To roast or not to roast?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm a winter roast person ... (well non-summer anyway), but not every week. Family favourite is Duck, followed by chicken, gammon, and lamb. Not that fond of either roast pork or beef. But I love the smells that fill the house, gravy made from the pan and then afterwards making stock.

ChrisBD

Winter (almost) salad

Roast venison wellington, roast spuds and parsnips in goose fat, baby carrots and peas

Blckberry and apple Queen of puds with custard.

All home made / grown, and venison shot by me last year - need to make freezer space more butchered lamb and pig.

Shoulder of lamb tomorrow I think.

D

Deleted member 1258

If you lot keep talking food like this I'll be raiding the kitchen later :hungry: :biggrin: Roast pork here tonight, with veg and roast spuds mmmm, the only downside, its my turn for the washing up.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
need to make freezer space more butchered lamb and pig.

+1 :tongue: we are expecting half a whether soon

Tonight's menu was Lamb shanks slow cooked in red wine, with home grown roasted vegetables & tatties,
followed by courgette cake (harvested 9 kg of courgettes yesterday :ohmy: oops should have gone to the allotment sooner)

T

Maz

Guru
No, not another professional footballer thread but I have to confess to being a sucker for the traditional English roast dinner in the cooler months on a Sunday evening.
Absolutely love the English roast dinner.
This Eid, we forgot about Biriani and the like for the traditional meal- instead we had roast beef, yorkshire pud, mash, carrots, parsnips, sprouts, and loads of thick gravy. Loved it.

jeltz

Veteran
Roasts all year round, a good roast will provide several meals.

Today was Chicken and chipolatas, broccoli, sprouts, sweetcorn cabbage, roast potatoes and proper gravy. On Wednesday the left over meat will go into a chicken pie and the carcase will be boiled down and made into a stock which will make the basis for a soup.

Keith Oates

Janner
A couple of Brits opened a 'pub' here in Guangzhou last Christmas and they have, for the last four months, been doing a roast beef dinner every Sunday, complete with Yorkshire Puddings. They are lovely and the highlight of my week, food wise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arch

Married to Night Train
This Eid, we forgot about Biriani and the like for the traditional meal- instead we had roast beef, yorkshire pud, mash, carrots, parsnips, sprouts, and loads of thick gravy. Loved it.

And there in a single sentence is the essence of the integration that makes me proud of Britain - bearing in mind that on the same day, thousands of ethnically white nominally Christian Brits will have been relishing a Biriani for supper. :smile:

Blimey, I really fancy a roast dinner now....

ASC1951

Guru
Roast chicken and veg in the Noodley household this evening :tongue:
ASC's top tip - roast chickens upside down. (The chicken I mean). Stops the bottom half being too greasy and the top half too dry.

They also get half a lemon and half an onion inside them, plus a handful of fresh herbs if it isn't raining outside.

Ranger

For the occasional change (and when I have the time) steak and kidney pudding :tongue: Slowly boiled for 6 hours and served with mashed potato and veg

Davidc

Guru
Roast everything that doesn't move and you can't go far wrong. Roast pork with proper crackling's still my favourite. In fact I'll be popping round to pick up a joint today after reading all this. But you have to have roasties and mash.

Aah - wonderful. May not be what the cardiac department ordered but it's what makes life worth living!

Edit: Where do you get it in Flanders - my brother's been trying to find some for years.

Roast chicken and the occasional roast duck or lamb/beef joint. And gravy, very important is gravy. Mine is the best but I am often lazy and buy it and then just enhance it.

Is that 30 each now Rich?

Top Bottom