To the Cannondale fan boys..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You've seen my CAAD 5 ...

redcar_tarn_keighley_wide.jpg

After riding it for a while with its original racy position, I came to the conclusion that I needed to sit more upright. I couldn't achieve that with spacers under the stem because the steerer had been cut too short for that so I flipped the stem over. The position now is perfect for me. It doesn't look as nice as having the stem the right way up though, so if possible, having extra spacers is the way to go. If you would do that, then the CAAD range should be back up for consideration!

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
You've seen my CAAD 5 ...

redcar_tarn_keighley_wide.jpg

After riding it for a while with its original racy position, I came to the conclusion that I needed to sit more upright. I couldn't achieve that with spacers under the stem because the steerer had been cut too short for that so I flipped the stem over. The position now is perfect for me. It doesn't look as nice as having the stem the right way up though, so if possible, having extra spacers is the way to go. If you would do that, then the CAAD range should be back up for consideration!
I think I am leaning back towards the Caad 8 now, can always flip the stem/add spacers like you suggest Colin.
This will be my nice bike for the next few years so a few £'s more for something I really want will be money well spent :thumbsup:

billy1561

BB wrecker
Had a synapse up until last summer and was supremely comfortable and certainly not slow despite its relaxed geometry. I have a much more race orientated bike now and its definitely quicker but a better rider than me would be quicker than me riding the synapse than my new bike so its not much slower really. Definitely more comfortable.

Nearly there

Veteran
I have the synapse and chose it for its more relaxed position and find it very comfortable but I think I could get also away with a caad 8 as its not as racey as the 10,maybe I could get away with the 10 too :unsure:

RedMG

Regular
I've got a CAAD8 105, and tried it against the synapse. Absolutely great bike, not too aggressive position, and you have the option of flipping the stem if you need which kind of gives you a synapse option.

400bhp

Guru
I've got a CAAD8 105, and tried it against the synapse. Absolutely great bike, not too aggressive position, and you have the option of flipping the stem if you need which kind of gives you a synapse option.

No need to flip the stem. Just make sure the bike shop leave plenty of metal on the steerer. Say, 30mm for 2 spacers.

montage

God Almighty
Take a look at the aluminium canyon/rose. For the same price as a caad you may well get a higher spec.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
I'll be honest mate. If I was buying a bike around £1k, then I'd find it hard to get past the Canyon Ultimate AL 7.0

The spec is brilliant.
Does look good, would rather buy from somewhere I can see the bike beforehand though, not keen on an internet sale at all.
Once I stop procrastinating I'll have a nip to see the Caad8 from somewhere local :thumbsup:

adamhearn

Veteran
I had a similar choice a couple of years back (CAAD 8 vs Synapse). I chose the Synapse after a back to back test ride on the same route. For me it's the right bike - not a racer but is fast enough for what I use it for.

Your original thoughts of fitting the 105 calipers may not work on the Synapse as it requires long drop versions. I've not measured but it's possible the 105 units will not reach.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
I had a similar choice a couple of years back (CAAD 8 vs Synapse). I chose the Synapse after a back to back test ride on the same route. For me it's the right bike - not a racer but is fast enough for what I use it for.

Your original thoughts of fitting the 105 calipers may not work on the Synapse as it requires long drop versions. I've not measured but it's possible the 105 units will not reach.
Good to know, thanks adamhearn :thumbsup:

I have the choice of taking the better bits off the Secteur to put on the new bike or keep as is and use as my winter commuter, do you know what size tyres could fit the Synapse?
Just wondering if they have the long drop brakes because of the frame difference or to accomodate wider wheels.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Good to know, thanks adamhearn :thumbsup:

I have the choice of taking the better bits off the Secteur to put on the new bike or keep as is and use as my winter commuter, do you know what size tyres could fit the Synapse?
Just wondering if they have the long drop brakes because of the frame difference or to accomodate wider wheels.
I think it may take full mudguards too. It was one I considered when I was looking for a winter/bad weather bike. Couldn't quite stretch my budget so ended up with a Forme Longcliffe.

Top Bottom