Today I had an oopsie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
I got into the habit of pottering about on an old step through Batavus city bike last summer. Went for a ride on my Carlton, went to stop at the side of the road to take a photo, forgot I wasn't riding my usual step through frame, caught my foot on the top tube and fell into the hedge:cursing:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I got into the habit of pottering about on an old step through Batavus city bike last summer. Went for a ride on my Carlton, went to stop at the side of the road to take a photo, forgot I wasn't riding my usual step through frame, caught my foot on the top tube and fell into the hedge:cursing:
Sorry ... but .... :giggle: ^_^ :laugh:

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
One of the funniest things I ever witnessed was an older gentleman attempting to swing his leg over the saddle to mount his bike and not realising it was a step thru frame !

Johnsop99

Veteran
Everybody has a 'clipless' moment when they first start using. As long as you fall kerbside you should be ok. Train yourself to unclip kerbside first. Feel sory for the guy who stopped his motorbike at the traffic light and gracefully fell over, it was his first time in years without having a sidecar on his bike. Forgot to put his feet down. I had to laugh and he was ok :smile:
I had the opposite of this. After years of riding solo bikes I got a sidecar outfit. First time I stopped I automatically put my left foot down and wacked my leg into one of the sidecar fitting brackets! Never made that mistake again.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
In the summer, I visited a neighbouring town on my bike, to check out the market. As I approached the main street, I found it had been block paved, marked as 'access only - no through traffic' and a 15mph speed limit imposed. As the market was about 100 yards further into the road I thought it reasonable to cycle the distance to the market. On reaching the market entrance I slowed and put out a foot to stand on the kerb., only to find that there was no longer any height difference between road surface and pavement height, and me and the bike simply fell sideways onto the pavement in a heap of embarrassment. One of the stall holders came across to see if I was ok and help me and the bike back to an upright position. Apparently I was not the first cyclist to be caught out like this, and I think it proves my theory that we often look, and see what we expect to see, not what is actually there. I remember, some years ago now, that a 30 second clip of film was shown to 4 different people from different viewpoints. 4 different versions of what had taken place where duly recorded by the witnesses, and then what had truly happened was revealed to them all, which in fact was not reflected in any of the statements. An interesting social experiment.

Top Bottom