To the bloke that overtook me last night

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Location
Holmfirth.
I dont mind being overtaken by another cyclist (he lies through gritted teeth), but if you have to do it, please make it stick.

Don't for example give it 100% to crawl past me on the first gentle hill, then blow up and slow down. Especially on that really busy road where there's traffic islands in the centre and overtaking at 5.30 is just silly.

If you do this, and then I pass you again, please dont feel the need to RLJ just to get ahead again. But if you do this too, then expect me to sit on your back wheel just close enough so you know I'm there.

I'm sure that the nice loud noise my freewheel makes will again cause you to slowly crank up the speed till I can hear you trying to breath through your ears. Right up to the point where your stamina finally gives out and you have to stop on the final 2mile hill for a "pretend" mechanical.

Cheers

Kes.
 

karan733

New Member
feel better now thats off your chest? :laugh:
 

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Location
The middle bit
The pretend mechanical reminds of somebody on here who said the stopped to pretend to pick blackberries when there was a club run behind him.
 

NigC

New Member
Location
Surrey
That reminds me of a day last year. Cycling home I passed a school-kid while he was cycling on the path. For some reason he decided to race me - I only noticed when he pulled off the path DIRECTLY in front on me, then having decided he'd done the hard work, took a breather, nearly causing me to ram him. I'm not a super-fast cyclist, but I can move at a fair pace when I want to and this kid had just pushed my button, so I put my foot down and never saw him again :laugh:
 

HobbesChoice

New Member
Location
Essex
I don't enjoy playing cyclist leap-frog on my way home either so it was nice to read that I'm not the only one who gets this. I don't think they RLJ just to get ahead again though, I think that's their method of on-road cycling.
 

Mad Doug Biker

Bikeoholics Anonymous
Location
Craggy Island
My my, what egos we have on here!!

I quite frankly couldn't give a flying fart how quickly the cyclist in front/behind me is going, as if I am going at my usual pace and doing the best I can, then I can't feel somehow insignificant if they then pass me.
I'd never overtake someone just for the sake of it.

Of course there are arses on bikes, but I just don't rise to it, and what's more if I find you on my rear wheel because *shock horror* I overtook you earlier (although I'd never go out of my way to do it to anyone just to annoy them), don't expect me to speed up for you unless it's in the likes of traffic and I have too.
I'll just continue at my own pace where I feel comfortable, not at yours.

If you don't like it, tough, stop being an arse.
 
GregCollins said:
I feigned a text message once to shake someone off a few weeks back.
Done that!

Phew thought it was only me!!!:laugh:
 
OP
Kestevan

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Location
Holmfirth.
Mad Doug Biker said:
what's more if I find you on my rear wheel because *shock horror* I overtook you earlier (although I'd never go out of my way to do it to anyone just to annoy them), don't expect me to speed up for you unless it's in the likes of traffic and I have too.
I'll just continue at my own pace where I feel comfortable, not at yours.

If you don't like it, tough, stop being an arse.
I think you're missing the point. If the guy had overtaken me and buggered off into the distance then fine - good luck to him. The thing I objected to was that he obviously had to bust a gut to overtake me, at my steady pace, then slowed right down in front of me in a place where I'd be taking my life in my hands to overtake. When I eventually got past, he overtook again by jumping a red light, and once more slowed right down.

He then cranked up the speed in an attempt to keep me behind him. I merely matched him pace for pace, he was more than welcome to slow down (or maintain his own pace) but that would have put him behind me, and he plainly didn't want that.....

I know which one of us I think is an arse.....
 

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Location
Manchester, UK
Kestevan said:
<snip>He then cranked up the speed in an attempt to keep me behind him. I merely matched him pace for pace, he was more than welcome to slow down (or maintain his own pace) but that would have put him behind me, and he plainly didn't want that.....

I know which one of us I think is an arse.....</snip>
Oooh, ooh, me Sir... I think I know the answer to this one... ;);)
 

Glow worm

Guru
Location
Near Newmarket
Mad Doug Biker said:
My my, what egos we have on here!!

I quite frankly couldn't give a flying fart how quickly the cyclist in front/behind me is going, as if I am going at my usual pace and doing the best I can, then I can't feel somehow insignificant if they then pass me.
I'd never overtake someone just for the sake of it.

If you don't like it, tough, stop being an arse.
Maybe you're onto something there with regards to egos. I too couldn't give a flying feck if I overtake or get overtaken. It's never occured to me before reading stuff on here that it could mean so much to folks. Seems really odd in an adult- maybe it's a london thing.
 
Location
EDINBURGH
A few weeks ago I was test riding a customers 700 that I had just given an overhaul to, I passed a roadie who then decided the race was on, we were on a slight uphill and he eased past near the top before it drops into a 3 mile descent, we were both knackered by then, he looked at the down hill then at me before saying "bollocks", I gave him a smile then made the jump into hyperspace, 3 miles later I had got my breath back and was thanking God that I had managed to climb so well.
 

GrasB

Veteran
Location
Nr Cambridge
Mad Doug Biker said:
My my, what egos we have on here!!

I quite frankly couldn't give a flying fart how quickly the cyclist in front/behind me is going, as if I am going at my usual pace and doing the best I can, then I can't feel somehow insignificant if they then pass me.
I'd never overtake someone just for the sake of it.
If you're going to overtake then make sure you can make it stick given the prevailing conditions. There's nothing worse than someone who can just overtake you, after drafting you, but can't hold your speed so you're forever overtaking them.
 
Top Bottom