To those that measure their deep sleep

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Y

yello

Words fail me
Me too.

bobzmyunkle

I've got a forerunner 55. Tried it to measure sleep a couple of time. Deep sleep about 50 mins. A quick Google suggests very inaccurate based mainly on movement. Not to worry, I didn't buy it to measure sleep.

Words fail me.
Why buy a piece of equipment that claims to measure something.
Might as well spin a pendulum over your navel to tell yesterday's weather.

Until now I believed that cyclists were a pretty rational lot. I may have to reconsider that.

You do know we aren't just talking of a sleep monitor gadget don't you ? It does all sorts of measurements.

Or do you not believe in tape measures either?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I just enjoy stats, even if it’s just a rough idea for the likes of sleep.

The Apple Watch and Garmin are remarkably similar.

EE8B0757-B83D-4AD7-AC22-8ADED7832D6D.png

72057C0A-4029-4920-9D9E-009545E782F9.jpeg

OP
OP
Y

yello

The Apple Watch and Garmin are remarkably similar

Now simple folk like me would anticipate that they would be the same! Then you start reading about algorithms etc and realise it's not quite as simple as you first thought. Kinda interesting, almost fascinating, when you get into it.

My watch/app recalcs the deep sleep amount a few times after it's logged, I must search the 'why' of that one, it interests me. I'm guessing extra processing is done on a server somewhere with additional data... or something.

One of the watches (the Fitbit think... or one beginning with f anyway) is reputed to be more accurate for sleep.

Venod

Eh up
One of the watches (the Fitbit think... or one beginning with f anyway) is reputed to be more accurate for sleep.

The ones I have used have all differed slightly, but all confirm I am a light sleeper, the wife and I both had Withins watches I was light sleeper as known, the wife (according to the watch) would get into the all England sleeping team.
The Garmin 55 was not as accurate as the Garmin Venu 2 I now use, if I laid still in bed, but was awake the 55 would have me down as sleeping, the Venu 2 seems to know I am awake but lying still, how does it know that ?

OP
OP
Y

yello

the Venu 2 seems to know I am awake but lying still, how does it know that?

Yes, that is impressive. Mine hasn't a clue. That said, it sometimes thinks I'm sleeping when it's actually on charge!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Mine has always been erratic - but I stopped worrying about it long ago.

8 hours is a myth anyway - one that nobody can accurately pinpoint the source of.
I think somebody just took a very simplistic view of an average day... 8 hours at work, 8 hours not at work, 8 hours sleep. I doubt there was any actual science involved.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I very rarely wear my smartwatch in bed.

This however is typical if I do.

If that’s good, bad or indifferent I have no idea 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• 7E511619-E41F-444C-A4CE-9C2EF9D02179.jpeg
    7E511619-E41F-444C-A4CE-9C2EF9D02179.jpeg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1

Gwylan

Veteran
You do know we aren't just talking of a sleep monitor gadget don't you ? It does all sorts of measurements.

Or do you not believe in tape measures either?

Good heavens, really! You amaze me.
We've got this far without knowing our heart rate, oxygen content and surprise surprise we can get by without knowing or caring about our sleep quality.

Regarding tape measures, your analogue escapes me completely. A tape measure is pretty useless as an egg timer.

But your view that they are gadgets does rather set the scene. Google gadget.

Top Bottom