To those that measure their deep sleep

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My watch/phone says of the 9 hour I slept last night (I'm sceptical of 9h, 9hs in bed but tossing and turning all night :wacko: ) I only had 8mins of deep sleep. Apart from the 9 hours bit, thats not too untypical of my deep sleep (my ave last week was 15mins an I think the most I've ever saw was 40mins)

OP
OP
Y

yello

I had 9 last night, with 46 minutes deep in 4 stages in the first 2 hours. That number of deep sleep phases is somewhat unusual for me. As a rule, it's usually 1 maybe 2.

As I mentioned upthread, my watch data often gets revised (I'm assuming by the server once it gets uploaded, thought about and recalculated)...

Last night's sleep has been revised to 32m deep sleep in a single stage. Weird how it recalcs it. I wonder on what basis it does it.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Mine's all over the place and can also be affected by whether I've had a beer during the evening. I know it's only a guestimation by Garmin based on movement, heart rate, etc but here's a couple of examples from this week
Firstly Tuesday night/Wednesday morning
1681677134575.png
Compared to Saturday night into this morning
1681677275267.png

Last edited:

bobzmyunkle

I've done a bit more experimentation. Garmin 55 comes up consistently with 40 - 50 mins of deep sleep. Xiaomi smartband comes in around 2 hours. Quite a difference, but we know it's just an estimate.
If I have couple of beers, the readings come out the same. However, how I feel is much more consistent with findings that alcohol reduces sleep quality. At best a bit more coffee needed in the morning.
I don't like wearing a watch in bed anyhow, so experiment over.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Firstly Tuesday night/Wednesday morning

That's a lot of deep sleep, both in total and as a percentage. Was that the final figure? Or have Garmin since revised it?

I'm not a drinker of alcohol so can't comment on its effects but I do have 3 (on average) coffees a day. I've not seen, or felt, any difference in my sleep on the rare days that I don't have coffee. As to wearing my watch at night - I got used to it!

Venod

Eh up
I'm not a drinker of alcohol so can't comment on its effects

When I have had several pints, it raises my resting heart rate, this effects the body battery readings, its noticeably not as good as normal, sleep isn't a lot different, but a few more awake moments for toilet visits.

presta

Guru
View attachment 685639 I wear a Garmin Fenix 5 24/7.

My sleep pattern generally follows everyone else, I think. A typical night would be - After nodding off I’m soon into one hour of deep sleep, and the rest of the night is light sleep with two to five cycles of REM.

My biggest problem is not getting enough sleep. I work late two or three nights each week but always up early to get the kids off to school.

It's interesting that sleep comes in three different categories, I knew about REM, but couldn't remember how many others there were.

A couple of years ago I recorded my sleep on audio for a couple of months because I was looking for signs of sleep apnoea. What I noticed was that my breathing fell into three very distinct different types: light, normal and heavy. The heavy breathing was similar to what you'd expect if you were exercising quite hard, normal was, well....normal, and the light was so quiet I had to filter the audio and train my ear to find it.

It seems reasonable to suppose the breathing categories correlate with the sleep categories.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
That's a lot of deep sleep, both in total and as a percentage. Was that the final figure? Or have Garmin since revised it?

I'm not a drinker of alcohol so can't comment on its effects but I do have 3 (on average) coffees a day. I've not seen, or felt, any difference in my sleep on the rare days that I don't have coffee. As to wearing my watch at night - I got used to it!

Those were the final figures - the Monday into Tuesday, Tuesday into Wednesday and Wednesday into Thursday always show longer deep sleep due to not drinking coffee after 3pm and no alcohol in the evening due to work the next day.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Very unusually: i measured my sleep last night. Also unusually; my wife has just had chest issues - and seeing as I’m getting over a cold - I slept in a spare bedroom / an unusual bed etc.

I usually average 25-50 (?) minutes deep sleep. And this is the same app, the same watch as always. ‘Only’ the fact I slept alone in a different bed has changed……

**(Not sure if this is a pure one off; or if I can learn anything from this. Maybe repeat tonight ?)

Attachments

• IMG_8427.jpeg
    IMG_8427.jpeg
    37 KB · Views: 2
D

Deleted member 26715

I am confident that if sleeping ever got into the Olympics I would be a contender in several classes. Spontaneous, freestyle, flexible, power napping and so on.
How do you do that, that's the one I struggle with, I can be as tired as a tired thing & then as soon as my head hits the pillow I'm awake.

Gwylan

Veteran
How do you do that, that's the one I struggle with, I can be as tired as a tired thing & then as soon as my head hits the pillow I'm awake.

Well a long, long time ago my employer arranged training.

We had a problem with staff wellbeing, before it was fashionable. They got awkward about being expected to be present and delivering.
So managers were sent on this course. This gave us the tools to diagnose stress in our colleagues and teams before they arrived at work with a ripped singlet and a souped up chain saw.
The under-message was to find ways of helping these people to find their inner zen somewhere else

Two doctors ran the course and gave us all sorts of tools and tests to diagnose stress in our "people"
They also taught us breathing and relaxing exercises. I never looked back.
Decide you are going to sleep. Get warm and comfortable. Close your eyes and slow your breathing.
As you do that you have to do two things.
1 Relax, take a slow deep breath and feel everything flow out of your finger tips. Trust me......
2 Repeat, slower and slower. If you do more than 5 cycles you are not doing it right.
Generally I'm asleep before four cycles.

Top Bottom