Today I rode a £1900 bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Very nice it was too! Full carbon with Shimano Ultegra groupset, and RS80 wheels.

The ride wasn't very long; in fact it was up and down the aisles of the Decathlon shop in Glasgow :tongue:. Nice bike, but a bit too much of a full on road racing riding position for an old crock like me. Someone would have to be there to unfold me after every ride. Strange that it comes with a triple chainset? I am no club racer, but I would have thought that anyone going for a bike of that price and style would be looking for a double or compact? The sales assistant did say that others had made similar comments, and that they hadn't been selling well.

Sorry Decathlon, but even in the unlikely event of me ever being able to afford that sort of money for a bike, that wouldn't be the one for me. But thanks for trusting me with it for 30 seconds!

I know some folk who'd describe that as entry level :ohmy:

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
I know some folk who'd describe that as entry level :ohmy:

Yup; after I posted, it occurred to me that some folks would be looking at getting one of those as a winter hack. My (non-cycling) buddies on the other hand, think I am nuts because I bought a Tricross for £700, which I had to think long and hard about. Same buddies probably spend that over the bar in the pub in less than 2 months :rolleyes:.

U

User6179

Very nice it was too! Full carbon with Shimano Ultegra groupset, and RS80 wheels.

The ride wasn't very long; in fact it was up and down the aisles of the Decathlon shop in Glasgow :tongue:. Nice bike, but a bit too much of a full on road racing riding position for an old crock like me. Someone would have to be there to unfold me after every ride. Strange that it comes with a triple chainset? I am no club racer, but I would have thought that anyone going for a bike of that price and style would be looking for a double or compact? The sales assistant did say that others had made similar comments, and that they hadn't been selling well.

Sorry Decathlon, but even in the unlikely event of me ever being able to afford that sort of money for a bike, that wouldn't be the one for me. But thanks for trusting me with it for 30 seconds!

You do know it takes 5 minutes to take off the small ring off a triple turning it into a double, you can get special stems btw to lift the bars up if you want a more upright bike:smile:

Koga

Unless you are a (competition) racer, I don't see the issue with triple, but then I don't understand why a 50t chainring is often considered to small, unless you go downhill and really are in a hurry, a lot....

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
doesn't look too bad very similar to that Planet x job they have for sale?? Pretty sure Ive seen one in the flesh as well at Decathlon in Edinburgh, looked ok and alot of bike for the money?? However spending that sort of money you would have to look around at similarly priced!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Have a look at the 2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport, it is listed at £1600 but you'll get it for £1400 without even trying too hard. It has the very latest carbon technology from a major bike builder built into a frame that's designed for endurance riding by the older cyclist, yet it still feels fantastically stiff torsionally and so incredibly responsive, handling like a dream. The finishing kit is unexciting but you get a superb frame that is worth upgrading later with better wheels and components. Even the plain grey Roubaix SL4 will get you the same excellent frame for £1300, probably down to £1140 by the time they've given you 12.5% discount.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Have a look at the 2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport, it is listed at £1600 but you'll get it for £1400 without even trying too hard.

Cheers but I was only in Decathlon looking for some budget bits for a 1976 e-bay restoration job! I was thinking about spending £19 rather than £1900 :thumbsup:.
Just happened to be having a look at the Facet 5 when the hopeful salesman was walking past.

TBH, full on road bikes are way beyond my comfort zone. My Secteur is about as close as I need to a road bike.

Top Bottom