To the considerate drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davim19

I know she probably won't see this, but I just want to say thank you to the lady in the silver mini who went out of her way to make sure I was ok after my fall on Barnsley Road yesterday. She thought she'd clipped me and that I was going to have a go at her and seemed shocked that I was so calm and thankful to her.

The metal used to make the rear dropout on my B'Twin Vitamin sheared and made the wheel effectively fall off.

So to all the considerate drivers thank you, and to all the lovely teens who saw the accident and cheered when I fell, stuff you.

Oops! :ohmy: Are you ok? Any damage to yourself?

I can imagine a drop out failing would dump you pretty quickly on the floor! Any idea why it failed?

Good for the driver stopping and checking your ok, although if she though it was her fault that suggests that she was too close!

OP
OP
D

davim19

Oops! :ohmy: Are you ok? Any damage to yourself?

I can imagine a drop out failing would dump you pretty quickly on the floor! Any idea why it failed?

Good for the driver stopping and checking your ok, although if she though it was her fault that suggests that she was too close!

Damage to my wrist (I think my scafoid has gone), big gash to my leg and my left foot doesn't seem to want to do what I want it to.

She wasn't too close at all, she had actually held back to let me through a pinch point first and gave me loads of room as she passed. I think she was just worried that I might blame her.

Bike is going back asap, I'll be getting a new bike ready for when I'm healed, not sure if it'll be another one of those though.

Damage to my wrist (I think my scafoid has gone), big gash to my leg and my left foot doesn't seem to want to do what I want it to.

She wasn't too close at all, she had actually held back to let me through a pinch point first and gave me loads of room as she passed. I think she was just worried that I might blame her.

Bike is going back asap, I'll be getting a new bike ready for when I'm healed, not sure if it'll be another one of those though.

How old was the bike? There may be a case for compensation if there is a design/manufacturing fault. A bike should not collapse underneath you (unless poorly maintained). A scaphoid fracture can take a long time to resolve, hopefully not in your case of course.

If the bike was fairly new and in good maintanence I would think about contacting the CTC (if you are a member).

OP
OP
D

davim19

How old was the bike? There may be a case for compensation if there is a design/manufacturing fault. A bike should not collapse underneath you (unless poorly maintained). A scaphoid fracture can take a long time to resolve, hopefully not in your case of course.

If the bike was fairly new and in good maintanence I would think about contacting the CTC (if you are a member).

The bike was 2 months old and well maintained, I'm not a member of the CTC unfortunately, but I will be putting my point across when I go in to the store tomorrow.

Tynan

Veteran
if that bike has suffered no serious knocks then the bike was defo faulty and you should take legal action for compo, perhaps a no win no fee operation would take that, you've clearly been injured

you can join CTC after the accident, fact

the shop should replace the bike if you are polite but firm, if that's all you want then fair dos

Aye, as Tynan says, you can join the CTC. They will help you even though the incident happened before you joined,apparently.

I'm not a fan of compensation, but if a two week old bike failed like that on me, and I sustained injuries as a result, then I would definitely claim. Manufactures need to be held account when they design or build products that are dangerous, IMO.

Take plenty of photos of the the damage to the bike, and to yourself. And take it easy!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
The bike was 2 months old and well maintained, I'm not a member of the CTC unfortunately, but I will be putting my point across when I go in to the store tomorrow.

I dont know much about Btwin, but I wouldn't expect too much help form an LBS...you need to complain in very serious terms to Btwin direct.

Take photos of the failed component, the location(showing potential danger to your like) and the injury suffered. Get quotes for everything, taxis, trains, unpaid sick leave, physio, everything and anything and send them the lot.

I'd be amazed if they didnt take this very seriously as heaven knows what could happen next time one of their components fails.

also, its the shops job to take up defect issues with the manufacturer as your contract was with the shop, as such they should try and resolve it (either replace or refund) and then take it up with manufacturer.

I'm feared by Argos' customer service staff :smile:

That's just put me off buying a vitamin for a hack bike
ohmy.gif

OP
OP
D

davim19

Yep I can vouch for that, I have a titanium pin in mine holding it together and I can no longer do press ups, not that I could do them before.

Mine now goes regularly since I broke it 10 years ago, same as you I can't do press ups any more, but I don't really want to anyway.

I took the bike back yesterday and managed to get a full refund straight away. Now to find a new bike ready for when I can ride again, driving to work everyday is hurting my wallet and taking the bus would be even more expensive.

Moodyman

Legendary Member

Is that all?

Surely you feel a little drowsy, maybe even migraines. You're getting blackouts right?

You saw your whole life pass in front of you. The shock of near-death has stunned you. You thought you'd never see your wife and kids again.

Depression setting in maybe?

And you have a witness to the failed dropout.

Come on Davim, be a little more imaginative. This is a large multinational that's caused you this, not some local LBS barely keeping afloat.

Good luck with the recovery.
thumbsup.png

Top Bottom