Today I saw something that I'd not seen in ages....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Edwards80

Über Member
See one or two every day. The guy I spot in Stockport even once complained my Magicshine rears were too bright. I must have been curdling his milk. :wacko:

If it's the same one that comes down my road at 5am, it sounds EXACTLY like a tie fighter flying past my window, only a tie fighter covered in milk bottles. Noisy sod. :cursing:

I see a fair few of them about come to think of it!

Arch

Married to Night Train
central manchester has one.

I seem to remember that one of NT's local battery vehicle society contacts (pun intended) is a mechanic for a dairy running electric floats....

D

Deleted member 1258

She's not a milkfloat, but I drive an electric truck at work: View attachment 11003

The roof mounted bread trays are an aftermarket addition...

She's actually a warehouse vehicle. Very simple to drive, and her low top speed makes her very relaxing to drive.

I sometimes wonder which of us NT comes to visit....;)

Thats very similar to the electric trucks we had at the GEC in the 1980's, it was a very big site and they had various electric trucks to transport bits and pieces round the factory, I spent a couple of years working internal transport and spent a lot of time driving a tow tractor with a pair of four wheel steer trailers attached to it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If it's the same one that comes down my road at 5am, it sounds EXACTLY like a tie fighter flying past my window, only a tie fighter covered in milk bottles. Noisy sod. :cursing:

I see a fair few of them about come to think of it!

Might be, as aren't Lancashire Dairies up near McVitie's ?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I remember when we first moved in here, no electric milk float, no, a bloody diesel transit flat back at 5.00am. :cursing: For 1 house out of 12........

Fortunately everyone goes to the supermarket now.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I grew up with these on the streets.
6263163638_69472d736b.jpg

I drove one for a living. For four weeks. And, fair play to Unigate, they didn't mind that I only had a Californian driving license.

If the motor cut out the brakes cut out. Which is not good if you are going up a ramp out of an estate, because it goes in to reverse and accelerates backwards very, very rapidly. At which point your average atheist learns to pray.

The yard at Herne Hill was fantastic fun. Kids used to break in through the roof to steal milk. Can you imagine such a thing happening nowadays? We had a man who had four heart attacks at the wheel of his float, and the man who simply drove in to his parking space at the end of the shift without braking. The front end of the float was destroyed and he used to bounce off a metal rail with the front wheel.

The wildest bit was my interview. My brother, who worked at the yard in Streatham, had told me to take my time about the maths test, and to get one wrong. We had half an hour, and it took me two or three minutes (work out 8 pints at 12 and a half pence each). I sat out the rest of the allotted time and then carefully went back and (in)corrected an answer. Passed with flying colours!

The pay was decent, but, right at the interview I was told about the fiddles. One man had been delivering 12 pints a day to the back door of a convent in Clapham, and then running round to the front door and charging them for 20. For years! This was held up by the yard manager as exemplary.

After four weeks I pushed off to a six year stint on a farm in Buckinghamshire. If I'm honest, though, I've got more happy memories of my four week stint than I do of the succeeding six years.

We still have a float serving our street. The milk is twice the price of the supermarket.

Working from home today I've spotted three electric 'milk floats' go past the window.
One genuine milk float, one University vehicle (they use them for recycling I think) and one suspicious looking black covered van which has gone past twice....

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Ah, the late 70s and the sound of the Musselburgh & Fisherrow CoOp electric milk float, bottles clinking merrily away, coming down my street in Dalkeith with 'Milkie' the ever-cheery milkman.

Halcyon days...

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I remember when we first moved in here, no electric milk float, no, a bloody diesel transit flat back at 5.o get 00am. :cursing: For 1 house out of 12........

Fortunately everyone goes to the supermarket now.
I was a milkman up till 8 years ago, 5 am was at least 3 hours into the working day as i was one of the last to leave the depot atr 2.30 am 6 days a week in all weathers as the company thought that people wanted milk on the door step before they went to work .This meant going out delivering your round and then you spent another 2-3 days having to go back out and collect the money so you were clocking 60 + hours a week every week , you could be on the go from 2 am to 6-7 pm at night pretty much straight on a friday.
As customers moved to the supermarkets that were able to use milk etc as loss leaders the milk companies were unable to compete, rounds had to get longer to make it "profitable " as you needed to be clearing at least 500 gallon a week to pay the way .This meant by the time i was close to finishing i could be doing 40+ miles a day which was to much of a strain on the batteries and to slow to make it viable.In fact in our area the guys now do 2 rounds on alternate days .

When i started we were starting at leats 2 hours later and all using electrics,the milkman was part of the community helping the customers with more than just a pint of milk by being a regular point of contact.You knew if someone was ill, been broken into or might be in need of help and it was repricated as i even had a customer offer to pay for my our ( as a free loan ) . So the rise of supermarkets, greater car ownership etc has deprived the communtiy of part of its soul because people would rather save a few pence.

Night Train

Maker of Things
As customers moved to the supermarkets that were able to use milk etc as loss leaders the milk companies were unable to compete,

So the rise of supermarkets, greater car ownership etc has deprived the communtiy of part of its soul because people would rather save a few pence.
And now people are having their supermarket shopping delivered.

I'm sure there must be a case, even if it needs inventing, to get the humble electric float back onto the regular local delivery runs.
I know some supermarkets have trialed electric vans for this.

May also be a good reason to get electric assist Cycles Maximus trikes back in production.

Top Bottom