To the mathematicians amongst you.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You've gone from no difference to no negligible difference - make up your mind.

Oh ffs.

No one will notice that or indeed notice a time difference. Flaming anoracks in here sometimes. A good poo will help more.

The poor op asked a simple question and the anoracks all come out and argue. He won't get up the hill any faster in the same ratio.

I give up.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The poor op asked a simple question and the anoracks all come out and argue.

The same OP who asked an equally 'simple' question about whether hybrids are better than road bikes, with a similar outcome. A more cynical man than me might suggest it's deliberate.

Ajax Bay

Guru
For ease of climbing, is a 34x34 chain drive better than a 30x30 one? Over to you.
No real-world, on-the-road difference
I 'liked' this post before trying to add value, building on @ColinJ 's post.
1 watt on a hill at crawling speed on a 1:1 is no negligible difference.
The poor op asked a simple question and the anoracks (sic) all come out and argue.
The OP invited those interested to comment (see the post's title for his idea of the target population) and some have. This is chatting not arguing - as in 'Cycle Chat'. You may, of course, suggest that there is no difference or that there's negligible difference. But I hope you won't suggest (in this context or any other) that there's "no negligible difference" (chat v argue, for the avoidance of doubt).

hoopdriver

Guru
Yes, I noticed the double negative - I just didn't get what was meant in the rest of the par

Ajax Bay

Guru
I would not want to call 1-2 watts no difference, this equates to approx. 4 seconds if you were riding a 10.
You've gone from no difference to no negligible difference - make up your mind.
@Vegan1 differs on whether a difference is material, "no difference" or "no negligible difference" (whatever is meany by the last term). On the tyre tread / wrong way round / grip thread, @Vegan1 's contributions might better be judged as misinformed and persistently unwilling to accept a persuasive contrary argument.
Closer to topic, going up a 5% hill at circa 250w (ie in a 30-30 or 34-34) you can save 7w by going on the drops, according to bikecalculator.

Vegan1

Oh ffs.

No one will notice that or indeed notice a time difference. Flaming anoracks in here sometimes. A good poo will help more.

The poor op asked a simple question and the anoracks all come out and argue. He won't get up the hill any faster in the same ratio.

I give up.

I live for the marginal gains and finding that extra few watts. From using wax on the chain rather than lube, to keeping it tight on the legs by shaving them every third day - it's all relevant.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Unless you are elite class or high level amateur then this marginal gains it's a bit pointless with oil, etc. Really you'd be better off training more. You are the engine. PS yes I have raced and TTed to a good level but beyond tri bars, wheels, skin suit and aero helmet, worrying about oil, chain ring size etc didn't cross my mind.

But we've turned a simple question into a complicated answer.

Top Bottom