To paint or not to paint?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stephen13

Regular
Hi,

I have a few bikes that need restoring, i have been told that repainting them can decrease the value? is this true?

Also does anyone know where i can get original bike decals from?

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
H Lloyd Cycles in Penrith do the best decals. Google them.

Repainting and restoring can increase the bikes value, it really depends on ow far gone the old stuff is, also I would think the rarity of the cycle would play a part too. It all depends on whether you want to sell the machine or ride a useable bike and enjoy it that way. The latter is far more important to than material worth. A very subjective thing though.

What sort of bikes are we talking about?

There are many good restorers out there who will do a first class job of repainting and repairing classic old frames.

I'd keep the original paintwork unless it is absolutely necessary. Selling restored bikes will usually just get the outlay back (it's not cheap) or lose money unless you know what you are doing.

It is also vital to keep the original tube identification transfers - anyone can buy a 531 sticker and plaster it over a repainted frame.

tyred

Legendary Member
I would agree with Accountantpete. I'd try and make the best of what you have, you can never get that patina of age back, especially true on old roadsters.

OP
OP
Stephen13

Stephen13

Regular
Well after much consideration and 2 local companies quoting me £55 for strip and powder coat and the other £125 for strip and paint I think I will make the best of what I have got and use some rubbing compound/polish etc etc and lots of elbow grease and just renew tyres and cables/bar tape.

Will sell a couple and keep one, I have a Peugeot Elan & Equipe and also a Raleigh Magnum amongst several mountain bikes a tourer and shopper lol

Thanks guys

OP
OP
Stephen13

Stephen13

Regular
Will see what I can do, posted a couple of mine up in the gallery section, need loads of work! :ohmy:

To be honest I can't afford to do much, the only reason i got so many as i picked up a few here and there for free on freecycle.

Can't afford to do cars anymore so back to my first love of bikes. ^_^

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
another vote for leaving as is , i stripped and had 1 powder coated a few months ago apart from taking pics of frame number before and after etc etc , people still very wary re what tubing , as like others say anybody can buy a sticker .

if its just an old std steel frame made by one of the big companys by the bucket load then i dont think it would matter so much .

we need pics

asterix

Comrade Member
I'd keep the original paintwork unless it is absolutely necessary. Selling restored bikes will usually just get the outlay back (it's not cheap) or lose money unless you know what you are doing.

It is also vital to keep the original tube identification transfers - anyone can buy a 531 sticker and plaster it over a repainted frame.

I took photos of the frame and its stickers before having a re-enamel done (would have liked to keep the old paint but it was too far gone). Ebay enabled me to buy identical Reynolds 531 labels to replace the old ones. Not that the bike will be sold, no one would anyone pay what it's worth to me.

Top Bottom