chat. I got some right funny looks off them as I tried to explain I've just been to the dentist and the local anaesthetic was working overtime. A cup of tea at home just resulting to dribbling out of mouth as I couldn't control my lips :-) :-).Its all eased off now and feeling back to normal thank god. £35 in total and a nice set of nashers again to enjoy my steak with :-)
I would say this was a tongue in cheek post, but the way my mouth felt today it really was .
Have yourselves a good night.
Johnny

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I rather concurr. Back in the day you used to wait 20 mins, then come back in for the drilly bit. Didn't hurt and a little after you got home/ back to work you were 90% back to normal. These days, quick jab and get the drill out and you are biting your cheek and dribling tea down your shirt, and generally feeling groggy for the rest of the day. Can't quite see the recreational appeal of cocaine if the jabs you get at the dentist are anythi g to go by. A bit of a lower dose and 10 mins wait would be better surely

And on another note, in the olden days having had screaming toothache from.an abscess, the old fashioned dentist told me I wouldn't need an injection as the tooth was dead. Implausible to say the least, yet it was true. 2 mins driling and pain instantly stopped. With similar compalint these days they give you a load of penicillin and send you away for a week i agony, before drilling the bloody thing

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I used to work for a guy who reckoned that the prolonged discomfort of the anaesthetic wearing off was so bad that he would prefer a couple of minutes of agony, so went without.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
The last time I needed a couple of fillings, my dentist (Fiona) asked me if I would be OK if she did them without anaesthetic, as she didn't think it was necessary.
That was a new one on me but I said "OK, you know what you're doing"
10 minutes later, job done, didn't feel a thing!
On my recent visit for a checkup I was gutted to find out she's retired.
Best dentist I've ever had, bless her.

I rather concurr. Back in the day you used to wait 20 mins, then come back in for the drilly bit. Didn't hurt and a little after you got home/ back to work you were 90% back to normal. These days, quick jab and get the drill out and you are biting your cheek and dribling tea down your shirt, and generally feeling groggy for the rest of the day. Can't quite see the recreational appeal of cocaine if the jabs you get at the dentist are anythi g to go by. A bit of a lower dose and 10 mins wait would be better surely

And on another note, in the olden days having had screaming toothache from.an abscess, the old fashioned dentist told me I wouldn't need an injection as the tooth was dead. Implausible to say the least, yet it was true. 2 mins driling and pain instantly stopped. With similar compalint these days they give you a load of penicillin and send you away for a week i agony, before drilling the bloody thing
Ours do the jab and wait thing.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I had a filling and an old one drilled out and replaced last year. On neither occasion did I have an anesthetic.

Yer a bunch of jessies.....:whistle:

D

Deleted member 1258

I don't mind the numb feeling at all, anything is better than the gas we had as children, I still have have nightmares about it.

Yes, I remember the dentist when I was a child, fillings done without anesthetic, extractions done with gas to knock you out, that stuff always gave me weird dreams.

Top Bottom