Today I saw something that I'd not seen in ages....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
She's not a milkfloat, but I drive an electric truck at work:
beryl 005.jpg

The roof mounted bread trays are an aftermarket addition...

She's actually a warehouse vehicle. Very simple to drive, and her low top speed makes her very relaxing to drive.

I sometimes wonder which of us NT comes to visit....;)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Arch

Married to Night Train
I've just found the ugly son of the Scarab!

753px-Shildon_Lorry_Museum_Scammell_Townsman.jpg

NT, it appears that Shildon not only has the Even More Northern wing of the NRM, but a lorry museum too! :hyper:

sunnyjim

They'll never catch on. I watched an impromptu race between Edinburgh St Cuthberts Dairy electric & horse milk floats some years ago, about the time they were moving from horses in the mid 1980's. For locals, from Gorgie Road up Ardmillan terrace past the 'Diggers' - to which I was headed, obviously. The electric started off in great style from the flat bit at the junction, but as the gradient got steeper it couldn't stay the pace and the horse pulled ahead easily. The horse had the additional advantage of moving along by itself while the milkman was taking the milk to peoples doors. OTOH, the electric version didn't try follow the driver into Greggs.

On Scarabs-. I have a Dinky Toy model of a tipper truck version with an open driving position- I've never seen one of these in the flesh or even a photo - did they ever really exist?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Apparently my work place did experiment with a horse briefly, but it kept walking off into the middle of the road. When the electric truck breaks down, we sometimes think a horse would do better, but they do take a bit of looking after....

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
NT, it appears that Shildon not only has the Even More Northern wing of the NRM, but a lorry museum too! :hyper:

The Northern wing of the NRM is wonderful but how did the lorry museum escape my attention?

I'm going to Darlington on Saturday - Shildon could be on the itinerary....

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well obviously I come to visit the one in the photo!:rolleyes:
But only one of you bothers to come visit me.;)

The ugly Scarab was during a sad time in British motoring history.^_^

Yebbut, if Beryl (that's the truck) came to visit you, she'd take a week to get there!

Arch

Married to Night Train
The Northern wing of the NRM is wonderful but how did the lorry museum escape my attention?

I'm going to Darlington on Saturday - Shildon could be on the itinerary....

I dunno if they have a website or anything, I googled and could only find references from third parties... Open weekends and Bank Holidays apparently.

Top Bottom