To** Pot Taxi driver (s)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CafGriff

CafGriff

Hey Buggi.
I do hope you got the last bit of the story ? I unfortunately pressed the wrong button, when I got to the bit when Laddie got to his target.
The last bit of the tale is hilaerious!!:thanks:

buggi

Bird Saviour
Hey Buggi.
I do hope you got the last bit of the story ? I unfortunately pressed the wrong button, when I got to the bit when Laddie got to his target.
The last bit of the tale is hilaerious!!:thanks:
i didn't see it but i knew where you were going with it!!! Hilarious.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Nice to see the usual cyclechat generalisation paint brush out in force :rolleyes:. The same people who probably get all uppity when cyclists get branded as a bunch of red light jumping, pavement cycling, light defficient morons.

Yes I am a (part time) taxi driver. In addition, I am an HGV driver. Not exactly the usual profile of a cyclist, but I own 6 of them too, and manage over 3500 miles per year on them.

When I drive my taxi, I do so within the law, and drive the way I was taught by Strathclyde Police for whom I served (and drove) for 19 years. Several of my taxi driving colleagues are also retired cops.

Taxi drivers are at the bottom of the employment food chain. Some like myself only do it for pocket money, while for others it is their only income. The income is so low that I can appreciate why some of them truly don't give a f***. Pay peanuts, you get monkeys. On top of that, they can be under pressure from passengers rushing for trains or other time constrictions; or little old ladies who demand to be dropped right at the door of the hairdressers because it is raining and the nearest legal parking space is half a mile away.

Cut them (us) some slack. Yes there are the odd bad ones, but most are regular people trying to do a job. As I may have hinted before, there are a sizeable proportion of nobbers on bicycles too. I see them every working day.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Good neighbour of mine used to be a postie but knackered his knees and is now a private hire driver. Whilst I couldn't comment on his driving skills, I do know it's not well paid and he has had a good few weeks over the last couple of years where it's been financially tight. Not a job I'd chose to support a young family..

Adam4868

Guru
Good neighbour of mine used to be a postie but knackered his knees and is now a private hire driver. Whilst I couldn't comment on his driving skills, I do know it's not well paid and he has had a good few weeks over the last couple of years where it's been financially tight. Not a job I'd chose to support a young family..
The vast majority of people on low pay dont do it by choice,taxi/private hire is a tough enough job,long unsociable hours,dealing with the worst aspects of the general public.But on the plus side you pick your hours so ride when you want,cant be all bad...

clockman

Über Member
typical arragant crap driving and typical crap attitude. I'm going to enjoy shopping my ' Tos*** Taxi driver to the local Council. Hopefully they'll pay a visit and find problems to take him off the roads. Make them safer to travel on again. :evil::hyper:
Unfortunately, the council will probably do very little, unless they get several serious and possibly witnessed, complaints about this particular taxi person, (just can't call it a driver).
In that instance, they can be required (by the council taxi section) to take the DSA Taxi assessment drive again. But, in my experience this is very, very rare. It is almost, as if once having achieved a taxi certificate once, they are almost untouchable. There is not the political will to make them take it again. Restriction of trade, will be talked about!
IMHO, taxi drivers should have to retake the assessment drive, every 3/4 years, as a requirement to renew the taxi licence. Just as I think vehicle drivers should take an assessment as a requirement when updating the photo on the licence every ten years. Standards of driving might just improve.
But people will say its against their human rights, as they have already passed a test!!!

Adam4868

Guru
Unfortunately, the council will probably do very little, unless they get several serious and possibly witnessed, complaints about this particular taxi person, (just can't call it a driver).
In that instance, they can be required (by the council taxi section) to take the DSA Taxi assessment drive again. But, in my experience this is very, very rare. It is almost, as if once having achieved a taxi certificate once, they are almost untouchable. There is not the political will to make them take it again. Restriction of trade, will be talked about!

IMHO, taxi drivers should have to retake the assessment drive, every 3/4 years, as a requirement to renew the taxi licence. Just as I think vehicle drivers should take an assessment as a requirement when updating the photo on the licence every ten years. Standards of driving might just improve.
But people will say its against their h
But people will say its against their human rights, as they have already passed a test!!!
It all depends on what council/authority your dealing with.A lot dont require whatever a assesment drive is.Its about weather your a "fit and proper person" license.Why should they take one persons word/complaint as the truth ? There seems to be a lot of negative views of taxis,same as i might not like buses? Taxi drivers are well regulated allready whatever you may think,medicals,crb checks and licenses allready make it a expensive hobby,i should know.

clockman

Über Member
It all depends on what council/authority your dealing with.A lot dont require whatever a assesment drive is.Its about weather your a "fit and proper person" license.Why should they take one persons word/complaint as the truth ? There seems to be a lot of negative views of taxis,same as i might not like buses? Taxi drivers are well regulated allready whatever you may think,medicals,crb checks and licenses allready make it a expensive hobby,i should know.
You obviously have a council that thinks that every driver that they give a taxi licence to can SAFELY transport a client from A to B. My own evidence of the standard of most drivers does not back this up. Not all councils require this test, but more and more do. Those that do join scheme, then make it a requirement of licence renewal.
Just because someone can pass a CRB check, does not mean they are a 'fit and proper person'. It just means they haven't been caught. Or, if they have, it happened a specific time in the past, so that it is now not considered a problem to the public.
I do agree that one persons uncorroborated complaint is not proof. As I said, several 'serious complaints', would possibly be needed.
As you hint that you are a (hobby!) taxi driver, would you not like to have your driving assessed by a qualified examiner, to make sure that your driving is 'up to scratch', so to speak! Showing a little professional pride.
Maybe you'd like to visit this www.gov.uk/dsa-taxi-driving-test and see what's required.

Adam4868

Guru
Been a 'hobby' of mine for 25 years,so i reckon im qualified to know a thing or two about it.Do i know bad drivers ? Definately see them every day,from hgvs down to cyclists, theres plenty of bad ones.I just try not to tar everyone with the same brush so to speak.

clockman

Über Member
Does it mean that you are a good driver yourself though?
However, I shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush. But, who can honestly say that the standard of driving they display is always above reproach. We all make mistakes and can always learn.

Brandane

Legendary Member
You obviously have a council that thinks that every driver that they give a taxi licence to can SAFELY transport a client from A to B. My own evidence of the standard of most drivers does not back this up. Not all councils require this test, but more and more do. Those that do join scheme, then make it a requirement of licence renewal.
Just because someone can pass a CRB check, does not mean they are a 'fit and proper person'. It just means they haven't been caught. Or, if they have, it happened a specific time in the past, so that it is now not considered a problem to the public.
I do agree that one persons uncorroborated complaint is not proof. As I said, several 'serious complaints', would possibly be needed.
As you hint that you are a (hobby!) taxi driver, would you not like to have your driving assessed by a qualified examiner, to make sure that your driving is 'up to scratch', so to speak! Showing a little professional pride.
Maybe you'd like to visit this www.gov.uk/dsa-taxi-driving-test and see what's required.
A DSA taxi test sounds very much like an expensive waste of time. Personally, I wouldn't be willing to pay another cent for the privilege of driving a taxi. There comes a point, which is already very close, where it becomes uneconomical to bother. In addition to that, as the current DSA test proves, passing a test is no guarantee that any particular driver will keep up that standard. Personal pride is what is needed, and that's not something that can be easily regulated. Perhaps more traffic Police and better enforcement of current rules would be better? Plus, it should apply to ALL road users rather than singling out taxis.

clockman

Über Member
A DSA taxi test sounds very much like an expensive waste of time. Personally, I wouldn't be willing to pay another cent for the privilege of driving a taxi. There comes a point, which is already very close, where it becomes uneconomical to bother. In addition to that, as the current DSA test proves, passing a test is no guarantee that any particular driver will keep up that standard. Personal pride is what is needed, and that's not something that can be easily regulated. Perhaps more traffic Police and better enforcement of current rules would be better? Plus, it should apply to ALL road users rather than singling out taxis.
If you don't want to be a taxi driver, I quite agree. Waste of money. But not if you do want to be a taxi driver and it is a requirement of the local authority you wish to work in.
Personal pride is indeed what is needed. However, too many people think there is nothing wrong with the way they drive, they think they are the mutts nuts, so are already proud of how theydrive. The standard of very few peoples driving improves from the day they pass their test.
More traffic cops would be a good idea, but as their number is constantly being reduced, there will continue to be a decline in the enforcement of the rules.
Taxi drivers do tend to be an easy target. Mainly, because displays of bad driving are done so by vehicles with a taxi light on the roof or badge on the rear of the vehicle. But, please don't think I am saying all bad driving is by taxi drivers, it's not. We, as car driving cyclists are not above reproach.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Some cyclists in Birmingham are so pissed-off with taxis they've got these stickers printed up

Photo1646.jpg

Yep, NOW i'm having my second glass of rosie and wacthing 'The Holiday' on ITV 2!!

When that happened to me I felt sick and anxious, I was trembling and nauseous, the impact stayed with me for days. It was horrible. Jack Black copping off with Kate Winslett, I mean, come on!

Top Bottom