Today , by chance, I met a a Pro Cyclis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
A first for me , a very nice young Man named Alex Richardson , I was in one of the caf’s In Richmond Park and he parked his bike and came in with his young Son and sat at my table, I was interested in the group set on bike and started to chat about it , some other cyclists came over and started to chat him about his bike an exploits and I picked up he is a rider with some Professional Canyon mob , nice Lad , I looked him up on google , low and behold he gave up his day job as a stockbroker , won a race with no team backing him a year ago ,he’s off to Belgium next week partaking in a trading race ,
Good on Him !!,

I met one from the south west of England, pushed him off on a few TT`s, a miserable obnoxious tw*t!! You had a better experience than I did.........

Debade

Über Member
While biking in Italy, we needed some work on our bike and turned into a bike store. A rider from the UAE team was there. He was in the Tour 2018 but not 2019. We had a great conversation. He had visited the States. And we took a picture with him. A very nice guy.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I bumped into Ed Clancy in Durham on the weekend of whichever criterium series he was doing.

Affable lad who told me an amusing story about being sworn at by an elderly driver in a Rover, who he chased down and abused in return.

Seems the driver was surprised at being caught, not realising the cyclist on his tail was a multiple Olympic champion.

Stephenite

Membå
On a plane between Norway and UK in 2012. My, then, two year-old needed to stretch his legs and was allowed to run up and down the centre aisle for a bit. I was a bit worried in case there were any grumps who might start fussing but, being mostly Norwegian, people just read their in-flight magazines and quietly ignored him. Further back I noticed there was one kind face smiling encouragingly and it turned out to be Kurt Asle Arvesen.

Sharky

Guru
On my commute about 20 years ago, was caught by an ex pro and had a very nice chat with him. Another ex pro rides our evening 10's. Really nice bloke, but annoying. Now in his 70's and still churns out times I would have been happy with 50 years ago.

I’ve ridden with Danni King / Rowe a couple of times, one as part of a Ford ( the car manufacturer) initiative, she was an ‘ambassador’ and chose to come with the group I was leading. She’s really nice, and was chatting away all the way round. I also got to ride with Chris Froome a couple of years ago, because he put a call out, when he was doing some wind tunnel work at Southampton University. He was way beyond anything I’ve ever ridden with, in terms of speed / power, and on the bit of the ride we were both on, wasn’t really even approaching ‘opening the taps’:ohmy:. When we reached Winchester cathedral, he got a Bolide TT bike, out of the support van, and rode off to Gatwick, to get a flight to Tenerife, for a training camp:laugh:.

On one of our club rides about 5 years ago we ended up getting towed by Russ Downing and on another occasion the club had his brother (retired pro) as speaker at our trophy ceremony and leading a ride the next day. Lol, at the end of that he sprinted off with me on his wheel. At the end he apologised to the club it was the racer in him. At which point I had to point out I overtook him and finished ahead. Thoroughly nice chap and I had sat on his wheel. I've cycled with Dan Patten (former Wiggins rider) and a few female pros too.

Freds Dad

Veteran
I've met Jason and Laura Kenny a couple of time. Lovely couple who always have time to chat.

I also took part in sportive which Chris Hoy was the starter. He later joined the event and raced past me around the 25 mile mark.

I'm going to go for a spin with a local recently turned ex-Pro later this week, he is going to do a bike fit for me and suggested first we ride together and he can see what's what with my current fit and riding style.

I have raced with Pro's in the distant past in Pro-Am races in South Africa and once did a Charity Tour over 4 days with a few of SA's finest at the time. I live in the Algarve, Portugal now and we see local Pro teams around and some of the larger outfits on pre-season training from time to time, especially around the Volta ao Algarve Pro Tour.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I bumped into Ed Clancy in Durham on the weekend of whichever criterium series he was doing.

Affable lad who told me an amusing story about being sworn at by an elderly driver in a Rover, who he chased down and abused in return.

Seems the driver was surprised at being caught, not realising the cyclist on his tail was a multiple Olympic champion.
I was caught by Ed Clancy and his mate near Glossop. We rode together chatting for a few miles. Then we hit Holme Moss and he kept chatting....I suffered and then slid back and I never saw him again

Top Bottom