to race or to wait

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Are you kidding us or trolling as the young people say?

If you aren't, keep training until your TTs for an hour are above 20mph AND you can sit in a group for over three hours that averages over 20mph.

The cost and drama of racing anything other than TTs at this time is not worth it from my experience. And I was somewhat like you when I started.
Nope he wants to turn pro...might take a while I fear

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/am-i-too-old-to-start-racing-trying-to-be-a-pro.198514/

Big Dave laaa

Biking Ninja
Not see Blazed on here for a while. ...just saying

vickster

Legendary Member
Not see Blazed on here for a while. ...just saying
Shush...he might hear you! And whatever you do never ever say his name thrice :ohmy:

beetlejuice.jpg

mattobrien

Guru
@jamma having had a quick look at you strava, I suspect the main issue you may be facing in you quest to get faster and start racing / turning pro, is your lack of miles.

I have covered roughly double your year to date mileage so far in May and there are several riders in the CC strava club who have covered this distance over the last 7 days. If you want to get faster, ride more. Trying harder will help too.

Good luck and don't forget to report back on progress

OP
OP
J

jamma

Über Member
Back on topic is this training plan okay

Sunday - rest day
Monday - easy ride 60mins - 90mins
Tuesday - intervals 4-6 sets @ 2 mins on /3 mins recovery
Wednesday - long ride 3hrs+
Thursday - easy ride 60mins - 90 mins
Friday - intervals 4-6 sets @ 2mins on /3 mins recovery
Saturday - easy ride 60mins - 90mins

Repeat that for 3 weeks then have a rest week

If anyone has improvements please let me know

More than 50% of your days are spent resting or doing something easy. My questions are

A why?
B any gym work?
C what about endurance? The pros ride lots of days on the trot doing 100-150miles.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Does Strava show all your rides? Because an average of a single 27mile ride per week is just silly. Get out and ride your bike.

outlash

also available in orange
Back on topic is this training plan okay

Sunday - rest day
Monday - easy ride 60mins - 90mins
Tuesday - intervals 4-6 sets @ 2 mins on /3 mins recovery
Wednesday - long ride 3hrs+
Thursday - easy ride 60mins - 90 mins
Friday - intervals 4-6 sets @ 2mins on /3 mins recovery
Saturday - easy ride 60mins - 90mins

Repeat that for 3 weeks then have a rest week

If anyone has improvements please let me know

Or,

Monday - ride
Tuesday - ride
Wednesday - ride
Thursday - ride
Friday - ride
Saturday - ride
Sunday - ride

Crack on.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Yeah my 10 mile TT was about that but when i go out on my own i just doing 13.5mph average

I'm sorry but you will really need to train harder. Looking at your Strava stats you're doing 30-ish miles a week at an average of 13.5mph. On a £2k Cervelo.

My 11 year-old, on a hilly 43 mile ride yesterday, did a 14.5mph average riding in front of/alongside me for about 2/3 of the ride (this is mine as his is 'private' https://www.strava.com/activities/590546348 ) and a bit with my club. For info I slowed him down as I'm recovering from breaking 6 ribs a month ago.

Because his race results aren't as expected this year (no wins yet) AND we're doing a coast-to-coast ride this week he decided to up his training to 100+ miles a week at speed. That's a mixture of track, road and MTB training plus commuting.

After 6 weeks it's starting to pay dividends where he's now at the club's 'medium' chain gang pace rather than their 'beginner' chain gang.

If you're available this is in Stockton on 23-26 June: http://events.stockton.gov.uk/stockton-events/stockton-cycling-festival-2/ to give you an idea of how fast circuit racing is. He's riding in the Under 12's race on the Friday night but the real speed will be in the U16's.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but you're about the pace of an average Under 12 racer at the moment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom