Today I saw something that I'd not seen in ages....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
When I was a kid, our milkman crashed his float into the telegraph pole outside our house. That made quite a noise, as the canopy was pushed back onto the milk, and several crates fell off the back.

Mum and Dad went out and helped him in, let him use our phone to call the dairy, made him a cuppa while they came out with a replacement float, and a recovery vehicle. Before he left, he gave them a pint of double cream as a thank you - that was unheard-of luxury for us.

My sister and I watched from our bedroom window while they recovered the milk float. We lived in a cul-de-sac, and the muppets hitched the float up to a tow bar behind a Land Rover, and then tried to turn it round! Even then, I could see they'd be better to turn it first, and then hitch up...

Brains

Legendary Member
When I was a kid, our milkman crashed his float into the telegraph pole outside our house. That made quite a noise, as the canopy was pushed back onto the milk, and several crates fell off the back.
had he had a couple of pints then?
How on earth do you crash a milk float ?

Arch

Married to Night Train

I gather he'd been driving with his cab light on, in the dark, so that he could see his order book, and the dark telegraph pole didn't show up well in the dark street with the internal reflections on the windscreen.

Our little electric truck, although she's slow, she has a decent acceleration (albeit only up to 12mph), so she takes off sharpish. I guess he stomped on the pedal between deliveries, and caught the post by surprise.

Night Train

Maker of Things
When I was at college in the late 80's a friend turned up late one day.
Apparently he crashed his car on the way in and had to find alternative transport.
I pressed further as he was being a bit sheepish about it and it turned out that he drove his car into the back of a stationary milkfloat at 40mph!:eek:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
When I was at college in the late 80's a friend turned up late one day.
Apparently he crashed his car on the way in and had to find alternative transport.
I pressed further as he was being a bit sheepish about it and it turned out that he drove his car into the back of a stationary milkfloat at 40mph!:eek:

I can think of a few horrific puns in response to that, but I'll leave it is it is, and take a moments silence to remember all those poor innocent bottles of milk lost in the line of duty

Top Bottom