To USB, or not to USB...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickAKA

Über Member
After toiling with a cheapo tempremental light set for the last god knows how long, I'm going to bite the bullet and buy some better ones. I'll be riding well lit roads in the winter daylight gloom so I don't require 1m candle power, I just require something reliable, as in clip-on as required & forget until next time.
The question is, given my experience with cheapo USB lights is it safe to assume a more expensive set of USB chargeable units will be at least a bit better? I've always charged the old set the day before I need them, it's just a question of whether they decide to work on the day.
Currently looking at these: https://www.merlincycles.com/moon-meteor-auto-crescent-bike-light-set-102329.html

Opinions/suggestions sought & appreciated.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have found Moon lights to be very reliable. My old XP300 is in use by my son and I am currently using a Meteor Vortex. I had one like the one you are looking at but it wasn't beefy enough for unlit country lanes.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
My Moon Meteor (USB) died just after the 2 year warranty expired. My Leyzne 400XL USB is now 2.5 years old.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I also use a Catseye set on triple As as well. Beam is rather weak on unlit roads.
Be aware if you're using rechargeables they'll be even worse.

Lonestar

Veteran
Looks good in the pic but well overpriced.What I like about my smart rear lights (2) is if they did fail I can buy new batteries if need be.They last about four commutes.I don't really push it more than that.

On the front I have two lights powered by 18650 Li-Ion batteries and always carry a spare torch if needed.Not to sure of USB...Had one and it failed quite quickly and it was meant to be the backup.

Old jon

Guru
A vote for Cateye usb rechargeables. Front and rear, never a problem. A niggle is the beam spread on the front, but set low enough to be polite still sufficient for the speeds I can ride at, even on unlit roads.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'm using two of the £12.99 Crivit USB rechargeable light sets that Lidl do as part of their cycling offers. They get left on each bike permanently, although I wouldn't leave them on my hack bike if parked unattended. Even on the lowest setting the illumination is sufficient for streetlit roads, and they seem to last well between charges. For the money, I doubt you'd get better.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Using a moon meteor vortex pro. Great little light. You can pick them up for around £40 if you know where to look.

Sad thing about it though is they use a proprietary battery and moon don't really seem to be making them anymore. Everywhere I've seen is either in very short supply or completely sold out.

That has always annoyed me. Its a great product but they've deliberately gone and gimped it. I managed to nab 2 spare batteries on ebay for £12 each or something but the only listings I have found recently are from Australia... Something like £30 shipping...

OP
OP
nickAKA

nickAKA

Über Member
OK, belt & braces - ordered the lezyne set above as primary use lights, will scour the local lidl stores for the battery types as back-ups although I'm sure I've got a set or two of the Aldi ones I picked up in their clearance last year... the biggest problem with those is the batteries will be screwed just through sitting in the unopened package, cheap & nasty as they are.

si_c

Guru
OK, belt & braces - ordered the lezyne set above as primary use lights, will scour the local lidl stores for the battery types as back-ups although I'm sure I've got a set or two of the Aldi ones I picked up in their clearance last year... the biggest problem with those is the batteries will be screwed just through sitting in the unopened package, cheap & nasty as they are.
Mrs C has been using lezyne lights for the last 2 years, never once been problematic. The only complaint is that because of the design of the ports it's not possible to put two next to each other on a usb multi-charger as they overlap. Having said that they don't take long to charge up so it's no problem to swap them over.

Lonestar

Veteran
Looks like I'm in the wrong then...although my lighting setup works fine I guess you have to use what you are happy with.My mate at work has a USB light I need to ask him how he's getting on with it.

Not sure I could charge USB at work if I had to unless using a portable battery pack.(some barsteward would probably nick the lights)

Top Bottom