Today I had an oopsie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
Imagine a clipless moment, and then remember I don't ride "clipped" :blush:
I pulled up to a junction, quite a bit closer to the kerb than usual, had a bit of a wobble which I'm putting down to the uneven ground.
I was chuckling to myself as I hopped like a loon trying to regain my balance, and the guy in the car turning in wound down his window to ask if I was ok.
"oh yes, just think they moved the floor" I joked, as my hopping progressed to actual falling.
S'ok, bikes alright!
Although I managed to pop the tyre, so I had to walk to work where we also discovered I'd bent the front disc.
Quick service later and I rode home in record time, so not such a bad thing afterall.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think I know what you mean. There's a set of lights on my way home where there's a low retail park post-and-rail fence handily placed for a cyclist to rest their left foot on while waiting for the lights to change.

The :cursing: put the new fence about six inches further away from the kerb than the old one! I nearly gracefully flipped over the fence and I've seen other cyclists be surprised.

Everybody has a 'clipless' moment when they first start using. As long as you fall kerbside you should be ok. Train yourself to unclip kerbside first. Feel sory for the guy who stopped his motorbike at the traffic light and gracefully fell over, it was his first time in years without having a sidecar on his bike. Forgot to put his feet down. I had to laugh and he was ok :smile:

This is my second such "clipless" incident, both times on flat pedals. I swear the ground was not where I left it!
Fortunately I did see the funny side.
We all have our daft moments. I cycled into a ditch last year when I got a fly in my eye because my glasses were on my head and not my face, couldn't see where I was going. Fortunately I was on a cycle path and not a road

vickster

Legendary Member
My only clipless moment was due to a loose /lost cleat bolt on new shoes, I simply couldn't get my foot out of the pedal! Even in an emergency stop situation, I've managed somehow to unclip :smile:

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Ever pulled up alongside a road bollard - the white and yellow jobs - only to be reminded as your arm sinks right in that they invented the crash-proof one many years ago? Can't say I have.....

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Ever pulled up alongside a road bollard - the white and yellow jobs - only to be reminded as your arm sinks right in that they invented the crash-proof one many years ago? Can't say I have.....
Stopping and putting your foot on a retracting bollard as it sinks is sillier... trying to ride over one as it unretracts(?) would be worse.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've had the clips and straps version of the clipless moment several times over the last quarter of a century, they're just as embarrassing as the clipless moment

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've taken my foot off the pedal, coming to a halt, and expected it to find tarmac a few inches below. It doesn't work on speed bumps , unexpected potholes or random missing kerbstones. Massive adrenaline rush. At least you have a couple of seconds to prepare for the debacle if you can't unclip.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've taken my foot off the pedal, coming to a halt, and expected it to find tarmac a few inches below. It doesn't work on speed bumps , unexpected potholes or random missing kerbstones. Massive adrenaline rush. At least you have a couple of seconds to prepare for the debacle if you can't unclip.

Many years ago in an alley near where I lived I came to a stop put my foot down and couldn't find the floor, they had been working in the alley a couple of days before and had left a small hole in the ground, the one I put my foot into, I fell sideways, rolled across a garden wall and ended up laying in someones garden looking up at their roses, fortunately no damage to the bike and only a few bumps and bruises for me, it was early morning and dark so no one saw it and I just picked up my bike and continued to work.

Top Bottom